Original post by TSR Mustafa
babe it's been too long :love::love::love:

Not sure how to respond erm

Mustafa x Anonymous?
Original post by Plagioclase
Mustafa x Anonymous?

I have my ways :colone:
Original post by champ_mc99
Do Israel have any future plans to build on the temple mount? (Bit of a conspiracy question but why not? :tongue:)

Most Jews agree that they should not enter the Temple Mount as it is too sacred, so any construction there would be largely opposed by Jews and Muslims. The rumours that flared up a while ago were baseless and only served to upset Palestinians so they'd attack Israelis.

Original post by malebo55
What if you just don't want to, and don't really have a reason?

Do you think Israel will still need conscription in the future as its relations with its neighbours continue to improve (Turkey/Saudi/etc)?

If you just really didn't want to, that would count as pacifism or reluctance to serve? People are typically assessed on a case-by-case basis and will either be exempt or put in a very plain role that suits them. I am pretty sure poor motivation will count as a medical reason too

I think as our major neighbours (Turkey, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi) become closer with the West there will be less demand for ground troops produced by conscription as a conventional war becomes less likely. Despite this, increasing attacks by Palestinians maintain the need for a large army/police to ensure security. I think it will stay around for many more years as it is a valuable part of our society :smile:

@AlexanderHam I will do yours in the morning! It is 3am here and I am on duty soon!
Original post by Anonymous
Most Jews agree that they should not enter the Temple Mount as it is too sacred, so any construction there would be largely opposed by Jews and Muslims. The rumours that flared up a while ago were baseless and only served to upset Palestinians so they'd attack Israelis.

If you just really didn't want to, that would count as pacifism or reluctance to serve? People are typically assessed on a case-by-case basis and will either be exempt or put in a very plain role that suits them. I am pretty sure poor motivation will count as a medical reason too

I think as our major neighbours (Turkey, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi) become closer with the West there will be less demand for ground troops produced by conscription as a conventional war becomes less likely. Despite this, increasing attacks by Palestinians maintain the need for a large army/police to ensure security. I think it will stay around for many more years as it is a valuable part of our society :smile:

Thanks for your responses. :smile:

@AlexanderHam I will do yours in the morning! It is 3am here and I am on duty soon!

No problemo, I shall wait for tomorrow. Be safe

I think as our major neighbours (Turkey, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi) become closer with the West there will be less demand for ground troops produced by conscription as a conventional war becomes less likely.

Leaving aside the military necessaity, do you think, though, that military conscription is almost as important as a social and political binding force for Israeli society, as it is for military purposes? Almost like because of Israel's history with the kibbutz, and because many of its people come from elsewhere to live in Israel, that having that shared experience of being in the army binds the Israeli people together. It's a kind of collective institution by all Israelis, for all Israelis.

Also given Israel's security situation, it means almost all citizens have at least some understanding of the defence of the country and a means to empathise with those who are called to serve during various conflicts

It underlines that the IDF is a people's army, a bit like the Nahal brigade. Do you see what I'm getting at or am I babbling?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AlexanderHam
Of course they don't. That's a bigoted conspiracy theory pushed by Islamic fanatics who know that such claims are likely to stir up hatred against Israel by people who are already inclined to believe the worst no matter what.

After the '67 war Israel could have simply bulldozed the mosque and taken it back. It didn't; in fact, it put the Temple Mount under the control of the Islamic waqf, and ever since Israeli police have kept Jews and others out much of the year, at the behest of the Islamic clerics who control the area.

If Israel wanted to build on the Temple Mount, it would hardly have done all that, would it?

I think first heard about it from a white guy (I think it was crash course).

I remember Hitchens saying something along those lines (bu not exactly blaming Israel).
(edited 7 years ago)
Posted in relationships because so not a direct link to my main account (even though many can probably guess who this is)

Spoiler

Would you ever consider bringing your country back into Palestine's borders, or would you fear that their Gov would just move in and kill you all.
Original post by champ_mc99
I think first heard about it from a white guy (I think it was crash course).

I remember Hitchens saying something along those lines (bu not exactly blaming Israel).

You heard it from a white guy? I'm not sure I understand. A crash course in what?

I wouldn't be surprised if Hitch mentioned that fanatical ultra-orthodox Jews in Israel have some crazy plans to build a third temple. Just as the Westboro Baptist Church in the US has some crazy plans.

It's all by-the-by given it has been the consistent policy of the Israeli government, both Labour and Likud, to leave the Temple Mount area (excepting the Western Wall) under the control of the Islamic waqf to the point of allowing them to exclude non-Muslims. Israel has been more than fair on this point, they should be given credit not made the subject of conspiracy theories which only serve to stir up the Muslims (who really don't need very much to set them off)
you are disgusting come back to the UK and give Israel back to the Palestinians as you are living in an apartheid nation I don't understand how you can even justify living in such a place you are a vile human being
Posted in relationships because so not a direct link to my main account (even though many can probably guess who this is)

Spoiler

If you received an order that you knew would harm civilians what would you do ?

Also what do you think of Netanyahu ? I think he's a complete plonker who will lead half the world to war, especially with his anti-diplomacy pro-war "Iran is evil America we demand more money ! " kind of attitude.
(edited 7 years ago)
You heard it from a white guy? I'm not sure I understand. A crash course in what?

I wouldn't be surprised if Hitch mentioned that fanatical ultra-orthodox Jews in Israel have some crazy plans to build a third temple. Just as the Westboro Baptist Church in the US has some crazy plans.

It's all by-the-by given it has been the consistent policy of the Israeli government, both Labour and Likud, to leave the Temple Mount area (excepting the Western Wall) under the control of the Islamic waqf to the point of allowing them to exclude non-Muslims. Israel has been more than fair on this point, they should be given credit not made the subject of conspiracy theories which only serve to stir up the Muslims (who really don't need very much to set them off)

It's the name of a sort of YouTube series. Yeah a white guy. It might have been Reza Aslan instead - can't fully recall.

Yeah he also some mentioned crazy Christians that support this idea.
(edited 7 years ago)
Most Jews agree that they should not enter the Temple Mount as it is too sacred, so any construction there would be largely opposed by Jews and Muslims. The rumours that flared up a while ago were baseless and only served to upset Palestinians so they'

Oh right. So is that part of the theology sort of phased out/ignored (for now/left to the far distant future)?
Original post by mcneill98
If you received an order that you knew would harm civilians what would you do ?

Maybe you can clarify precisely what you mean by "an order to harm civilians".

If you mean an order by an Israeli officer to target civilians, with no military objective in mind but merely an attack on civilians, then of course he wouldn't because such an order is illegal under the IDF rules and military laws. All IDF personnel are entitled to disobey such an illegal order.

If you mean a mission in which there is a risk civilians will be harmed, then that is the unfortunate nature of war. The UK and US engaged in strategic bombing missions (against Dresden, for example) which had the express objective of killing civilians so that workers would be killed and could not go to work in war production.

Israel has never carried out an operation like that. It behooves Westerners not to be so blinkered and historically ignorant when they judge Israel for carrying out operations that are not designed to harm civilians but have that unfortunate side effect when their own countries have deliberately targeted civilians on a mass-scale in wartime
Original post by samaad1
you are disgusting come back to the UK and give Israel back to the Palestinians as you are living in an apartheid nation I don't understand how you can even justify living in such a place you are a vile human being

While I am no fan of Israeli policies, this is no longer an option.
Bilateral talks must be held, and ample pressure put on Israel by countries like the US and the UK to stop land settlements, occupation of Golan Heights, Shebaa farms etc.
Settle and occupy foreign territory and the west gives you money,
Wave a Palestine flag at a match in solidarity and you got fined for being provocative.
I think we know where political priorities there, the problem isn't fully with Israel but with it's supporting allies that turn a blind eye.

Spoiler

how many children/khamas child soldiers have you killed?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mcneill98
While I am no fan of Israeli policies, this is no longer an option.
Bilateral talks must be held, and ample pressure put on Israel by countries like the US and the UK to stop land settlements, occupation of Golan Heights, Shebaa farms etc.
Settle and occupy foreign territory and the west gives you money,
Wave a Palestine flag at a match in solidarity and you got fined for being provocative.
I think we know where political priorities there, the problem isn't fully with Israel but with it's supporting allies that turn a blind eye.

I believe in a single state solution Palestine and that's it all the jews should stay where they are but it won't be israel anymore
Original post by samaad1
anti shekelmite!
Maybe you can clarify precisely what you mean by "an order to harm civilians".

If you mean an order by an Israeli officer to target civilians, with no military objective in mind but merely an attack on civilians, then of course he wouldn't because such an order is illegal under the IDF rules and military laws. All IDF personnel are entitled to disobey such an illegal order.

If you mean a mission in which there is a risk civilians will be harmed, then that is the unfortunate nature of war. The UK and US engaged in strategic bombing missions (against Dresden, for example) which had the express objective of killing civilians so that workers would be killed and could not go to work in war production.

Israel has never carried out an operation like that. It behooves Westerners not to be so blinkered and historically ignorant when they judge Israel for carrying out operations that are not designed to harm civilians but have that unfortunate side effect when their own countries have deliberately targeted civilians on a mass-scale in wartime

UN shelters are not war targets mate.
Did you never hear of Gaza ? WW2 was a serious threat that killed millions, this is a few crazy nutjobs with old rockets that can barely fly being wither immediately shot down or landing in the desert. The vast vast majority killed where civilians, even shot by sniper fire.
What reason does Israel have for occupying the Golan Heights ? the Shebaa farms, colluding with the UK and France to illegally invade the Sinai during the Suez canal crisis ? Many Egyptians were killed in this attack simply to make profit. America even recognised that it was crazy.

The US, UK, France and Germany are the biggest supporters of Israel. These countries did commit atrocities.

I live in Ireland. We are neutral and have never officially been to war or had conflict. Before you say the IRA or rebellions, the IRA does not represent normal Irish people in any way and in fact are widely hated in Ireland.
Rebels followed a catholic code that forbade all killing except when necessary, near all attacks where on military and police personnel.
Original post by samaad1
I believe in a single state solution Palestine and that's it all the jews should stay where they are but it won't be israel anymore
I believe in a two state solution, with the return of the occupied territories (including the Golan Heights, West Bank etc) to there rightful ownersI am almost certain that if this were to happen it would eventually lead to true peace between the Arabs and the Jews.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending