The Student Room Group

"Soft" and "hard" A levels...the truth! My message (especially for younger years)

Hey everyone,
I would like to send a genuine message coming from experience. After giving a talk to the younger years at my school and reading some threads on TSR even, I think this is important to raise. To the younger years especially, I hope you can take into consideration what I am about to say. Here is a message from me to you.
So guys and girls, I'm telling you this from experience...please don't make your A level choices solely on the basis to whether or not the subjects are deemed as "soft" or "hard". Taking traditional subjects like History, Maths, Chemistry, Biology etc is only good if you certainly need them for your course at university i.e Chem and Bio for medicine and if you sincerely enjoy these subjects.
I'm not saying avoid these subjects because I will admit, taking certain traditional subjects such as Maths, English Literature and Chemistry would give you more flexibility in terms of allowing you more options to choose from with the course you'd like to study at uni. It's why they are called 'facilitating subjects.' The definition of the word, 'facilitate' is 'to make easier or less difficult; help forward, an action, a process, etc' which means when trying to find a subject to study at uni, you wouldn't face obstacles when finding a course, being limited but would have more access to possible options. This is a good thing but for those who already know what they want, you don't have to go down this route. So it isn't because these subjecs are 'harder' but because with these, you could choose options from both sides, not only for example only humanities-based courses or science-based courses.

I knew from the beginning, I wanted to do something humanities based but made this mistake of ditching my interests for what is seemed more 'respectable'. I left my first option: English Literature, religious studies, psychology and Drama for English Literature, Maths, Chemistry and Physics though I knew I've always been humanities-based, having a true interest in RS and Drama. Unfortunately, (though it wasn't only this that contributed) it resulted in me repeating a year.
I tried going back to my second option but after having to find a new school, last minute in mid-August after results day, it was too late. There weren't spaces for those courses which I now regret.

To end on this note. Earlier, I was sent a PM by a kind user on here who explained to me his journey with education and how he ended up in Cambridge. He's actually a mature student. When I tell you, this dude is a fighter. He studied English Literature, Psychology, Sociology and Media Studies at AS, taking English Lit, Sociology and Psychology at A2 then he just started doing HSPS at Cambridge this September. Same with our head girl who took English Literature, Psychology, Art and Sociology at AS, taking English Lit, Psychology and Art into A2. She'll be studying psychology and behavioural science at Cambridge this September also.
So please, pick a subject if you need them for course at uni or if you have an interest in it. Once you get in, no one would be speaking about 'soft' or 'hard' A levels. If you already know what you want to study i.e Psychology, this flexibility wouldn't matter to you. When unis on their sites mention "no required subjects needed", underneath their requirements section- they truly do mean it! Please do not force yourself to take subjects you do not enjoy simply because of labels that these unis themselves do not consider.
Unless the university says that they do not accept it, i.e some unis not accepting general studies then you will be fine!

Don't consider what others may think about your options. Let them talk, just do you and focus on your own goals and where you want to get to in life. People will always have their opinions. So ladies and gents...do what makes you happy!

Thank you for reading xx
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cherry82

So ladies and gents...do what makes you happy!

YAS YAS YAS

Don't get me wrong- I'm excited to be applying for genetics and I'm shocked I could actually have a shot at applying for GEM when my time comes around, but I don't exactly enjoy biology as a subject, more the career choices it gives me.

Sciences were my weakest subjects so yep I would've enjoyed sixth form far more if I chose my best subjects over sciences, but deciding sciences meant is was was more stressful AND my AS grades were horrendous.

