The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

What is Edinburgh uni like?

I am thinking of applying even though I have not been able to go to an open day. What is it like, in terms of accomodation, atmosphere, buildings (are they traditional or more modern?) and just general things! Thanks!
I went to the Open Day and I fell in love with it. The accommodation really depends on what you want; catered/self and shared/ensuite bathrooms but accommodation is pretty similar in most uni's (I've been to too many open days) - the main thing that will vary is the price, and even then it's not that much of a difference. Most accommodation was pretty modern styled.

The buildings are great - there really is a mix of modern and traditional buildings and campus was well thought out for a uni I thought. It was raining when I went, but I don't think that dampened the atmosphere at all - it's great if you want a cute, picturesque but modern student town. The uni is well located ( I sound like I'm selling it or something hahah lol) and personally I just couldn't find anything I didn't like that much. Their lecture halls were good and the facilities I saw (medical) were pretty clean and modern too.

Overall I really liked it and am definitely going to apply, but it depends on the person really.
If you have any questions - don't hesitate to ask.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Fresher here, so far so good. Accommodation at pollock halls is quite nice, clean etc, not sure about other places. Catered food is average. Walk to uni (george square) takes like 20 mins from pollocks (not too bad). Mixed building styles, depending on your course.
Original post by iamaslostasyou
I went to the Open Day and I fell in love with it. The accommodation really depends on what you want; catered/self and shared/ensuite bathrooms but accommodation is pretty similar in most uni's (I've been to too many open days) - the main thing that will vary is the price, and even then it's not that much of a difference. Most accommodation was pretty modern styled.

The buildings are great - there really is a mix of modern and traditional buildings and campus was well thought out for a uni I thought. It was raining when I went, but I don't think that dampened the atmosphere at all - it's great if you want a cute, picturesque but modern student town. The uni is well located ( I sound like I'm selling it or something hahah lol) and personally I just couldn't find anything I didn't like that much. Their lecture halls were good and the facilities I saw (medical) were pretty clean and modern too.

Overall I really liked it and am definitely going to apply, but it depends on the person really.
If you have any questions - don't hesitate to ask.

Oh okay that sounds great! And that is good about the medical facilities as Im applying for medicine so :smile: I think I will apply, thank you!! Hmm questions... Is the medical school close to the main campusy area? Is it a traditional building or modern? Any shops nearby?
Original post by Yammy
Fresher here, so far so good. Accommodation at pollock halls is quite nice, clean etc, not sure about other places. Catered food is average. Walk to uni (george square) takes like 20 mins from pollocks (not too bad). Mixed building styles, depending on your course.

Thats nice! And yeah I love traditional style buildings aha
Original post by isabella1999
Hmm questions... Is the medical school close to the main campusy area? Is it a traditional building or modern? Any shops nearby?

The medical school, as with most, is quite a ways from the central campus, but it's not too far by the university shuttle bus or by bike. The walk I think to the city centre it about 30 minutes to 40 minutes.
The medical faculty is quite modern and I really liked it; it had its own library and computer rooms, as well as clinical skills rooms and lecture theatres - its quite big and
very well kept :smile:

There are quite a few shops nearby, like Tesco Metro and other supermarkets and convenience stores. The main shopping area is around Princes Street and Georges Square in the city centre and there's loads of high street brands and shops there - there's really nothing missing there that you don't have in your own town/city.

Hope that helps!
Original post by iamaslostasyou
The medical school, as with most, is quite a ways from the central campus, but it's not too far by the university shuttle bus or by bike. The walk I think to the city centre it about 30 minutes to 40 minutes.
The medical faculty is quite modern and I really liked it; it had its own library and computer rooms, as well as clinical skills rooms and lecture theatres - its quite big and
very well kept :smile:

There are quite a few shops nearby, like Tesco Metro and other supermarkets and convenience stores. The main shopping area is around Princes Street and Georges Square in the city centre and there's loads of high street brands and shops there - there's really nothing missing there that you don't have in your own town/city.

Hope that helps!

Oh okay thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending