The Student Room Group

Should I buy a PS4?

I'm thinking to get a new video game console after becoming bored of the Nintendo 3DS. I've had a look at the PlayStation 4 and, frankly, the only games that interest me are Tearaway, Little Big Planet and Flower. Are there any other games that are similar to those? I'm really not into GTA or CoD. Or should I just not buy the whole thing?

(edited 7 years ago)
Upgraded ps4 on Nov 10 called the PS4 Pro. Loy of people will ditch theirs or they will get discounted a bit.
Also releasing journey on ps4. Doesnt sound like many games.
No one can answer this but you. Look at the games that are on there, look at gameplay or trailers if you must, then you'll know. That's all there is to it.

But judging from the games you listed, you like cutesy games. I don't think there is a lot of that on either PS4 or Xbox One.

Original post by 999tigger
PS4 Pro. Loy of people will ditch theirs or they will get discounted a bit.

This is untrue. Also it's unlikely she has a 4K TV so would be useless for her.

And Journey is already on PS4... in fact it's 'free' on PS Plus this month.
Obviously your choice at the end of the day, but if you are only wanting a PS4 for those 3 games I would definitely get a discounted one. There are loads of game on Playstation which you may like which you would have to research. From my experience of having a PS4 and not playing GTA/Cod/Fifa there just isn't any games that I wanted to play. I ended up keeping it to play a Yu-Gi-Oh game I just feel like it wasn't worth the money for me but you know, everyone is different.
You're better off putting the £400 into a PC that will be useful for other things. You could pick up a cheap 2nd hand ps4 but it might be worth waiting. Once the pro comes out the original should go down in price again.
Original post by honour
I'm thinking to get a new video game console after becoming bored of the Nintendo 3DS. I've had a look at the PlayStation 4 and, frankly, the only games that interest me are Tearaway, Little Big Planet and Flower. Are there any other games that are similar to those? I'm really not into GTA or CoD. Or should I just not buy the whole thing?

I'd probably say wait till the release of the new and improved version of the PS4, the PS4 pro. On the other hand you could wait till next year to buy Microsoft's new 4K console or you could buy a PC. It comes down to (among other things) whether your more comfortable playing on Xbox, Playstation or PC, which games you enjoy playing the most, which exclusives you enjoy playing the most (e.g. would you want to play games from the Uncharted Series or Halo Series. Would you want to play The Last Of Us or Sunset Overdrive), do you appreciate graphics more than game-play or game-play more than graphics or both or are you satisfied with medium end graphics, what platform do your friends play on. Basically there is a bunch of stuff you need to consider before you buy a new console. One last thing to mention as well, the PS4 Pro and Microsoft's 4K Xbox Console cam both play games at 4K resolution, though the difference between the PS4 Pro and Microsoft's console is that Microsoft's console can display games in native 4K while the PS4 Pro only upscale's the games to 4K (i.e. not completely 4K). To add on to that, Microsoft says that it's new console would be the most powerful of it's generation and at the moment it looks that way. From the info released the console is substantially more powerful than the PS4 Pro in terms of processing power and graphics.

Edit: To get the full experience of using either of the 4K consoles you will need a 4K TV. You can still use them on a 720p, 1080p Tv but it will not be as good as when played on a 4K Display.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by honour

Yes! im going to buy one this coming week john lewis have a bundle uncharted 4 most say the best ever playstation game watch some vids and you may get a taste along with no mans sky which im going to ask if i can exchange the game for game of similar price.

its really cheap 250gb hardrive all for £250. The offer ends soon i think
Reply 7
The kind of games you're interested in are found in abundance in PC already. And you don't need cutting edge specs either - chances are you already have a computer that can run Child of Light, Ori and the Blind Forest, etc

If you can somehow find enough PS4 exclusives to pique your interest, go for it. Otherwise, stick with you pc or laptop and save £300
Original post by honour

If you're just looking for a PS4 and do not care about the upcoming new one, GAME has a sale going on for the PS4 (Original version) with Uncharted 4 and No Man's Sky for £249.99 with NOW TV. You could just sell the games and get the cash to buy credit (assuming you don't like them).

To your second part of your post, I would say yes but they're very rare. There's nothing like Tearaway and LBP on the PS4, Unravel is close but still different. Flower on the other hand is very niche but there are games very similar to it.
Reply 9
The PS4 isn't great in my opinion so no, don't get PS4.
Well, I've never played GTA or CoD, or any of the other games you have mentioned yet I spend so much time on my PS4.

There is a huge number of games available. You've got to dig deeper! Some are simply indie too but they can be amazing. I'd definitely recommend the PS4 to anyone. Even my friends who own an Xbox One regret it and wish they'd bought a PS4 instead haha.*
I picked up a PS4 about 2 months back and love it, been bingeing Withcer 3, Doom and Uncharted...nest console I've owned. Also, here is a handy guardian article on whether it's worth waiting for the new PS4 https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/14/xbox-project-scorpion-playstation-4-pro-nintendo-nx-consoles-beginners-guide
Reply 12
im not anti ps4 but you should check out xbox. it has game pass and it is nice to look through all the games and choose something new.