The Student Room Group

Is A level phiolsophy hard??

I'm picking A levels and I was considering philosophy along with biology, history and sociolgoy. I don't know much about philosophy so I was wondering if anyone who has done it can tell me if they enjoy it, if it's hard etc. Of course all A levels are hard but I still want to hear an opinion. In the future I want to go into political economy but I'm still really not sure so I'm keeping my options opened. Any help is appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
I did Biology, Chemistry and Religious Studies, half of the A2 being philosophy. Tbh its nit bad I think it was ok but it really depends on the spec on whether it is interesting or not. Some things I found dull learning about but I did in the exam as they are the easiest to remember
Reply 2
you could consider doing economics or government and politics if you want to study political economy. One of those would be more relevant than philosophy imo.
Original post by valdokarina
I'm picking A levels and I was considering philosophy along with biology, history and sociolgoy. I don't know much about philosophy so I was wondering if anyone who has done it can tell me if they enjoy it, if it's hard etc. Of course all A levels are hard but I still want to hear an opinion. In the future I want to go into political economy but I'm still really not sure so I'm keeping my options opened. Any help is appreciated :smile:

If you mean 'Philosophy and Ethics', then, no, it's basically RE and no harder than Economics or Sociology.

If you mean 'Philosophy, Exam board: AQA' then it's a very challenging course, with very harsh marking and extremely difficult concepts. It's perfectly possible, but will require effort. Just put it this way: my Philosophy teacher said that when he showed his uni friends the AQA Philosophy syllabus they were all pretty amazed at the things which were on it (which they had first come across only at uni).
Original post by ccfctom
you could consider doing economics or government and politics if you want to study political economy. One of those would be more relevant than philosophy imo.

No, no, no. Philosophy complements any other humanity. Indeed, I would argue it's a gaping hole in your education if you're a humanities student who has never studied Philosophy. Go to America or continental Europe and they start teaching Philosophy from a very early age, and to a high standard. In this country our students are comparatively very ignorant.
Reply 5
Original post by Jehaan
I did Biology, Chemistry and Religious Studies, half of the A2 being philosophy. Tbh its nit bad I think it was ok but it really depends on the spec on whether it is interesting or not. Some things I found dull learning about but I did in the exam as they are the easiest to remember

I see, thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ccfctom

Sadly economics is not taught well at our school otherwise I would pick it. Yh I was thinking of picking government and politicos but maybe it's too similar to history? which I'm defiantly picking.
Reply 7
Original post by SunnysideSea
No, no, no. Philosophy complements any other humanity. Indeed, I would argue it's a gaping hole in your education if you're a humanities student who has never studied Philosophy. Go to America or continental Europe and they start teaching Philosophy from a very early age, and to a high standard. In this country our students are comparatively very ignorant.

Ohhh I see, thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by SunnysideSea
If you mean 'Philosophy and Ethics', then, no, it's basically RE and no harder than Economics or Sociology.

If you mean 'Philosophy, Exam board: AQA' then it's a very challenging course, with very harsh marking and extremely difficult concepts. It's perfectly possible, but will require effort. Just put it this way: my Philosophy teacher said that when he showed his uni friends the AQA Philosophy syllabus they were all pretty amazed at the things which were on it (which they had first come across only at uni).

Yeah I think it's going to be philosophy and ethics like RE :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by valdokarina
Sadly economics is not taught well at our school otherwise I would pick it. Yh I was thinking of picking government and politicos but maybe it's too similar to history? which I'm defiantly picking.

Nah not really. Doing government and
Politics would help you more than philosophy in getting on a course to do with political economy.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prospectus/subject/politics-economics/entry-requirements/

Studying government and politics would display an "interest in politics"

Quick Reply

Latest