The Student Room Group

A level Product Design

I'm currently doing A level product design and it's my first year. I want to get ahead in the coursework but don't know what i'm meant to be doing.. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by zerin19999
I'm currently doing A level product design and it's my first year. I want to get ahead in the coursework but don't know what i'm meant to be doing.. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Is it AQA? Have you started your coursework yet? For my AQA product design coursework I have to put together a powerpoint presentation on the chosen design I want to manufacture. Do you have to do the same? If so start of with what you want to make and write about things like why you have chosen this product, who is your client, inspiration and existing product analysis. I don't know if this helps but if so you can ask me any other questions you have. You should ask your teacher for a copy of last years coursework which would give you a guide on what you need to include etc.

Did Product Design at A-level, currently at Uni studying it.

Is this AS or A2? Really you just want to have an idea of what product / solution you are doing, and reasearch anything related.

We too had to make a powerpoint, you'd normally identify a target market, brief, related products, a breakdown of whatever product you're improving (if this is AS), product analysis, researching similar products, materials research, but I can't really tailor what you need to do until we have specifics.

On my course we got a really big thick book which had more than enough information in it. The first 90 or so pages show examples of previous work done on powerpoint.
Reply 3
Original post by lmg1
Is it AQA? Have you started your coursework yet? For my AQA product design coursework I have to put together a powerpoint presentation on the chosen design I want to manufacture. Do you have to do the same? If so start of with what you want to make and write about things like why you have chosen this product, who is your client, inspiration and existing product analysis. I don't know if this helps but if so you can ask me any other questions you have. You should ask your teacher for a copy of last years coursework which would give you a guide on what you need to include etc.

Thank you for the reply, yes like i mentioned it's my first year at sixth form so this is currently AS, i don't the exam board yet but 95% either Edexcel or AQA. Yes we got the same coursework i believe and so far we have to write things about Steel. We are currently talking about the production of steel; how it's made, the process and etc. Also what is still used for and what product's it's used for
Reply 4
Original post by JoshDawg
Did Product Design at A-level, currently at Uni studying it.

Is this AS or A2? Really you just want to have an idea of what product / solution you are doing, and reasearch anything related.

We too had to make a powerpoint, you'd normally identify a target market, brief, related products, a breakdown of whatever product you're improving (if this is AS), product analysis, researching similar products, materials research, but I can't really tailor what you need to do until we have specifics.

On my course we got a really big thick book which had more than enough information in it. The first 90 or so pages show examples of previous work done on powerpoint.

Thank you for the reply, yes like i mentioned it's my first year at sixth form so this is currently AS, i don't the exam board yet but 95% either Edexcel or AQA. Yes we got the same coursework i believe and so far we have to write things about Steel. We are currently talking about the production of steel; how it's made, the process and etc. Also what is still used for and what product's it's used for

All of that info is useful. Every bit of it. You're expected to know manufacturing process of not just products but materials, which metals are better for which uses, what environmental impacts does production of the material and use for it in your design solution have. All of these points you bring up and how it relates to your product. You should be getting told what points to cover in your powerpoints (if you are doing it on there).

What we did at AS was to look at an existing product, and improve it. We never had to make it, just models of the product and a finished design solution. I did a computer mouse which had relocated mouse buttons so people with clawed hands could use it. Any product ideas in mind? There is quite literally a ton of stuff to do but the trick with coursework is just to do bits at a time, because if it's saved till the last minute it can never be completely finished.
Reply 6
Yes we've already been given the product too. It's a laptop stand and we have to find the right material to put it in there to help and improve it. Also we have to research a lot about the materials, just like previously the things you mentioned, we're doing that as well and yes we're also doing it on PowerPoint. I've already collected my information and everything settled because I want to get ahead of the game, btw do you have any ideas of how I should be presenting my work on the PowerPoint and the layout and the type of things to talk about, also if you have any information you can pass onto me, I would high appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest