The Student Room Group

Corbyn turns down invitation from Holocaust Museum

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/10/jeremy-corbyn-israel-yad-vashem

Ugh. Why does he have to be so dishonest? The invitation was made almost 6 months ago, and he said his diary was too full. It wasn't too full for him to take a holiday during the middle of the EU referendum campaign. Also, the invitation was made almost half a year ago but he couldn't find some time in the subsequent 8 months of the year and fit it in sometime?

He regularly absents himself from the office to spend time on his allotment or make jam, demonstrating a rather shaky work ethic. Surely instead of spending all that time skiving off, he could set aside a day to travel to Israel to go some way to alleviating concerns about his apparent disdain for and double standard against Israelis, and his repeated association and friendship with holocaust deniers and anti-semites.

Ultimately he just doesn't think anti-semitism is that big of an issue. He has repeatedly made dishonest claims that he has engaged with Israelis just as much as he has with Palestinian terrorists. But when given the opportunity to put that into practice, he declines. Serious questions are being asked about his stance on these matters, but he just doesn't seem to care.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexanderHam
www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/10/jeremy-corbyn-israel-yad-vashem

Ugh. Why does he have to be so dishonest? The invitation was made almost 6 months ago, and he said his diary was too full. It wasn't too full for him to take a holiday during the middle of the EU referendum campaign. Also, the invitation was made almost half a year ago but he couldn't find some time in the subsequent 8 months of the year and fit it in sometime?

He regularly absents himself from the office to spend time on his allotment or make jam, demonstrating a rather shaky work ethic. Surely instead of spending all that time skiving off, he could set aside a day to travel to Israel to go some way to alleviating concerns about his apparent disdain for and double standard against Israelis, and his repeated association and friendship with holocaust deniers and anti-semites.

Ultimately he just doesn't think anti-semitism is that big of an issue. He has repeatedly made dishonest claims that he has engaged with Israelis just as much as he has with Palestinian terrorists. But when given the opportunity to put that into practice, he declines. Serious questions are being asked about his stance on these matters, but he just doesn't seem to care.

The holocaust happened get over it. I'm sick and tired of this atrocity being used in politics to boost Israel's government which definitely doesn't invade foreign land and label everyone who doesn't agree with them a ' Anti- semitic terrorist '.

I'm pretty sure that he did not talk to terrorists, open your eyes mate. Anti semitism does not equal being anti zionist.
Clearly you can't distinguish between a religion and a government.
(edited 7 years ago)
www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/10/jeremy-corbyn-israel-yad-vashemUgh. Why does he have to be so dishonest? The invitation was made almost 6 months ago, and he said his diary was too full. It wasn't too full for him to take a holiday during the middle of the EU referendum campaign. Also, the invitation was made almost half a year ago but he couldn't find some time in the subsequent 8 months of the year and fit it in sometime?He regularly absents himself from the office to spend time on his allotment or make jam, demonstrating a rather shaky work ethic. Surely instead of spending all that time skiving off, he could set aside a day to travel to Israel to go some way to alleviating concerns about his apparent disdain for and double standard against Israelis, and his repeated association and friendship with holocaust deniers and anti-semites.Ultimately he just doesn't think anti-semitism is that big of an issue. He has repeatedly made dishonest claims that he has engaged with Israelis just as much as he has with Palestinian terrorists. But when given the opportunity to put that into practice, he declines. Serious questions are being asked about his stance on these matters, but he just doesn't seem to care.
jajajaja corbyn's an anti-Semitic jajajajathat's all the pro smith campaign can talk about rofl
Original post by mcneill98
The holocaust happened get over it.

Fascinating. A very revealing comment.

