The Student Room Group

Should I do an extra GCSE?

I've been thinking about doing an extra GCSE in Ancient Greek, however I'm not too sure if it's the right decision... I'm thinking that after I have finished my GCSEs I want to move Sixth Forms and do Latin and Ancient Greek as a joint A Level. But doing an extra GCSE is making me anxious about putting me under pressure along with my other subjects such as Maths and Triple Science.

I was just wondering if anyone else has done extra GCSEs and did you think it was the right decision? Any other advice is welcomed :smile:
the way i see it, just 1 more subject to study for.

when the real thing comes, your exams will be spaced out over 4-6 weeks depends.

i did arabic but my situation is miles away from yours but i did it as a private extra gcse but since its my home language its different to greek...

research ur schools exam board and see how the exam is set out, but if greek is where u want to get, u might as well take it
I did Computing and Triple Science and you just have to make sure that you don't have any major distractions. But taking an extra GCSE isn't as tough as you think.
I wouldn't. In my opinion, it's more worthwhile having 10 GCSE's at A* level than say 14 but all at A-C level
Reply 4
Original post by grace_wh
I wouldn't. In my opinion, it's more worthwhile having 10 GCSE's at A* level than say 14 but all at A-C level

My school only does 8 GCSEs in total, Ancient Greek would be my ninth, and I wouldn't dare to go over 10 GCSEs!
Original post by Lydiagr_
My school only does 8 GCSEs in total, Ancient Greek would be my ninth, and I wouldn't dare to go over 10 GCSEs!

in that case then I would definitely go for it as the norm is around 10 GCSE's :smile:)
Reply 6
I've been thinking about doing an extra GCSE in Ancient Greek, however I'm not too sure if it's the right decision... I'm thinking that after I have finished my GCSEs I want to move Sixth Forms and do Latin and Ancient Greek as a joint A Level.

Is joint Latin and Greek A level even available? If it is i can't find it. You can do Latin, or Classical Greek or Classical Civilization but that is all in English.
What GCSEs are you currently studying and what year are you in?
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
Is joint Latin and Greek A level even available? If it is i can't find it. You can do Latin, or Classical Greek or Classical Civilization but that is all in English.
What GCSEs are you currently studying and what year are you in?

I'm currently in year 10 and studying History, Geography, Latin and the usual compulsory subjects (Triple science).
Reply 8
If you want to study it at A-Level then the GCSE would certainly be beneficial in terms of knowledge. If you are studying eight GCSEs then another should certainly be manageable. What year are you in and are you thinking of doing this privately or at school?
Reply 9
Original post by Clemm101
If you want to study it at A-Level then the GCSE would certainly be beneficial in terms of knowledge. If you are studying eight GCSEs then another should certainly be manageable. What year are you in and are you thinking of doing this privately or at school?

They don't offer Ancient Greek at my school, so I'm planning to be a private candidate instead.
I'm currently in year 10 and studying History, Geography, Latin and the usual compulsory subjects (Triple science).

If those are your options then you're almost certainly also studying Maths, English Language and English Literature (making 9) even if you school allows you to opt out of RE and a modern language.

If you have't started Ancient Greek yet then your work would be cut out getting a decent grade at it in Year 11 and it wouldn't be necessary. (It s fairly different from Latin). You could still study Latin and/or Classical Civilisation at A level without it and no university Classics course require Greek at GCSE or A level as there's barely a state school in the country that teaches it.
They don't offer Ancient Greek at my school, so I'm planning to be a private candidate instead.

In that case it depends on how independent a learner you are. If you are self-disciplined and willing to put the work in there shouldn't be a problem. If it begins to feel as though you can't cope you can always drop it at a later stage and you'll still have gained a good bit of helpful knowledge. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply