The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Commuting to royal holloway??

Hey,

Is anyone else here a first year commuting to Royal Holloway this year?!

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Not undergrad but I will be commuting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
I will be! Where are you guys commuting from and do you plan on using any public transport?
Original post by ThinkBig
I will be! Where are you guys commuting from and do you plan on using any public transport?

will be commuting from Crawley and taking the train
Reply 4
Original post by donutaud15
will be commuting from Crawley and taking the train

How long will your journey take?

I'll be travelling from West London and taking two buses to get to campus.
how does the campus bus work from egham station?
Original post by Bubbles26
how does the campus bus work from egham station?

If you're coming from London, exit the station and turn LEFT. There will be a bus stop and almost always, the campus bus is already there, waiting for you! Last year it cost £1 one-way from Egham station towards main campus :yes:

How long will your journey take?

I'll be travelling from West London and taking two buses to get to campus.

Is Richmond far from you? You can go to Richmond Station and get the Reading-bound fast train to Egham? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Is Richmond far from you? You can go to Richmond Station and get the Reading-bound fast train to Egham? :smile:

Hi, thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, Richmond is too far from me, and in the wrong direction!
If you're coming from London, exit the station and turn LEFT. There will be a bus stop and almost always, the campus bus is already there, waiting for you! Last year it cost £1 one-way from Egham station towards main campus :yes:

thanks! its my first day tomorrow im so nervous! if i want to get back to egham station from the uni how do i do that?
Hi, thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, Richmond is too far from me, and in the wrong direction!

Ah fair enough :colondollar:

thanks! its my first day tomorrow im so nervous! if i want to get back to egham station from the uni how do i do that?

You'll be fine dw, it's a great uni and people are friendly and will help you navigate your way around.

You can either walk down the hill (takes about 20 mins if you're quick. I tend to leave about 30 mins, coz I'm slow :colondollar: ) back to the station OR take the campus bus (10 past and 40 past the hour IIRC) from the bus shelter near Founders (the red-brick building). It's near the main gate and is the same bus shelter that the bus from Egham to campus stops at. Ask anyone if you get lost and they can point you in the right direction :smile:
You'll be fine dw, it's a great uni and people are friendly and will help you navigate your way around.

You can either walk down the hill (takes about 20 mins if you're quick. I tend to leave about 30 mins, coz I'm slow :colondollar: ) back to the station OR take the campus bus (10 past and 40 past the hour IIRC) from the bus shelter near Founders (the red-brick building). It's near the main gate and is the same bus shelter that the bus from Egham to campus stops at. Ask anyone if you get lost and they can point you in the right direction :smile:

cool thanks! hopefully i meet someone at the bus stop on my way there! btw when i get to the uni where do i go to get my college ID?

cool thanks! hopefully i meet someone at the bus stop on my way there! btw when i get to the uni where do i go to get my college ID?

Windsor Building is usually where it happens, I think. It's the grey building with glass windows to the left of Founders (red brick building) if standing facing Founders :yes:
Windsor Building is usually where it happens, I think. It's the grey building with glass windows to the left of Founders (red brick building) if standing facing Founders :yes:

Ok thanks! What do the campus buses look like/ do they say the uni name on them? Ive never been to the area before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thanks! What do the campus buses look like/ do they say the uni name on them? Ive never been to the area before

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually it's a white single decker but for Welcome Week it may well be a double decker. They do double deckers for open days. Just go to the bus and ask the bus driver or look for a sign if in doubt :smile: And try and have exact change ready for the campus bus - they don't like it when you swallow up their change by giving them a fiver or tenner note :eek:
Usually it's a white single decker but for Welcome Week it may well be a double decker. They do double deckers for open days. Just go to the bus and ask the bus driver or look for a sign if in doubt :smile: And try and have exact change ready for the campus bus - they don't like it when you swallow up their change by giving them a fiver or tenner note :eek:

Ok thats good to know! so does the bus go straight from the station to the uni then? So its not a long journey then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thats good to know! so does the bus go straight from the station to the uni then? So its not a long journey then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it goes straight from Egham Station to the main campus, dropping you off by Founders (red brick building). With little traffic, it usually takes about 5 mins. The thing to remember about the campus bus though, is that it is scheduled to run in accordance with the train timetable. As such it goes AFTER the hour (I forget the exact time but between the hour and 5 past the hour, from Egham Station to main campus).

So say you are trying to get there for a 9am lecture. You need to get a train that gets you into Egham Station by, say, 8.30am at the absolute latest :yes: Something to bear in mind. It doesn't affect me coz I am a PhD student but if you like to be early/on time to lectures, it's worth bearing in mind :yes:
Yes it goes straight from Egham Station to the main campus, dropping you off by Founders (red brick building). With little traffic, it usually takes about 5 mins. The thing to remember about the campus bus though, is that it is scheduled to run in accordance with the train timetable. As such it goes AFTER the hour (I forget the exact time but between the hour and 5 past the hour, from Egham Station to main campus).

So say you are trying to get there for a 9am lecture. You need to get a train that gets you into Egham Station by, say, 8.30am at the absolute latest :yes: Something to bear in mind. It doesn't affect me coz I am a PhD student but if you like to be early/on time to lectures, it's worth bearing in mind :yes:

Ohh that's useful to know ill get there early then! When i get on the bus do i just tell the driver that i wanna go to the uni? Also are there many commuting students do you know? Im so nervous !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohh that's useful to know ill get there early then! When i get on the bus do i just tell the driver that i wanna go to the uni? Also are there many commuting students do you know? Im so nervous !

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need to say anything to the bus driver: just give him a pound coin or silver coins adding up to a pound (or a £2 coin and get your change) and off you'll go! Main campus is the first stop from Egham Station. The bus then proceeds onto some of the residences outside of the mainn campus.

I've no idea how many undergrads commute. It's common for postgrads to commute but I did my undergrad and Masters degrees elsewhere, so I'm afraid I have no idea about undergrads :colondollar:

Don't be nervous - remember loads of people won't know each other and I'm sure many Londoners will commute from home. So there will be people in the same boat as you.

During Welcome Week there are people wandering around campus, usually in orange T-shirts/raincoats to help you. So don't hesitate to ask them anything/everything! That's what they're there for :biggrin:

The campus is relatively straightforward to navigate once you've figured out where Bedford Library (the social sciences and sciences library) is. It's hidden away but once you've been there once or twice, it's all straightforward :biggrin:

Good luck with everything and enjoy Welcome Week :biggrin: Do post again if you have more questions and I'll try and answer. Can't tell you everything though, coz I'm a different level of study, etc. :yes:

Btw, I recommend downloading the CampusMe and UpayChilli apps if you have a smartphone. The former is a RHUL app that has a map, telling you where things are. You can also check the library system on it, etc. The latter app you'll need to top up your campus card with money for the cafes, etc. (which I recommend doing - if you pay with your campus card, you don't pay VAT!). There are machines on campus that you can top up your campus card with but there aren't that many of them. So it's easier to top up online with UpayChilli, on the go :awesome:
You don't need to say anything to the bus driver: just give him a pound coin or silver coins adding up to a pound (or a £2 coin and get your change) and off you'll go! Main campus is the first stop from Egham Station. The bus then proceeds onto some of the residences outside of the mainn campus.

I've no idea how many undergrads commute. It's common for postgrads to commute but I did my undergrad and Masters degrees elsewhere, so I'm afraid I have no idea about undergrads :colondollar:

Don't be nervous - remember loads of people won't know each other and I'm sure many Londoners will commute from home. So there will be people in the same boat as you.

During Welcome Week there are people wandering around campus, usually in orange T-shirts/raincoats to help you. So don't hesitate to ask them anything/everything! That's what they're there for :biggrin:

The campus is relatively straightforward to navigate once you've figured out where Bedford Library (the social sciences and sciences library) is. It's hidden away but once you've been there once or twice, it's all straightforward :biggrin:

Good luck with everything and enjoy Welcome Week :biggrin: Do post again if you have more questions and I'll try and answer. Can't tell you everything though, coz I'm a different level of study, etc. :yes:

Btw, I recommend downloading the CampusMe and UpayChilli apps if you have a smartphone. The former is a RHUL app that has a map, telling you where things are. You can also check the library system on it, etc. The latter app you'll need to top up your campus card with money for the cafes, etc. (which I recommend doing - if you pay with your campus card, you don't pay VAT!). There are machines on campus that you can top up your campus card with but there aren't that many of them. So it's easier to top up online with UpayChilli, on the go :awesome:

Thank you!!! The apps arent in the app store 😕 i typed the second exact thing u wrote..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you!!! The apps arent in the app store 😕 i typed the second exact thing u wrote..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm how weird! I found them OK on my Samsung and downloaded them ages ago and everything. Are you on an Apple phone? Hmmm. Not sure what to suggest :s-smilie:

Either way, UpayChilli have a website you can use:
https://www.upaychilli.com/ . Once you have your RHUL card and email set up, you should be fine to go and register with them! :biggrin:

CampusMe is less useful, so it's not important to have it. It's just useful for checking what time things are open til, etc. and the map is handy when you're starting :colondollar:

Also, anothing thing I forgot to mention: if your train gets delayed and you miss the campus bus, you can get a taxi from the taxi rank by the station. If approaching Egham by train FROM London, cross the footbridge to the other platform and take the side gate exit - the taxi rank is in front of you, pretty much. Costs about a fiver one-way up the hill :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending