The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Sadpuppie
I want to study games technology or Computer Science in Coventry Uni.

You could say I have strict parents, both my mom and dad always want me to wear a square hat :frown:
I have let them down twice my mom is very upset i can hear her cry sometimes in her sleep :frown: . I don't want to let them down no matter what. I do whatever it takes to pass. I have messed up.

Hi Please don't do this to yourself!!!!!!! I'm sure your mum would be happy to see you settled into a job you LOVE!!

The only way to get through a degree, in my opinion, is to be totally passionate about your subject.

Could you possibly do a degree leading directly to a professional qualification?? Don't forget sandwich courses and apprenticeships!!!!!

Please for goodness sake start loving yourself It's nice to please mum but try and do it by pleasing yourself!!!! Remember most mums want their kids to be HAPPY!!!!! And under no circumstances be so hard on yourself!!! Good luck.
Lol, this is so sad.
Similar scenario to you mate, did study pharmacy 1st time round back in 2013, dropped out due to family problems, entered comp sci in 2015, dropped out cus i hated the people in the uni and course and the course itself, dropped out worked in KFC for 6 months, been accepted to study pharmacy at Reading uni ( fcking miracle ), now I'm sure i can do well, but student finance isn't funding me the tuition fees for the first year so parents are paying for it.
Original post by Sadpuppie
The reason why I want to go Uni now is because I have sorted my life out.

Lets pretend I have no years for Student finance. Does that mean I have to pay £9 by my self for 3 years? My parents earn around £15k year anyone would know that is low. Yes I know I **** up so why the hell would student finance support me again? that is the sad part :frown:
Is there any other way around this?

You do realise that most people don't get parental help??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tiger Rag
There aren't grants any more

They do not do grants anymore which is ******* stupid. In the olden days, students use to go for uni for free. My other family member who went around 2000 paid only 300 pound per week for uni. And look at it now..... 9K!!!!!! AND RISING!!!!

m8, do not give up on life. I've seen people who have made mistakes in their life and rise. Im not sure what your current situation is however you can ammend that.

One of my friends had to quit uni because someone very close to him ( cannot say) was suffering a lot of mental illnesses and so he dropped out to help after his fathers farming business. However a teacher ( from secondary school) recognized him and persuaded him to go back into uni and get a degree and a job. He now has his degree and makes tons of money compared to the farmer job he had. If that teacher never persuaded him, god know what would have happened.
Reply 85
I'm in a similar situation! Went to uni in London to study History, suffered from severe anxiety and depression and failed the year, moved back home to Birmingham and went to Birmingham City to study Media, suffered from severe anxiety, depression, abusive relationship and failed the year again. Now I'm working full time for a year whilst deciding what to do. Is there any chance student loan would help me fund first year again as I'm desperate to go back to London, to my old university and study there! History is my greatest passion
Original post by remjenn
I'm in a similar situation! Went to uni in London to study History, suffered from severe anxiety and depression and failed the year, moved back home to Birmingham and went to Birmingham City to study Media, suffered from severe anxiety, depression, abusive relationship and failed the year again. Now I'm working full time for a year whilst deciding what to do. Is there any chance student loan would help me fund first year again as I'm desperate to go back to London, to my old university and study there! History is my greatest passion

They might if you can show that your depression and anxiety affected your ability to study.
I think the only way around it is to show Student Finance the death certificate of your grandfather and apply for extenuating circumstances. You could just go back to the university you left as you only have 2 years of student finance left. This will fund years 2 and 3.

I know a girl who changed unis 3 times.
First one, she dropped out. Second one, dropped out. Third one, going into second year now. I think she left before she finished the year around January/February so it didn't count. My Mum said the exact same thing to me, if I want to drop out or change course do it before a certain deadline otherwise you have to continue. My parents cwrtainly can't pay £9,000 a year lol.

Another girl dropped out because she didn't like the subject and still got funding for her next degree (4 years).

You might not have been charged for the second attempt considering you didn't finish the year or did you as you said you dropped out.

Another thing is you sound really depressed from the context you are posting. I wouldn't recommend university for you, but that's your decision to make. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :smile:
Original post by Ishax
I know a girl who changed unis 3 times.
First one, she dropped out. Second one, dropped out. Third one, going into second year now. I think she left before she finished the year around January/February so it didn't count. My Mum said the exact same thing to me, if I want to drop out or change course do it before a certain deadline otherwise you have to continue. My parents cwrtainly can't pay £9,000 a year lol.

It counts as a full year after a few weeks or so.
Original post by Tiger Rag
It counts as a full year after a few weeks or so.

I don't know, it's what she told me. Maybe, she had extenuating circumstances? I'm not planning to go down that route anyway lol.
It's not too late to apply for student finance. We all make mistakes and you trying to get a degree is certainly no bad thing. Don't think that you're letting your parents down - I doubt they have a degree with those wages.Apply for compelling personal reasons and get your GP to write a letter stating the problems you faced at the time when you dropped out. Get some advice from the student finance dept at the uni you want to go to and they'll offer you some advice on applying for this. But basically to get you started, apply for finance online now and post your signed declaration with a letter requesting CPR and your reasons and evidence with it.Goof luck! x
Reply 91
Original post by kerri-2018
It's not too late to apply for student finance. We all make mistakes and you trying to get a degree is certainly no bad thing. Don't think that you're letting your parents down - I doubt they have a degree with those wages.Apply for compelling personal reasons and get your GP to write a letter stating the problems you faced at the time when you dropped out. Get some advice from the student finance dept at the uni you want to go to and they'll offer you some advice on applying for this. But basically to get you started, apply for finance online now and post your signed declaration with a letter requesting CPR and your reasons and evidence with it.Goof luck! x

This was a 2016 thread so is now closed :smile:

Goof luck to you too!

Latest

Trending

Trending