The Student Room Group

Is business a soft subject?

I switched from drama to business but now it looks like a "soft" subject! I think I may take English, Biology, History and maybe Business Studies?
I guess it's fine because your other three are facilitating subjects (assuming that by English you mean English Lit). But if you don't want a soft subject there, you could always swap Business Studies for Economics, which although isn't facilitating either, is slightly more respected.
Reply 2
Original post by surina16
I guess it's fine because your other three are facilitating subjects (assuming that by English you mean English Lit). But if you don't want a soft subject there, you could always swap Business Studies for Economics, which although isn't facilitating either, is slightly more respected.

I'm currently doing Business GCSE. Will they introduce economics later in the year?
Original post by surina16

m8

no bias here or anything since I take it, but Economics is very highly viewed!

To OP, I'll give you a really useful link.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/a-level-combinations

If you scroll down a bit, you'll see 3 lists of A-levels by their suitability. (And this is done by Trinity College, Cambridge)

Your first 3 is in the top, Business studies being in second. I agree with surina16, though, if your school does it do economics. If you want any more information on what you do on the course I'll be happy to tell you about it. It's a tiny bit more maths based, but trust me, it's really easy. I mean like foundation GCSE math easy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by clarrisssa
I'm currently doing Business GCSE. Will they introduce economics later in the year?

I did AQA GCSE Business Studies and they did not teach us economics.
I would say business is a 'soft' subject, but that doesn't mean it is an easy subject.
However with your other a-levels you should be fine
Reply 5
Original post by draculaura
m8

no bias here or anything since I take it, but Economics is very highly viewed!

To OP, I'll give you a really useful link.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/a-level-combinations

If you scroll down a bit, you'll see 3 lists of A-levels by their suitability. (And this is done by Trinity College, Cambridge)

Your first 3 is in the top, Business studies being in second. I agree with surina16, though, if your school does it do economics. If you want any more information on what you do on the course I'll be happy to tell you about it. It's a tiny bit more maths based, but trust me, it's really easy. I mean like foundation GCSE math easy.

I'm really bad at maths, mainly the reason I chose business
I switched from drama to business but now it looks like a "soft" subject! I think I may take English, Biology, History and maybe Business Studies?

Your other three subjects are considered strong subjects, so perhaps take business studies as a fourth option and drop after AS? As for whether it's a soft subject, I do believe it is a little. Business seems far easier to grasp than economics.

If you do at least two of the first three at A2, then its unlikely to matter. Grades are more important.
Reply 8
Original post by aliman65
Your other three subjects are considered strong subjects, so perhaps take business studies as a fourth option and drop after AS? As for whether it's a soft subject, I do believe it is a little. Business seems far easier to grasp than economics.

Business is definitely easier. But to be honest I haven't even started the course yet. I changed because I thought drama is going to be a waste of effort especially if im not going to a drama uni.

Honestly, you don't need to be good at math, I say just OK and at a standard level. Like I said, it's foundation math GCSE stuff, and you can use a calculator. Some examples are addition, subtraction, multiplication, division (remember with a calculator), changing percentages into decimals etc etc. The 'hardest' it gets I think is finding a certain percentage of a number. like, 5% of 150000. It's easy stuff, honestly. That's for edexcel, anyway
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Honestly, you don't need to be good at math, I say just OK and at a standard level. Like I said, it's foundation math GCSE stuff, and you can use a calculator. Some examples are addition, subtraction, multiplication, division (remember with a calculator), changing percentages into decimals etc etc. The 'hardest' it gets I think is finding a certain percentage of a number. like, 5% of 150000. It's easy stuff, honestly. That's for edexcel, anyway

But I'm worried if I don't like it then I would change again and loose time. Haha I'll definitely consider it.
But I'm worried if I don't like it then I would change again and loose time. Haha I'll definitely consider it.

Aha, that's very true! Remember, you can change even in a month or two into it. I recommend [if your school does it] going to whoever teaches the subject, and asking for a specification. I imagine you've just started year 11? You'll get more advice and guidance this year. There's definitely no need to rush it.
Reply 12
Aha, that's very true! Remember, you can change even in a month or two into it. I recommend [if your school does it] going to whoever teaches the subject, and asking for a specification. I imagine you've just started year 11? You'll get more advice and guidance this year. There's definitely no need to rush it.

Thanks for your help. The business teacher is head of business and economics so I might ask her which one she thinks I should take.
Guys im in year 12, and started sixth form. I am doing Maths, chemistry and business studies, And i want to do civil engineering. Will doing business studies a level, stop me from going to russell group universities because it is a soft subject.

Quick Reply

Latest