The Student Room Group

What do you do if you're sick in public?

I have a terrible vomiting phobia and last night I had an awful thought: what if I got sick far away from home with no way to get home without using public transport? What if no one was willing to help me? I'd be far too embarrassed to use public transport if I was really ill, since it wouldn't be nice at all for the other people there, and I obviously wouldn't be able to walk all the way home.

Would it be acceptable to go to hospital in this case? Just somewhere where I can go to deal with the illness before I'm well enough to travel home? I'm attempted to tackle my phobia by thinking about what I would actually DO if these terrible scenarios occurred rather than just worrying about them happening in the first place.

Would also help if people could reassure me that I'm being ridiculous, I need to be told how unlikely this is. Especially since I'm not pregnant and I don't drink.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I have a terrible vomiting phobia and last night I had an awful thought: what if I got sick far away from home with no way to get home without using public transport? What if no one was willing to help me? I'd be far too embarrassed to use public transport if I was really ill, since it wouldn't be nice at all for the other people there, and I obviously wouldn't be able to walk all the way home.

Would it be acceptable to go to hospital in this case? Just somewhere where I can go to deal with the illness before I'm well enough to travel home? I'm attempted to tackle my phobia by thinking about what I would actually DO if these terrible scenarios occurred rather than just worrying about them happening in the first place.

Would also help if people could reassure me that I'm being ridiculous, I need to be told how unlikely this is. Especially since I'm not pregnant and I don't drink.

Please don't go to hospital when you don't need to!
i was sick in a railway station shop last year. fortunately i was able to use my hat to catch the puke.
Reply 3
Original post by A-LJLB
Please don't go to hospital when you don't need to!

What else would I do though? Just sit around in the town centre just puking in front of everyone and embarrassing myself?
What else would I do though? Just sit around in the town centre just puking in front of everyone and embarrassing myself?

Please do not waste the hospitals time. Waiting times are bad enough.

You'd have to go home - maybe by taxi?
Ah this reminds me of my last German lesson in high school. I was so ill that I fell asleep while the class was engaged in a listening exercise. When class finished I left ,and puked on a tree next to the bus stop, then on the bus i didn't talk to anyone and I fell asleep again.

Don't worry OP these things happen, if you are worried make sure you always wash your hands ,and don't eat dodgy takeaways.
Reply 6
Original post by A-LJLB
Please do not waste the hospitals time. Waiting times are bad enough.

You'd have to go home - maybe by taxi?

Why would I use a taxi when they fine you for making a mess on the backseat? Again, I'd be too embarrassed.
Why would I use a taxi when they fine you for making a mess on the backseat? Again, I'd be too embarrassed.

You're going to have to get over this fear unfortunately.

If you go to hospital, you'll either be turned away or you'll end up wasting their time.
You should be fine. If you were sick the first time I'd doubt you'd be sick again, at least not out in public. Just as A-LJLB said a taxi should be fine, failing that just sit on a bench and breathe the fresh air until the feeling's passed, preferably near a public toilet, buy a bottle of water or something. Or ring someone to pick you up.

You're overthinking about it, which is completely understandable. But I'm guessing it hasn't happened to you before since you're wondering about it now, and if it hasn't then it's quite unlikely to. Just as yourself and others have said, don't go to hospital as they're dealing with far worse problems, so don't drink alcohol, or go to dodgy takeaways and you should be completely fine :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by FightToWin
You should be fine. If you were sick the first time I'd doubt you'd be sick again, at least not out in public. Just as A-LJLB said a taxi should be fine, failing that just sit on a bench and breathe the fresh air until the feeling's passed, preferably near a public toilet, buy a bottle of water or something. Or ring someone to pick you up.

You're overthinking about it, which is completely understandable. But I'm guessing it hasn't happened to you before since you're wondering about it now, and if it hasn't then it's quite unlikely to. Just as yourself and others have said, don't go to hospital as they're dealing with far worse problems, so don't drink alcohol, or go to dodgy takeaways and you should be completely fine :smile:

Thanks :smile: I never worried about this before even with the phobia but the past few months have been a nightmare since I now have panic disorder which has brought everything to the surface. Therapy has only really served to help the physical symptoms of my anxiety but the thoughts are still as strong as ever. I don't want to go as far as to carry around plastic bags or anti-emetics (don't even know if you can get those without a prescription anyway) because I can't imagine that will help in the long-term.
Is this Emetephobia?
I've vomitted on the side road in public before. This taxi driver was kind to me and stopped and offered me tissues, even asked if I wanted him to take me to the hospital (no charge)
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Is this Emetephobia?

Yeh I've had it most of my life :/
Yeh I've had it most of my life :/

I'm sorry OP :frown:. But, definitely try counselling as other people have said.
Reply 14
Find a toilet?
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
I'm sorry OP :frown:. But, definitely try counselling as other people have said.

I've already had therapy and it hasn't really worked for that :/
I've already had therapy and it hasn't really worked for that :/

Perhaps, CBT; I know this is a bit different, but CBT helped me a bit with my anxiety. Or, you could try Exposure Therapy, which I know sounds daunting, but it may help. :smile:
I went to the cinema and I'd obviously eaten my pizza too quickly and I was sick while standing in the queue to get popcorn. Lucky most of it went in my hand and the rest on my clothes. I went outside after that and sat on a bench. Threw up 3 times and then left.

Most people don't care if you're sick in public, its a natural thing that happens to everyone. I was once on a train and a woman in front of me was very drunk, fast asleep, with her boyfriend. She woke up and was sick all over herself and the seat. Her boyfriend tried to clear it up as best he could with a plastic bag, it stank but she obviously couldn't help it so I just went and stood somewhere else.

If you can find a toilet, then that's really your best option. Otherwise a bin, in a bush, in a plastic bag. If you really are that worried maybe carry a plastic bag/sick bag with you? and I would use public transport rather than anything else, people are sick on trains/buses all the time.
Original post by A-LJLB
You're going to have to get over this fear unfortunately.

If you go to hospital, you'll either be turned away or you'll end up wasting their time.

"Get over"? What the....?

They've obviously got some kind of mental health problem that they should seek help for. Just telling them to stay away from hospitals and get over it is absolute stupidity and ignorance.

Yes, hospitals are struggling - but don't use a bigger issue to try to belittle someone's issue and make this about something it isn't.

Go and start a thread about the state of the NHS if that's what you want to moan about, don't be blunt and unhelpful to someone suffering from a disorder who is asking for help.

OP, see your GP about your phobia - there is CBT available on the NHS or there are mental health charities who offer free counselling.
(edited 7 years ago)
It depends on why your sick, of its due to alcohol they go and sober up I would say but if it's due to something serious I would find somewhere that's safe and warm such as a mc Donald's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest