The Student Room Group

Further maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tiny hobbit
Please don't give out incorrect information.

Pure Maths A level consists of C1 - 4, FP1 and either FP2 or FP3.
AS FM can be FP1 - 3.

These are true for OCR as well as Edexcel (I haven't checked AQA.

I couldn't find the info for that anywhere on Edexcel. I know for a fact AQA doesn't do this.
Original post by RDKGames
I couldn't find the info for that anywhere on Edexcel.

Try pages 7 and 8 of the Edexcel Specification.
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2008.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FSpecification-and-sample-assessments

I know for a fact AQA doesn't do this.

More incorrect information. AQA does exactly the same except that there are 4 FP units to choose from. See the specification here:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/as-and-a-level/further-mathematics-6360

More incorrect information. AQA does exactly the same except that there are 4 FP units to choose from. See the specification here:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/as-and-a-level/further-mathematics-6360

Well that makes no sense. Using 2/3 modules from A2 for an AS qualification seems illogical. They may as well scrap the AS/A2 difference altogether at this point.

Fair enough.
Well that makes no sense. Using 2/3 modules from A2 for an AS qualification seems illogical. They may as well scrap the AS/A2 difference altogether at this point.

I have had students do FP1 - 3 for AS FM or FP1, FP2 and M2. THey were doing the units that they thought would help them most when they went to university.

The only difference that I can think of for labelling Maths modules as AS or A2 is to make it clear which ones count towards the A* in FM.
You can't. Further Pure modules STAY in Further Maths, they do not mix with Core 1-4. FP2/FP3 are A2 modules so you cannot have them for AS FM. Simple as that. What exam board are you?

that's not actually true bro, I am currently studying ASFM with edexcel doing FP1, FP2 and S1 so.. Also FP1, FP2 and FP3 can be done together to give you ASFPM apparently, FPM standing for further pure maths. All of this is from my maths teacher with reference to edexcel so other exam boards could be different but idk :smile:
Reply 25
How can he take 2 strict A2 modules and make them count for an AS qualification??? That makes no sense as 66% of the modules in that combination would be counted for A2. Unless Edexcel is just being extremely awkward with this.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/67746-specification.pdf

For OCR you can have FP1 + 2 other modules which are not C1-4. So FP1-3 is fine.

You can also do A Level Pure Mathematics which is C1-4, FP1 and FP2 or FP3.

Read the specifications before stating your opinions as facts.
Please don't give out incorrect information.

Pure Maths A level consists of C1 - 4, FP1 and either FP2 or FP3.
AS FM can be FP1 - 3.

These are true for OCR as well as Edexcel (I haven't checked AQA.

hmm my maths teacher seemed quite insistent that I couldn't 'skip' units (as in doing S2 without S1) as edexcel wouldn't credit it. So could you only do FP3 if you included FP2 in another qualification?
Also lol, if you do Pure Maths can you only do additional further maths as a second qualification?
Original post by Apdhillon15
Im taking maths (C1-4,S1,D1) and further maths seperately, also could u tell me if I can take FP1 and M1 in the first year ans then M2 in the second year??

Hi,

I was in a similar situation as you- school didn't do further maths so I self taught as AS. On edexcel you definitely can include FP2 in an AS because I did mine with FP1, FP2 and M2 and it worked fine. I also split them across two years like you're suggesting. I did FP1 in year 12 and FP2 and M2 in year 13, so this is also doable.
Original post by k.russell
hmm my maths teacher seemed quite insistent that I couldn't 'skip' units (as in doing S2 without S1) as edexcel wouldn't credit it. So could you only do FP3 if you included FP2 in another qualification?
Also lol, if you do Pure Maths can you only do additional further maths as a second qualification?

You need stuff from S1 in S2, so skipping S1 is not a good idea. Edexcel won't let you have S2 in A level Maths without S1, but you could in theory have S2 in FM without having done S1.

FP2 and FP3 don'r depend on each other, so you can do either one without doingthe other.
Reply 29
Ahh thanks! I was just worried about so many constant replies and I was kinda confused on who is right and wrong. So yea thank you for clearing that up for me!!! 😊😊

Quick Reply

Latest