The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ysp
Hi Peterhouse Admissions!I'm looking to apply for Nat Sci for 2017 entry.My main question is for A2, would it be better do Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Physics with predicted grades A*A*AA, or Chemistry, Physics and Maths with predicted grades A*A*A*?? There is much confusion to the answer to this and a straight answer is hard to find!I got 5 As at AS level with around 90 UMS average. Am I likely to get an offer? My PS doesn't have that much work experience or research on it, I've only read one novel for further research but I have a New Scientist subscription which I regularly read. Achieved 10 A*s and 2 As at GCSE and looking to apply for Chemistry at University's elsewhere.Am I in with a chance for Cambridge's Nat Sci course? And do you know if your answers to these questions will be similar across all Cambridge Colleges?Thank you!

The answer depends on which first year courses you want to do in Natural Sciences. There isn't enough information to say what your chances are but nothing you've said would rule you out and you could well be successful. Remember that A*A*A>>A*AAA. I'd imagine that the answers would be similar for all colleges but I can't promise as I only work for Peterhouse.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tman786
Hi,

I am hopefully going to be applying to Cambridge to study Economics. How important is having Further Maths? I have read and been told by teachers that it is a pretty big disadvantage and that I wouldn't even make it to the interview stage and I just wanted to know whether it was worth applying. I feel like, if further maths is not taken into account, then I may have a pretty good chance of putting in a competitive application. However, I have picked up AS Further Maths and will be doing it this year (year 13). Would this be adequate and put me in the same group as those that did AS Further Maths in year 12?

Thanks

Hi, let's see if we can help:

For Economics, Further Maths isn't required but it is strongly encoraged. Candidates without FM to A level are at a disadvantage I'm afraid. That said, AS FM is much better than no FM and you could possibly look at taking some extra modules too, even if they don't add up to a full A level - the more maths the better.
Hello,

I would love to study Law at Cambridge! I completed year 12, achieving a high A in AS Philosophy & Ethics. My results (in end of year exams) for the new reformed A Levels were As in both English Literature and History. I understand the entry requirement is A*AA, however my teachers have predicted me AAA for A2 (non-negotiable). My GCSE results were not amazing and I don't know if it is worth applying anymore. Any advice?

Thank you,
A Bramble.
Hi! I've just started Year 12 and was considering doing Maths at university but I would like to keep the option of doing philosophy open. I was intending to do Maths, FM, Physics and French A-levels. I know that maths is deemed useful for philosophy. I would like to avoid having to do English Literature if possible. But how important is to be doing an essay-based subject like English Literature if I want to study philosophy at Cambridge? Will I be at a disadvantage if I stick with my current A-levels?
Hello again,

Thank you for your previous reply. For medicine, in one of your previous threads, you mentioned that "Some colleges feel the BMAT is a really good guide... Consequently there are other colleges (including Peterhouse) that view BMAT scores as a part of the jigsaw and only that". Would it be possible to find out which colleges feel that BMAT is a "good guide"?

Also, regarding resits, it was mentioned in a student room page for oxbridge that an AS resit score taken in year 13 is not taken into account for Cambridge and instead it is the original result achieved in year 12 that is used. Is this true?

For medicine interviews the colleges seem to approach candidates with different subjects e.g. some use biology, while other use chemistry. Is it possible to find out which colleges use which subjects?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi,

Your subject combination might seem a little unorthodox but is less so than you probably think. We could start a long debate about what is and isn't related to English but rest assured that there's nothing stopping you making a successful application.

thank you for helping!
So, just to clarify... someone applying with English, history, french or something would have no advantage over someone applying with English, maths and chemistry?
Hi TSR!

As promised, the Peterhouse Admissions Team are back for another two weeks so ask any and all questions you might have about us, our courses or the application process!

This thread will close following our Open Day on the 17th September. Maybe we'll see you there?

Does the college accept applications for part-time programmes and what is the likelihood of receiving an offer from the college once the department has made me an offer?

Is Peterhouse extremely competitive at postgraduate level meaning that only those with a first-class degree and distinctions would receive an offer?
If I did maths a2 in one year with physics and chemistry at as, then doing further maths a2 and physics a2 in the next year, will there be a 3 a level offer including the maths a2 or only 2 a level offer for physics and further maths
For a choral scholarship, do we need to be at a certain grade to be able to apply? I've been in my school choir (which is selective) for a long time. Am I still eligible to apply?
Is it a rarity for applicants to get offers with a B in one subject at AS, or is it not actually that uncommon? (Law)
Since Cambridge won't be asking for raw marks, does that mean that more emphasis will be placed on interview performance and admissions tests?
@Peterhouse Admissions I've asked this question before in the Christ's thread, but do you have any experience with Danish applicants who did not take IB, but instead took the danish studentereksamen or any of its variants? If so, do you have any data regarding grade requirements in any given offers? I know that the typical offer as written on the Cambridge site is an overall average of 11, with 12 in relevant subjects, but I would love to hear of some actual offers if possible. :smile:
I am applying for 2018 entrance but I would still like to question here.

I would like to apply for natural sciences (physical) but I am mainly interested in physics. I would be interested in doing courses in chemistry and computer science for the first year. Would I want to do be doing things to prove my interest in those or is it fine to just do so for physics? Also, are there any recommendations for what I can do to prove my interest in the field?

My GCSE grades are 1A^, 4A*s, 3As (one SC) and 5 Bs. I am going to study maths, further maths, physics and chemistry for AS (I achieved the top grades for those, A*/A^). If I manage to achieve somewhere between AAAA to AABB in my ASs would that make up for my GCSE grades if I have a strong personal statement and reference? Also, would it be recommended that I drop a subject for A2 as I would have more study periods and also more time to work on the other three subjects? I've heard from someone that this makes applications less likely to be successful but I'm not sure that it's true. I will most likely do an EPQ in year 13, can the grade achieved in that count towards the A*A*A offer if I don't get the grade for one of my A2 subjects?
Reply 193
The answer depends on which first year courses you want to do in Natural Sciences. There isn't enough information to say what your chances are but nothing you've said would rule you out and you could well be successful. Remember that A*A*A>>A*AAA. I'd imagine that the answers would be similar for all colleges but I can't promise as I only work for Peterhouse.

Thank you, so do you take into account which courses I'm looking to do within the Nat Sci course and how do you find this out, should I put it in the SAQ?
I'm actually looking to do the biology of cells course, chemistry and possibly earth sciences, despite lacking A-Level Biology. Would this be a disadvantage?
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
What subject are you thinking of applying for?

In your case it would be a 2 a-level offer as they use the Maths A2 mark when deciding whether to make you an offer. If you want to do Maths then it's fine to do the Physics and Further Maths as you do STEP as well, but if it's NatSci I would seriously advise taking Chemistry onto A2 as well (I initially dropped Biology after AS and was going to carry on just Physics and Further Maths but then they told me I wouldn't really be considered for NatSci as I would only be doing 2 A-Levels in Year 13 so I had to continue with Bio)

EDIT: Sorry I forgot about Engineering too. Not sure about Engineering but I'd imagine they might want to see Chemistry as well but someone can correct me if I am wrong.

I want to do engineering but not chemical engineering
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
What subject are you thinking of applying for?

In your case it would be a 2 a-level offer as they use the Maths A2 mark when deciding whether to make you an offer. If you want to do Maths then it's fine to do the Physics and Further Maths as you do STEP as well, but if it's NatSci I would seriously advise taking Chemistry onto A2 as well (I initially dropped Biology after AS and was going to carry on just Physics and Further Maths but then they told me I wouldn't really be considered for NatSci as I would only be doing 2 A-Levels in Year 13 so I had to continue with Bio)

EDIT: Sorry I forgot about Engineering too. Not sure about Engineering but I'd imagine they might want to see Chemistry as well but someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Not sure about the chemistry. Peterhouse will clarify but A*A*A > A* AAA - this is deemed preferable. The only thing I would say though is the individual modules you do this year are important. Think about the Cambridge assessment and interview. Next December. You may be at a disadvantage if you have not covered at least FP1 and a mechanics module in terms of attempting problems. Have a look at "I want to study engineering. Org" as an indicator. You can always self study them. Good luck 😀
I am in year 13 now. Im interested in studying General Engineering.
I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Biology. I took the AS and A2 exams for Maths and Further Maths in one year, year 12. I did good in some modules and bad in others. However, my school did not cash in the results so I never received actual qualifications for the A-levels.(C1 - 80 ,C2 - 97, C3 - 95, C4 - 84, FP1 - 96, FP2 - 72, M1 - 87, M2 - 61, S1 - 79, S2 - 79, M3 - 43, D1 -45) I will be resting all the modules below 90 UMS marks and will take M4 and M5 along with FP3 to gain an Additional Further Maths AS qualification as I know the mechanics modules are very important for engineering. As well as that I am doing an EPQ. I am definitely working to get a high grade for the Cambridge University pre-interview assessment as I will need it if I want any chance of getting an interview due to the low modules. Right now my question is whether to drop Biology and take a different A-level to broaden my application (if so,what would be the best subject to take?) or to keep biology? Or would re-siting the year be the better option? What would be the best next step?
Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I'm thinking of applying for Economics.

I did the full Maths A level in one year and got an A for it, but I'm planning to retake the C3 & C4 to try for an A*. I also did Economics AS and Psychology AS, both of which I got As for. However, in Year 13 I'm doing Further Maths in one year. I'm wondering if it were possible if I dropped Psychology, therefore leaving me with 3 A Levels (Maths, FM, Economics) and 1 AS (Psychology).

I feel that I really want to focus on those 3 subjects and get very high in them (A*AAa or better), rather than possibly getting AAAA.
(edited 7 years ago)

Spoiler

Thank you very much for your help. I will make sure that I am comfortable with my options before I go out of my way preparing for other things such as STEP. I only have one further query; as I retook the GCSE maths and achieved an A twice, would this look bad on my part or be somewhat of a hindrance to my application? Thanks again.

Spoiler

Thank you for your reply. You have made some truly good points and I have been considering them. I will soon be arranging work experience to see if medicine is truly for me. I will also aim to get some volunteering or something else relevant to bolster my application, irrespective of what I choose. Thank you again.
Reply 199
Hi Peterhouse Admissions!
I have just received my AS results and I'm hoping to apply for Maths, which I'm aware has applicants with relatively high UMS. My scores are as follows:
C1: 98
C2:100
S1: 98
M1:96
FP1: 97
D1: 100
S2: 90
M2: 83
I am happy with the top 6 but my school let us opt in to sit 2 extra modules (S2 and M2). Unfortunately, my M2 score is a lot lower than I expected considering I was strong at M2 (I hope to get it remarked for the sake of my FM grade). Will this rogue module be a detriment to my application?
My average is still above 95 and I am predicted 4A* in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Would I have a chance of being selected for interview and being a competitive applicant?

Thanks in advance!

Latest

Trending

Trending