The Student Room Group

which A-levels should I pick??

I'm thinking of which A levels to pick at GCSEs I got 4A*s 6As and 1B, here are some combinations I can pick, please help me choose!!

1. Biology (even though I dont need it in the future), government and politics /philosophy (dont know much about philosophy), history and as business studies /as sociology

2. Sociology, Maths (even though I got a B at gcse maths but I got in because I passed the entry maths exam but maybe I will struggle and fail?), history and as business studies

3.Sociology, gov and pol, history and as business studies

4. English literature, gov and pol / philosophy, history and as business studies /as sociology
Original post by valdokarina
I'm thinking of which A levels to pick at GCSEs I got 4A*s 6As and 1B, here are some combinations I can pick, please help me choose!!

1. Biology (even though I dont need it in the future), government and politics /philosophy (dont know much about philosophy), history and as business studies /as sociology

2. Sociology, Maths (even though I got a B at gcse maths but I got in because I passed the entry maths exam but maybe I will struggle and fail?), history and as business studies

3.Sociology, gov and pol, history and as business studies

4. English literature, gov and pol / philosophy, history and as business studies /as sociology

well it really depends on what you want to do after a levels and which subjects would be best for that. like if you wanna do a course at uni then what subjects would you need, if you wanted a job what would it mainly involve etc. if you still can't decide then just pick the subjects you enjoy the most, chances are they are probably what you will do best in anyway and what you will end up needing in your future
I wouldn't pick maths unless you are really willing to work HARD and want it really badly. I know people who got A's and A*s in gcse maths, but really struggled at a level. one of my friends dropped who got an A at gcse dropped it halfway through AS because she found it so difficult. Then again, it is a very good a level to have, so if you know you will work really hard, it's very possible you could do fine in it, everyone is different :smile:

As smartalan said, it's best to pick subjects you enjoy as it will make it so much easier, even better if they are related to the future career you want! Also, even though biology isn't related to your future, it is a very respected a level like maths, even if you decide to only do an as and drop it after the first year to carry on subjects that are more related to what you want to do :smile:

Main advice though is pick the subjects you enjoy!!
Reply 3
Original post by Laurenloops
I wouldn't pick maths unless you are really willing to work HARD and want it really badly. I know people who got A's and A*s in gcse maths, but really struggled at a level. one of my friends dropped who got an A at gcse dropped it halfway through AS because she found it so difficult. Then again, it is a very good a level to have, so if you know you will work really hard, it's very possible you could do fine in it, everyone is different :smile:

As smartalan said, it's best to pick subjects you enjoy as it will make it so much easier, even better if they are related to the future career you want! Also, even though biology isn't related to your future, it is a very respected a level like maths, even if you decide to only do an as and drop it after the first year to carry on subjects that are more related to what you want to do :smile:

Main advice though is pick the subjects you enjoy!!

I think I can work really hard for maths but maybe in the exam it will get too hard? And sadly I cant drop maths or biology after AS. It's very hard to pick subjects I enjoy when we have to pick from blocks and they aren't very good but thank you for the advice :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by smartalan73
well it really depends on what you want to do after a levels and which subjects would be best for that. like if you wanna do a course at uni then what subjects would you need, if you wanted a job what would it mainly involve etc. if you still can't decide then just pick the subjects you enjoy the most, chances are they are probably what you will do best in anyway and what you will end up needing in your future

I understand, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest