The Student Room Group

Maths Resit 2016

I recieved a C in GCSE Maths and I am now doing my A-Levels but I have requested a re-take because I need a B to do my course at uni. However, I heard that the exam boards are making GCSE Maths harder this year and I don't know if that means learning new content. I've looked online and I can't find the specific types of questions that are going to come up in the exam (e.g Trigonometry). Could anyone tell me if there is any new content as I would like to start revising now. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Lagaster748
I recieved a C in GCSE Maths and I am now doing my A-Levels but I have requested a re-take because I need a B to do my course at uni. However, I heard that the exam boards are making GCSE Maths harder this year and I don't know if that means learning new content. I've looked online and I can't find the specific types of questions that are going to come up in the exam (e.g Trigonometry). Could anyone tell me if there is any new content as I would like to start revising now. Thank you :smile:

You can resit the same exam you did this year - this is as well as the new GCSE - look at the 2017 exam timetables.
every exam board offers a legacy paper (the same paper type you did for the first time), its only fair
I wish to re-take GCSE Maths too so is it true you won't have to learn the new one?
Original post by Shazen
I wish to re-take GCSE Maths too so is it true you won't have to learn the new one?

Yes. There are two more resit opportunities for the old spec; November this year and June next year. After that, it'll be the new spec only, iirc.
Original post by _gcx
Yes. There are two more resit opportunities for the old spec; November this year and June next year. After that, it'll be the new spec only, iirc.

Ohh thank you, I'm planning on doing it in June to get an A*
Original post by _gcx

Would you be able to expand on this? I'm looking to resit GCSE Mathematics (with AQA if possible) to achieve a B grade or above, however I'm unsure as to when the final deadline is for the "legacy" exams. I've been searching around but the information seems to be quite conflicting. Thanks :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by AngryWalrus
Would you be able to expand on this? I'm looking to resit GCSE Mathematics (with AQA if possible) to achieve a B grade, however I'm unsure as to when the final deadline is for the "legacy" exams. I've been searching around but the information seems to be quite conflicting. Thanks :smile:

Summer 2017 is the final opportunity for old spec (legacy) re-sits.
Original post by Clemm101
Summer 2017 is the final opportunity for old spec (legacy) re-sits.

Is that across all exam boards?
Original post by AngryWalrus
Is that across all exam boards?

Yes all examiners are setting the papers, though not all exam centres will choose to offer the old specification exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
Yes all examiners are setting the papers, though not all exam centres will choose to offer the old specification exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, that's good to know.
I've finally found something to support that.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/timings-for-the-withdrawal-of-legacy-gcses-as-and-a-levels#legacy-gcses

I'm talking to an exam center at the moment (a private school near me), so fingers crossed they should let me.
Are resits generally harder or easier than the original paper?
Reply 12
Original post by samesea
Are resits generally harder or easier than the original paper?

I hope not, I think there the same level of difficulty but as it's the second to last old GCSE some people are saying it will be hard, I just need a C in maths that's all I hope for this month.

Quick Reply

Latest