The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Transferring to A100 after first year

Has anyone done this - transfer to Medicine from one of the Medical Sciences or Biological Sciences courses after first year?

If so, what was first year % and beyond doing the UKCAT, what did the process involve?
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
Has anyone done this - transfer to Medicine from one of the Medical Sciences or Biological Sciences courses after first year?

If so, what was first year % and beyond doing the UKCAT, what did the process involve?

It's very difficult to do because medicine has quotas (which are always filled), so there would only be a space if a) someone dropped out in the first year and definitely wasn't coming back, b) no-one was coming back having intermitted for any reason and c) no-one was transferring from a 1st year elsewhere. Then of course the Medicine syllabus is pretty prescribed and so they 1st years would have to be sufficiently the same. Plus all the entry standards would be the same as the original entry point.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by threeportdrift
It's very difficult to do because medicine has quotas (which are always filled), so there would only be a space if a) someone dropped out in the first year and definitely wasn't coming back, b) no-one was coming back having intermitted for any reason and c) no-one was transferring from a 1st year elsewhere. Then of course the Medicine syllabus is pretty prescribed and so they 1st years would have to be sufficiently the same. Plus all the entry standards would be the same as the original entry point.

Hi there, thanks for your reply. Each of the Bio/Medical Science pages say that it's possible to transfer to medicine after first year and admissions say a small number do. Certainly I've seen it referred to in some of the student pdfs but can't figure out what standard needs to be achieved.

You say the entry standards would be the same. Are you saying that they'd have to meet the A-level requirements also?
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
Hi there, thanks for your reply. Each of the Bio/Medical Science pages say that it's possible to transfer to medicine after first year and admissions say a small number do. Certainly I've seen it referred to in some of the student pdfs but can't figure out what standard needs to be achieved.

You say the entry standards would be the same. Are you saying that they'd have to meet the A-level requirements also?

I can only rely on what I dealt with when working on another Med School admissions and yes, for a 1st to 2nd year transfer, had a space been available which was quite unusual, then we required the standard entry requirements, performance in the 1st year didn't mitigate weaker A levels. It might not be the same everywhere, but the numbers are so small (low single figures each year) that is is a very individual, in the moment process.

The main issue is that the quota will be full. The only spaces will be created by people either dropping out completely, or failing their 1st year, plus whatever resit schedule, plus the appeal process etc - so that space tends to appear in early Sep at best. Then there are the people applying to transfer from other Unis who have to be given priority for any spaces, then there are the returners who couldn't go straight from Yr 1 to Yr2.
Reply 4
Hey, I'm starting biological sciences at UoL this year and I was wondering the same so I emailed the uni who provided this very helpful list of criteria and statistics of number of transfers from last year:

Have high grades in appropriate A level subjects, including chemistry (re-take grades will not be considered). Have achieved good first class marks in first year modules of their biological sciences course. Have taken the UKCAT medical admissions test in 2017 (UKCAT http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/ - registration opens on 1 May 2017 and testing will commence on 1 July 2017). Please bear in mind that you would need to sit the UKCAT early in 2017, as your results will be needed for the submission of your internal application. You must sit this test and have your results before the internal application closing (provisionally 21st July 2017).

Demonstrate an on-going commitment to Medicine by gaining experience of caring and interaction with the public through work experience or volunteering. Demonstrate motivation and suitability for Medicine through their personal statement and references.

If these criteria are met students will be able to apply for consideration for transfer to the 1st Year of the Medical Programme. The Medical School will consider all applications and then interview prospective candidates. However, there is no guarantee of a transfer. This is a relatively new initiative and there is no set number of places available for transfer. This year there were 22 applicants, of which 3 were successful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending