The Student Room Group

Are my My A Level subject choices bad??

Okay, so im going to start A Levels on tuesday and the subjects i chose were

- English Language and English Literature
- ICT
- Media Studies

I feel like, personally theyre okay subjects, but compared to what other people have chosen, arent good because they dont contain any Maths or sciences.

Maths and science arent really what im good at. It would be me a C/B student vs A* students, and i wouldnt do well. Plus, i dont really plan to go Uni, so i feel like Maths and science only really comes in handy if youre going into a kinda medical/ maths profession.

Idk, are my A level subject choices bad? I enjoy the subjects ive chosen but idk
In summary, if they work for you then they can't be bad. Not all careers, as you have rightly said, require maths or sciences. As an addition to you enjoying (I assume) the subjects you took, you even said yourself that you're best at them. So long as you enjoy the subjects the I would be certain to say regardless things will work out, so no, they're not 'bad'. :smile:
Reply 2
Honesly **** what other people do! Just do whats right for u and it depends what u want to do in future what field u want to go in. If u wanna go into maths and science related jobs then sure but if not then its just a waste
I don't think any subjects are bad choices and I don't think certain subjects are harder than others. This is coming from someone who did maths, physics, chemistry and biology at A-level. At GCSE I got an A* in maths but a C in I.T.

If you like your subjects, do them. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
I know it may sound so early to do this but start planning what you are going to do when you leave sixth form. I'm in year 13 and I regret not doing this and I've just made my life harder.
The subjects you choose are only bad if they're subjects you don't want to do and don't enjoy. Don't feel pressured to do subjects that are considered 'academic' just because others do them. Part of the reason that there are no compulsory subjects at A-Levels is because by this time you've had an experience of a variety of subjects and know what you thrive in and what you want to pursue. If you enjoy your subjects that's all that matters, what's the point in doing a subject you despise and not even getting a good grade in it? Also, there's no good or bad subjects at A level, each subject is suited for a different type of person and is not a sign of a person's capability, every subject is hard.

Don't worry about your subjects! Just do you :smile:
Reply 6
@nebulated

Thank you! Its just, subjects like ICT and Media studies are said to be "dumbed down subjects" so i feel a bit :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Jay2kt
Honesly **** what other people do! Just do whats right for u and it depends what u want to do in future what field u want to go in. If u wanna go into maths and science related jobs then sure but if not then its just a waste

Thats slightly reassuring. Thank You!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by L-Lawliet
I know it may sound so early to do this but start planning what you are going to do when you leave sixth form. I'm in year 13 and I regret not doing this and I've just made my life harder.

I plan to do something with English as its probably the subject im the best at and i got A*s in both literature and language in the GCSE exams!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by nebulated
In summary, if they work for you then they can't be bad. Not all careers, as you have rightly said, require maths or sciences. As an addition to you enjoying (I assume) the subjects you took, you even said yourself that you're best at them. So long as you enjoy the subjects the I would be certain to say regardless things will work out, so no, they're not 'bad'. :smile:

Thank you! Its just, subjects like ICT and Media studies are said to be "dumbed down subjects" so i feel a bit :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by imjustnotnormal
The subjects you choose are only bad if they're subjects you don't want to do and don't enjoy. Don't feel pressured to do subjects that are considered 'academic' just because others do them. Part of the reason that there are no compulsory subjects at A-Levels is because by this time you've had an experience of a variety of subjects and know what you thrive in and what you want to pursue. If you enjoy your subjects that's all that matters, what's the point in doing a subject you despise and not even getting a good grade in it? Also, there's no good or bad subjects at A level, each subject is suited for a different type of person and is not a sign of a person's capability, every subject is hard.

Don't worry about your subjects! Just do you :smile:

I was considering doing a science to well, i guess please others, until i realised i hate it and id flop it, and waste a large amount of my time. I think i feel more reassured!! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
The issue isn't not having any STEM subjects because STEM isn't necessarily > Arts. The issue is that you don't have any traditional subjects like History, Geography, or just straight Literature.

But really if you're not going to university it doesn't matter at all.
Reply 12
Original post by Abstract_Prism
The issue isn't not having any STEM subjects because STEM isn't necessarily > Arts. The issue is that you don't have any traditional subjects like History, Geography, or just straight Literature.

But really if you're not going to university it doesn't matter at all.

I was actually considering geography and might drop ICT for it. And i wanted to do pure literature but the sixth form im going to doesnt do just pure literature , but language too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest