The Student Room Group

24, no degree, no career prospects...depressed and going nowhere in life

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shawn_o1
Same OP, except I do have a degree and its value has already diminished. I'm stuck because I'm still deliberating whether to study for a master's or get work (which isn't succeeding)

whats your degree in?
Hi.
I recommend reading a book called "How To Be F*cking Awesome". Honestly, will just help you motivate yourself and get your life back on track.
2) You have good written communication skills. Great. You just need to now make the effort to find your niche and find and opportunity which is for you. Trust me, there will be one, but as you're feeling so down right now, you are just struggling to see it.

so...
read the book, make the effort, then change your life. You can do it, really.
I am extremely shy but over the yrs it has improved little by little I now find it easier to make friends and to ask questions at work although big groups are still difficult. I have recently been reading feel the fear and do it anyway and it's an amazing little book full of positivity and good advice I would recommend it to you. I am 25 and want to be a teacher so it is important for me to learn to be more confident in myself. Think about your goals and take small steps each day to reach them. I'm going to start tutoring a few hours a week in a tuition centre to help my confidence grow. For the depression definitely see a doctor, I've been through it and it socks.
Original post by CorneliusRT
I don't really know where to begin. The title pretty much sums it up. My life is a colossal mess.

I can't drive, having never had a single lesson, and I currently don't earn enough to pay for lessons AND buy a car plus all the insurance that goes with it.

I am grateful for my job in the shop, having been long-term unemployed before, but as it is a designer brand it is geared towards hard-selling, which my social anxiety is not suited for. I am expected to meet sales targets and have to come up with innovative ways to boost sales in my area. I often feel completely incapable of this and so I sometimes dread going to work, particularly if I am criticised when my area has not been selling lately.

I believe my written communication is very good, yet I am incredibly nervous in interviews.

And above all, I have absolutely no motivation to do anything. Trying to dig myself out of this hole feels like an enormous struggle. I find myself just sitting in my room, vegetating in the front of the computer or staring out of the window. Or I buy things online just for that bit of excitement when something arrives in the post, which is short-lived.

I'm supposed to be enjoying my weekend off of work. Instead, I have just sat in my pyjamas for the last two days, not showering or grooming, eating sporadically, going to bed late and sleeping in.

I'll give you some help here
I'm 21 and I can't drive either
pressure selling is one thing I can't and won't do
dead opposite I can't write for s**t but I can talk for days in any setting
you need to find some motivation look at something that you can't afford (really can't so not even a year of saving everything will buy it) or make a list of everything and aim towards that goal
I do the same when I occasionally give myself time off

have you considered setting up your own business doing something you love
I did it and 4 years ago I was making £3,000 a year now I am on track to make £250,000 this year so things can change if you work hard doing what you love
Original post by RomeoSantos
whats your degree in?

Computer science. Means **** all now. I blame myself for not having that attitude that stands out from the rest, instead choosing to blame government policies for depleting the workforce or incompetent agents who don't know what they're looking for
Computer science. Means **** all now. I blame myself for not having that attitude that stands out from the rest, instead choosing to blame government policies for depleting the workforce or incompetent agents who don't know what they're looking for

why does it mean nothing now, the stuff you learnt is outdated or something?
Original post by RomeoSantos
why does it mean nothing now, the stuff you learnt is outdated or something?

the degree is full of knowledge but almost no application. Made worse by the overinflated job descriptions for entry-level IT. I've made it harder for myself by being sacked.
the degree is full of knowledge but almost no application. Made worse by the overinflated job descriptions for entry-level IT. I've made it harder for myself by being sacked.

ahh i see. But a computer science degree is not useless is it normally graduates do quite well i think
Reply 28
I've seriously never relayed to anything more. I'm 21 and have just found out o haven't got into the next year of University and I know it's because my depression just made it impossible to keep up and stay functioning. At some point this week I have to call up my mum and break the news. I'm going to be hurting my family so much. Then I'll have to move back to my box room at my mums with no job, a ton of debt and absolutely no prospects! Most people don't know I have depression and think I'm doing fine, I'm dreading having to tell everyone what happened and why I have to move back. I just thought I'd let you know that you're not alone, life is ****.
Original post by Bel1806
I've seriously never relayed to anything more. I'm 21 and have just found out o haven't got into the next year of University and I know it's because my depression just made it impossible to keep up and stay functioning. At some point this week I have to call up my mum and break the news. I'm going to be hurting my family so much. Then I'll have to move back to my box room at my mums with no job, a ton of debt and absolutely no prospects! Most people don't know I have depression and think I'm doing fine, I'm dreading having to tell everyone what happened and why I have to move back. I just thought I'd let you know that you're not alone, life is ****.

have u asked for any help from uni? xx
Same OP, except I do have a degree and its value has already diminished. I'm stuck because I'm still deliberating whether to study for a master's or get work (which isn't succeeding)

Same. Got a first-class in physics and not much better off for it so far. Now the masters courses are all starting and i dont know what to do but afraid of wasting another year.
Original post by mouse81321
Same. Got a first-class in physics and not much better off for it so far. Now the masters courses are all starting and i dont know what to do but afraid of wasting another year.

Sure, you don't get much attention with just a physics degree but what about looking at the jobs that accept physics graduates that have other skills that they look for?
Reply 32
Sure, you don't get much attention with just a physics degree but what about looking at the jobs that accept physics graduates that have other skills that they look for?

Yeah I've applied for different things but been unsuccessful. I need to strengthen my mediocre programming skills before applying for IT work (I think). One of my MSc offers is in operational research so I don't know if I can even handle it right now. I just feel ****ed.
I would strongly advise you watch Erics Thomas's videos.

They are very motivational.
Hey!
Sorry to hear about that. I think that regular discipline in doing things that clearly defined and manageable is important. So definitely work out and do some online courses. Try thinking about what would you actually enjoy doing ? I know, sometimes the answer could be just eating pizza and watching Youtube, but every person has some interests.

Quick Reply

Latest