Anti semitism does not equal being anti zionist

If you call for all Jews worldwide to be killed, as Hamas did in its 1988 charter, then you are an anti-semite. If you make mealy-mouthed justifications for people who call for all Jews worldwide to be killed, if you defend such disgusting genocidal calls as "anti-zionism", if you befriend such fascist maniacs, then you too are an anti-semite. End of.
Original post by BasharAssad
jajajaja corbyn's an anti-Semitic jajajajathat's all the pro smith campaign can talk about rofl

The words you typed are English but it's completely incomprehensible as a sentence.
Fascinating to see how Corbynista and assorted Hamas sympathisers get so angry at the idea Corbyn should attend the Holocaust Museum.

I'm pretty sure that he did not talk to terrorists, open your eyes mate. Anti semitism does not equal being anti zionist.
Clearly you can't distinguish between a religion and a government.

Pretty sure he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGj1PheWiFQ
Fascinating. A very revealing comment.

If you call for all Jews worldwide to be killed, as Hamas did in its 1988 charter, then you are an anti-semite. If you make mealy-mouthed justifications for people who call for all Jews worldwide to be killed, if you defend such disgusting genocidal calls as "anti-zionism", if you befriend such fascist maniacs, then you too are an anti-semite. End of.

Where did I say that I support Hamas ? Also 1988 was a long time ago mate, Hamas is now interested in peace talks but Israel is refusing.
Zionism means to me that Israel belongs to the Jews, when in fact no it was Palestinian land for hundreds of years and even the original agreed upon borders of Israel have expanded massively due to illegal invasion.
If you think it's jewish land because of they lived there a long long time ago, remember that when they crossed the Sinai they were invading the local territory.

Define terrorist, Hezbollah were created to defend from Israel not attack them.
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm sick and tired of this atrocity being used in politics to boost Israel's government which definitely doesn't invade foreign land and label everyone who doesn't agree with them a ' Anti- semitic terrorist '.

The Israeli government doesn't. Israel haters claim that Israel accuses everyone who criticises them of being anti-semitic. Israel haters are invariably the first ones to bring it up when they make their whiney pro forma claim that they are being accused of this, even when it hasn't even been brought up.

I see Israel haters bring anti-semitism into the conversation (in the form of bogus claims of it being unfairly accused) ten times for every one time I see a defender of Israel make the accusation. It's a completely dishonest debating tactic.

People haven't called Corbyn an anti-semite because he opposes Israel. They call him an anti-semite or fellow traveller because he is friends with people who say all Jews should be killed, because he associates with people who claim the Holocaust never happened, because he defends people who claim "Jews control the world". By falsely claiming the accusation of anti-semitism arises simply out of his opposition to Israel, you go some way to proving the point.
Original post by BasharAssad

If he isn't then he spends far too much time with people who are.
The Israeli government doesn't. Israel haters claim that Israel accuses everyone who criticises them of being anti-semitic. Israel haters are invariably the first ones to bring it up when they make their whiney pro forma claim that they are being accused of this, even when it hasn't even been brought up.

I see Israel haters bring anti-semitism into the conversation (in the form of bogus claims of it being unfairly accused) ten times for every one time I see a defender of Israel make the accusation. It's a completely dishonest debating tactic.

People haven't called Corbyn an anti-semite because he opposes Israel. They call him an anti-semite or fellow traveller because he is friends with people who say all Jews should be killed, because he associates with people who claim the Holocaust never happened, because he defends people who claim "Jews control the world". By falsely claiming the accusation of anti-semitism arises simply out of his opposition to Israel, you go some way to proving the point.

The president has said repeatedly that UN human rights watch, the EU, the US, arabs, etc. are anti-semitic for condemning illegal settlement building.
Labelling products from legal Palestinian land as Palestinian is apparently anti-semitic and comparable to the holocaust according to the current Israeli govnmnt.
This is simply a media smear. Shami Chakrabarti's report clearly said there is not antisemitism in the Labour Party.
Where did I say that I support Hamas ?

Corbyn supports Hamas. He praised their "dedication to peace and social justice", and called them "honoured guests" at an event he and his friends put on to laud and support them.

Also 1988 was a long time ago mate

As recently as a couple of years Hamas refused to revoke the charter or repeal that section of it. The 1988 charter is their current organisational constitution. It speaks volumes about their values, though you don't need to look at their charter to understand what those values are; just switch on Hamas TV and watch their obscene anti-semitic hate propaganda.

Hamas is now interested in peace talks but Israel is refusing

:lol: You are so easily taken in by propaganda. Hamas has repeatedly said it has no interest in a long-term peace, only in a short-term ceasefire. Each time Hamas starts firing rockets into Israel the two goes to war, Israel hammers Hamas, they agree a ceasefire, and then Hamas starts building up its stocks of rockets again. Hamas is doing exactly that right now; re-arming and building new attack tunnels in preparation for the next conflict.

Zionism means to me that Israel belongs to the Jews

Zionism means the Jews are entitled to a state in the Levant, which they are. Not all of Israel belongs to Jewish people, there is plenty of land in the north which belongs to Palestinians who are the same Palestinians who lived there prior to 1948.

when in fact no it was Palestinian land for hundreds of years

There was no state of Palestine. The land belonged to the Ottoman Empire, and it was a territory in which Jews, Christians, Druze and Muslims lived.

and even the original agreed upon borders of Israel have expanded massively due to illegal invasion

It really is unfortunate that Israel haters tend to be so obnoxiously ignorant about the history of that land. In 1948 the UN proposed a partition so that there would be a Jewish majority state and a Muslim majority state. The Palestinian state area included all of Gaza plus the West Bank, plus a huge chunk of the Galilee in northern Israel, plus a significant chunk of the Negev. That 1948
partition proposal was for borders that Palestinians would love to have now.

Instead of accepting it, the Arabs and Palestinians declared war on Israel promising to exterminate it. They started a war and they lost. You can't resort to violence then complain when you lose.

After the 1948 war, Gaza and West Bank were in the hands of Egypt and Jordan respectively. In 1967, Egypt ordered the UN peacekeepers in Sinai who were keeping the two sides apart to leave. It mobilised its army and moved troops up to the Israeli border, made repeated broadcasts saying it was going to destroy Israel, and then blockaded the Strait of Tiran which Israel had repeatedly said it would consider a cassus belli. Egypt did those things, and so Israel attacked before it itself was attacked. Israel begged Jordan not to join the war on Egypt's side, they did so anyway. As a result, Israel attacked and took Gaza and the West Bank, and Golan Heights (also Sinai, which they gave back to Egypt).

So if Egypt, Syria and Jordan hadn't made all these moves to attack Israel, if they hadn't have behaved in a belligerent manner, if Jordan hadn't been so stupid as to join Egypt in the war when Israel begged it not to, then those territories would still be in Muslim hands (though questionable whether the Jordanians and Egyptians would have allowed a Palestinian state). The land was taken in a defensive war, not an expansionist first strike.

You really should learn the history
Original post by JamesN88
If he isn't then he spends far too much time with people who are.

Well said, mate. Hamas called for all Jews worldwide to be killed in its charter. Corbyn praised Hamas' "dedication to peace and social justice". If you praise and support genocidal anti-semites, then reasonable questions may be raised about how seriously you take anti-semitism.

Just as if I regularly praised the Westboro Baptist Church (the ones who say "God Hates ****" and picket the funerals of dead soldiers), if I said "They really are incredibly tolerant, they're great people" and called them my "friends" and "honoured guests", people could reasonably ask about whether I was a homophobe, insofar as I seem to be very fond of people who are and to defend and support them, and praise their values.

There are so many instances of Corbyn befriending and associating with anti-semites and fascist crackpots that it can be fairly deduced that, at the least, he doesn't care if someone is anti-semitic if they share his loathing of America and the West. "Anti-imperialism" comes first.

By the way, Hamas really badly persecutes gay people in Gaza, top Hamas officials say homsexuals should be put to death. These are the people whom Corbyn praised as "dedicated to peace and social justice". But if one raises these issues and points out Corbyn's own words, you get attacked as a Red Tory / Neoliberal / Mossad / Hasbara / Jewish / New Labour (delete as appropriate) shill
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Iridocyclitis
This is simply a media smear. Shami Chakrabarti's report clearly said there is not antisemitism in the Labour Party.

Well that's that. Corbyn offers Shami a peerage, she writes a report absolving him of all responsibility. Seems legit
Well said, mate. Hamas called for all Jews worldwide to be killed in its charter. Corbyn praised Hamas' "dedication to peace and social justice". If you praise and support genocidal anti-semites, then reasonable questions may be raised about how seriously you take anti-semitism.

Just as if I regularly praised the Westboro Baptist Church (the ones who say "God Hates ****" and picket the funerals of dead soldiers), if I said "They really are incredibly tolerant, they're great people" and called them my "friends" and "honoured guests", people could reasonably ask about whether I was a homophobe, insofar as I seem to be very fond of people who are and to defend and support them, and praise their values.

There are so many instances of Corbyn befriending and associating with anti-semites and fascist crackpots that it can be fairly deduced that, at the least, he doesn't care if someone is anti-semitic if they share his loathing of America and the West. "Anti-imperialism" comes first.

By the way, Hamas really badly persecutes gay people in Gaza, top Hamas officials say homsexuals should be put to death. These are the people whom Corbyn praised as "dedicated to peace and social justice". But if one raises these issues and points out Corbyn's own words, you get attacked as a Red Tory / Neoliberal / Mossad / Hasbara / Jewish / New Labour (delete as appropriate) shill

It's akin to George Galloway and his sympathies towards Saddam Hussein.

That would be the same mass torturing, chemical weapons dropping, total nutcase Saddam Hussein who we're all familiar with.

Edit: Before anyone says it I'm not condoning the 2003 debacle.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
You can't tell me he didn't know the consequences of this. Even if he doesn't care about the holocaust this was his chance to reach out to the Jewish community and show his respects to something they hold close to their hearts. I think going there would've put an end to all the anti-Semitism claims and he could've built a relationship with jews. This only further proves his hate towards Jews and I'm sure he won't be cancelling his event to share a stage with Hamas sympathisers, it's probably highlighted in his diary. It's so disgusting to see this. If he disagrees with Israel he should not be politically alienating the British Jews, you'd expect him to be above it and remain neutral but nope.
Reply 17
Original post by Iridocyclitis

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
Original post by zayn008
You can't tell me he didn't know the consequences of this. Even if he doesn't care about the holocaust this was his chance to reach out to the Jewish community and show his respects to something they hold close to their hearts. I think going there would've put an end to all the anti-Semitism claims and he could've built a relationship with jews. This only further proves his hate towards Jews and I'm sure he won't be cancelling his event to share a stage with Hamas sympathisers, it's probably highlighted in his diary. It's so disgusting to see this. If he disagrees with Israel he should not be politically alienating the British Jews, you'd expect him to be above it and remain neutral but nope.

Well said dude. Even if there was nothing to it, surely this would be a chance for him to innoculate himself and demonstrate some goodwill?

In reality he doesn't care; he just does not give a crap. I don't think in his own mind he hates Jews, but he is so indifferent to their wellbeing, so comfortable in befriending their killers, so blase about the hardening perception about him in the Jewish community, that you could say he is a constructive anti-semite. Whether he hates Jewish people in his own mind (or whether he believes he does or not), the reality of his actions says that he is completely indifferent to Jewish people where taking a stand against anti-semitism would offend his terrorist and Israel-hating friends
Original post by zayn008
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

No anti-semitism in the Labour Party... oh,well if Baroness Charkrabarti said it (after receiving a peerage from Jezbollah) then it must be true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending