The Student Room Group

Confused about AS / A2 grades weighting applying to uni

I have never really thought about it until now, but what do AS grades stand for when applying to uni? I did worse than what was predicted of me at AS Level (ABBB as compared to AAAA), and I believe I am further predicted A*A*A at A2.

Which of the actual AS results compared to the predicted A2 results matter more? AS results are tangible and at least must stand for something compared to meagre predictions. If so, should I not apply to courses at competitive universities like UCL or Edinburgh? I say this because of course final A2 results take precedence over all, but unis make offers on what? AS results or A2 predictions, or both?

Sorry if this is all over the place I am, as you can see, so confused as to (a) which matter more and (b) if AS results then matter at all the first time around? :confused::confused:
They make decisions based upon both. Predictions matter more however the closer your actual AS grades are to your predictions, the better.
Reply 2
Why are you predicted 3 A*s when you achieved one A and 3 Bs?
Reply 3
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
They make decisions based upon both. Predictions matter more however the closer your actual AS grades are to your predictions, the better.

Ah, thank you. I think I've managed to wrap my head around it a bit more.
Reply 4
Original post by sarskinz
Why are you predicted 3 A*s when you achieved one A and 3 Bs?

2 A*, 1 A. Also complacency in simple terms. I was 'guaranteed' 4 As, or so I thought. :biggrin:
Original post by nebulated
2 A*, 1 A. Also complacency in simple terms. I was 'guaranteed' 4 As, or so I thought. :biggrin:

It's going to be harder to secure offers from places that need AAA at A2 than it is, those that need A*A*A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending