The Student Room Group

Compelling personal reasons

I've received two years of funding previous for a BA w/found. year.
I had to leave after the second year due to my partner was too ill to care for the children (a responsibility I had to take on full time), my father fell ill with cancer and renal failure which meant my mother needed extra help, and through all of this I developed untreated depression.
Due to my not suspending studies and trying to complete the course regardless, coupled with my lack of willingness to - at the time - discuss it with the university, I ended up being asked to leave due to poor attendance.

Is that legit for a compelling personal reasons claim?
Reply 1
Original post by Liambrady91
I had to leave after the second year due to my partner was too ill to care for the children (a responsibility I had to take on full time), my father fell ill with cancer and renal failure which meant my mother needed extra help, and through all of this I developed untreated depression.
Due to my not suspending studies and trying to complete the course regardless, coupled with my lack of willingness to - at the time - discuss it with the university, I ended up being asked to leave due to poor attendance.

Difficult. Certainly those are very good grounds for claiming CPR. Howevr your problem will be in producing the required independent third party proof for each of those factors.

Whilst you could probably find medical proof of your wife and father's illnesses, you would probably need some kind of proof that you had no other way of caring for your kids or supporting your mother than by letting your studies drop.

Your depression was untreated, so you would have no GP/counsellor to ask for a letter of confirmation.

As far as your last uni was concerned, because you didn't talk to them, you just didn't bother turning up and your record will show that you were thrown out for non-attendance. They won't be able to help either.

I'm not honestly sure how you could progress a CPR claim. You need proof of each of your previous study issues in order to have them considered and I don't know how you'd get that. I was in a similar position, having dropped out of my first uni after two years with what I believe was a breakdown. Despite repeatedly seeing my GP in the run-up to the final crisis, my notes just read "Claimed depression - gave advice" (advice was to pull myself together) several times, meaning that my current GP had no info from which he could write the CPR letter. I had to self-fund the first year of my new degree.

Wish I could be more helpful. Maybe somebody else can do better.
Original post by Liambrady91

CPR claims are treated on a case by case basis.
You have nothing to lose by trying and preparing the best case possible, which includes evidence to support your claim.

The weaknesses of your claim is that you kept it to yourself.

You should ideally make any claim in conjunction with your ex uni, which means contacting them. Your tutor would do or someone who cna speak for the uni.

They can provide evidence as to why they withdrew you, its important to get them to assist, but they cant of they dont understand what was happening other than you not showing up. The advisers at the SU cna probably help you.

You also need to shore up your claim by getting independent evidence to verify the claim. If you are going down the depression route, then you need a letter from someone who has diagnosed it i.e GP or therapist.

If you prepare your claim properly, then you will stand a much better chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending