The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to get an A* at A level maths?

My results were:
C1 :93
C2:87
S1:97

What would I need to get at A2 to get an A* overall? And I'm also considering retaking C2, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Scroll to see replies

people like you I hate ... why would you have the title is it possible for me to get an a*.....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by megan-garner6
My results were:

What would I need to get at A2 to get an A* overall? And I'm also considering retaking C2, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Which exam board are you with? CIE?

What have you been told/looked up that the requirement for A* is?
My results were:

You need a minimum of 480 UMS altogether with at least 180 UMS in C3 and C4.

There is no point in retaking C2 as marks in C3 and C4 are more important.
If it is edexcel, then you need a total of 480 UMS at the end with at least 180 UMS combined from C3 and C4.
Reply 5
Of course it is possible with the UMS you are on....
Original post by zainyyyyy
people like you I hate ... why would you have the title is it possible for me to get an a*.....

Ah I didn't mean it to come across that way! I had just been to an open day and fell in love with the uni but you need to get an A* as entry requirements, and I wasn't sure if I was aiming too high:/
Original post by Muttley79
You need a minimum of 480 UMS altogether with at least 180 UMS in C3 and C4.

There is no point in retaking C2 as marks in C3 and C4 are more important.

Okay, thank you very much!
you can get an a* if you get 210 ums.... you got well over 270ums and youre still asking....
Ah I didn't mean it to come across that way! I had just been to an open day and fell in love with the uni but you need to get an A* as entry requirements, and I wasn't sure if I was aiming too high:/
Just make sure you work really really hard for C3 and C4, they are insanely harder than C1 and C2, and they're pretty much all that count for the A*. If you got 90% in both C3 and C4 then you could get 50% in both C1 and C2 and still get an A* lol
My results were:

What exam board are you doing? I got 100 UMS in both C3 and C4 (Edexcel)
don't retake c2 it's a waste of time. You need 480ums= overall out of 600. With an average of 90ums in c3&c4. So spend much more time on c3/c4 compared to the third module.:biggrin:
Original post by zainyyyyy
you can get an a* if you get 210 ums.... you got well over 270ums and youre still asking....

Well that's exactly what I was asking! I don't really understand UMS and so far I've been told that you need to get well over 90UMS in every module to get an A* and that it's really tough (told by my maths teachers). Sorry if it came across cocky I didn't mean it that way at all!
you knew exactly what you was doing also google is your friend
Well that's exactly what I was asking! I don't really understand UMS and so far I've been told that you need to get well over 90UMS in every module to get an A* and that it's really tough (told by my maths teachers). Sorry if it came across cocky I didn't mean it that way at all!
Original post by lawlieto
What exam board are you doing? I got 100 UMS in both C3 and C4 (Edexcel)

I'm edexcel! How did you find C3 and C4 compared to C1 and C2? In the few lessons we've had, I've struggled a bit but I'm not sure if it's just because I haven't had much practice or whether it's a lot tougher?
I'm edexcel! How did you find C3 and C4 compared to C1 and C2? In the few lessons we've had, I've struggled a bit but I'm not sure if it's just because I haven't had much practice or whether it's a lot tougher?

I think C3 is easier than C2 but C4 is the definitely the most advanced of all. To be honest I've never practiced C3/C4 because I did further maths, including FP1, FP2 and FP3, and after having suffered a lot with the FP modules somehow the Core modules felt like a walk in the park... your best option is to practice at a reasonable rate and do hard questions. Ask if you need any help and don't just check everything immediately in the mark scheme.
I think C3 is easier than C2 but C4 is the definitely the most advanced of all. To be honest I've never practiced C3/C4 because I did further maths, including FP1, FP2 and FP3, and after having suffered a lot with the FP modules somehow the Core modules felt like a walk in the park... your best option is to practice at a reasonable rate and do hard questions. Ask if you need any help and don't just check everything immediately in the mark scheme.

Okay, thank you very much! I'm doing AS further maths this year so hopefully it'll make them seem easier! What other modules did you do? I'm starting D1 tomorrow and I'm not really sure what to expect...
Okay, thank you very much! I'm doing AS further maths this year so hopefully it'll make them seem easier! What other modules did you do? I'm starting D1 tomorrow and I'm not really sure what to expect...

D1 was my absolute nightmare XD you may like it though but i found it very boring. It's very easy to get an A in D1 if you're organised and precise. If not, God save you.
I did S1S2, M1M2 and D1 as my applied modules
For D1 it's very easy to get an A but also very easy to get a D hahaha. FP1 is a tonne easier than C3/4 so I don't think that's going to help you. Btw C3 being 'easier' than C2 is a load of bull, C3 is defo the hardest, harder than C4 imo (or at least way more boring).
D1 was my absolute nightmare XD you may like it though but i found it very boring. It's very easy to get an A in D1 if you're organised and precise. If not, God save you.
I did S1S2, M1M2 and D1 as my applied modules

I had my first D1 lesson today and that was the first thing my teacher said to me! Hopefully if I get enough practice I will get more accurate! How was S2? I really enjoyed S1 so I'm hoping that it's quite similar!

Quick Reply

Latest