Pick what your good at AND enjoy, but deffo take a subject that may be pretty damn hard but a career path opener!!
Exactly! Even if I get onto my genetics course I'll never think of myself as a sciencey person, ever
A quick shout out to anyone who finds the soft subjects hard!
I tried to do English GCSE this year because it was a requirement for some of my university offers, but I dropped it because of the stress.
Don't listen to this. Only this morning in the paper I read that now 30% of graduates earn less than the average non-graduate. This number is increasingly rapidly. The degrees that were most 'underpaid'? None of them were 'traditional subjects'.
Original post by richpanda
Don't listen to this. Only this morning in the paper I read that now 30% of graduates earn less than the average non-graduate. This number is increasingly rapidly. The degrees that were most 'underpaid'? None of them were 'traditional subjects'.

exactly

do what makes you happy, by all means, but don't expect to get paid for it
This is my personal opinion but I think one of the biggest issues besides future prospects when it comes to soft subjects is that it is easier to get a high grade in a soft subject such as media studies than it is to get a high grade in a hard subject such as chemistry.
From what i've seen at my sixth form, people doing hard subjects often look down on those doing soft subjects, especially when they think that their A in media studies is equal to somebody else's A in a hard science.
Of course, a lot of hard work is needed to succeed in any subject, but I think more hard work and intellectual ability is needed to succeed in a hard subject, which is why they are more respected.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jessyjellytot14
This is my personal opinion but I think one of the biggest issues besides future prospects when it comes to soft subjects is that it is easier to get a high grade in a soft subject such as media studies than it is to get a high grade in a hard subject such as chemistry.
From what i've seen at my sixth form, people doing hard subjects often look down on those doing soft subjects, especially when they think that their A in media studies is equal to somebody else's A in a hard science.
Of course, a lot of hard work is needed to succeed in any subject, but I think more hard work and intellectual ability is needed to succeed in a hard subject, which is why they are more respected.

Why do universities expect higher grades for STEM subjects if they are supposedly harder to get the same grade as someone doing a humanity/arts subject. It makes no sense.
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Why do universities expect higher grades for STEM subjects if they are supposedly harder to get the same grade as someone doing a humanity/arts subject. It makes no sense.

For the same reason as before: STEM subjects at university are harder so they need to make sure the applicants will be able to cope with the course. How do they do this? They make the entry requirements higher.
If you have a look at a course list/prospectus for any university, the general pattern is that the STEM subject courses have the higher entry requirements.
Lets look at Cambridge for example.
Natural Sciences: A*A*A
Medicine: A*A*A
Mathematics: A*A*A + STEP
Engineering: A*A*A

Asian and Middle Eastern Studies: A*AA
Classics: A*AA
History of art: A*AA

You'll probably find a similar thing with any university. Of course, there are other factors affecting these requirements such as how competitive each of the courses are but I don't think its a coincidence that STEM subjects nearly always have higher requirements. Most STEM subjects also prefer you to study at least two STEM subjects at A-level as well.
I'm not saying they are better, but they are harder.
Reply 9
Original post by richpanda

You seemed to miss the message I am sending. I am not talking about university degrees but a levels. You're talking about university degrees. I am talking about A levels and that students shouldn't only take A levels because they are deemed 'hard'. Especially if what you want to study at university doesn't require these traditional subjects then do not feel obligated to take them. If you want to study a science-based course and you need these subjects, then take them. I know students taking Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Further maths just to study Law at university. It isn't because they enjoy any of these subjects but they do so in the hopes of it enhancing their applications. It's more of a status thing too. The 'none of them traditional degrees' you're mentioning is a whole another topic on it's own. So rather, read my whole message before coming to conclusions please. If you'd like to talk about university degrees, many of us are aware that those taking arts courses compared to sciences do earn less due to public demand and their industries. Jobs with the NHS will always be needed but the university graduates that studied Arts at university would most likely have to work independently and would struggle finding dedicated buyers with their competitive industries. Millions want to be an actress, singer, artist, freelance writer and in these industries, it isn't as simple as getting degrees to be successful in them or to reach the next step. But for the student who is happy with their desired degree whether it's arts based/ humanities-based or science based, they shouldn't feel the need to take on subjects not needed for their wanted course at uni, unless it's something they enjoy and need.
(edited 7 years ago)
I can't say how true this is and I hope a lot of young ones listen.

Personally I chose to study All sciences and maths at AS :rolleyes: I didn't know what I wanted to study at university, and forfeited subjects I genuinely loved. But, I thought employers and universities will love that I have "hard" subjects therefore placing me on a higher standing to those that completed so called "softer" subjects.

How wrong was I. I have always been academic throughout school, achieving 11 GCSEs with either A or A* grades. However from A levels I completely lost the will to study and struggled to get ABB. I blame this on the lack of variety of my subjects, and not particularly enjoying anything, other than Maths which I enthusiastically spent 70% of my study time on. Non-coincidentally that is what I got my A in.

Now my exam board for maths was OCR MEI, which is considerably harder than the others. To put this into perspective, my maths class could easly excel in the Edexcel paper, but took longer and struggled with the OCR MEI paper. But employers and Unis do not see exam boards and subjects. No one will ever say "oh look here, she got an A in maths A-levels. I know if she had done an Edexcel paper she most certainly would have achieved an A*". No one will ever say that, ever.

Now don't get me wrong, if you have a idea of what you want to study at university, have a look at different university prospectuses. Some courses are likely to have ONE compulsory subject. For example, most engineering courses require just Maths, except chemical engineering which requires just Chemistry; Pharmacy requires Chemistry; Moving to humanities subjects they just tend to have Grade requirements, so someone that has been studying from dawn to dusk for "hard subjects" and managed to achieve ABB, is NOT on a Better standing to someone else whose "soft subjects" enabled them to achieve A*AB. Not to forget that with lower grades you are more or less instantly exempt from a lot of Russel group universities.

In all relax guys, its really not that deep. You guys are too young to pulling your hairs out at such an early stage in your lives. Because, trust me you have plenty more opportunities. Take it from a pharmacy graduate.
Reply 11
Original post by EricPiphany
A quick shout out to anyone who finds the soft subjects hard!
I tried to do English GCSE this year because it was a requirement for some of my university offers, but I dropped it because of the stress.

I'm doing A level law that's said to be 'soft' but the irony is, I find it harder than English Literature. I entered this course thinking I could breeze through but I was so wrong. It's full of application questions, memorising Acts, Statutes, dates, quotes and cases to remember and this was AS. Now, A2 is actually ridiculous. Looking at the results statistics last year, around 3% got A* which is shocking and at my school, no one did. I can't play this year. But, do what's best for you. If I remember having grade C at English was a standard requirement for many university courses, humanities and sciences so just recheck that you wouldn't need it for your desired course x
Reply 12
Completely agree :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by pharmattack
I can't say how true this is and I hope a lot of young ones listen.

Personally I chose to study All sciences and maths at AS :rolleyes: I didn't know what I wanted to study at university, and forfeited subjects I genuinely loved. But, I thought employers and universities will love that I have "hard" subjects therefore placing me on a higher standing to those that completed so called "softer" subjects.

How wrong was I. I have always been academic throughout school, achieving 11 GCSEs with either A or A* grades. However from A levels I completely lost the will to study and struggled to get ABB. I blame this on the lack of variety of my subjects, and not particularly enjoying anything, other than Maths which I enthusiastically spent 70% of my study time on. Non-coincidentally that is what I got my A in.

Now my exam board for maths was OCR MEI, which is considerably harder than the others. To put this into perspective, my maths class could easly excel in the Edexcel paper, but took longer and struggled with the OCR MEI paper. But employers and Unis do not see exam boards and subjects. No one will ever say "oh look here, she got an A in maths A-levels. I know if she had done an Edexcel paper she most certainly would have achieved an A*". No one will ever say that, ever.

Now don't get me wrong, if you have a idea of what you want to study at university, have a look at different university prospectuses. Some courses are likely to have ONE compulsory subject. For example, most engineering courses require just Maths, except chemical engineering which requires just Chemistry; Pharmacy requires Chemistry; Moving to humanities subjects they just tend to have Grade requirements, so someone that has been studying from dawn to dusk for "hard subjects" and managed to achieve ABB, is NOT on a Better standing to someone else whose "soft subjects" enabled them to achieve A*AB. Not to forget that with lower grades you are more or less instantly exempt from a lot of Russel group universities.

In all relax guys, its really not that deep. You guys are too young to pulling your hairs out at such an early stage in your lives. Because, trust me you have plenty more opportunities. Take it from a pharmacy graduate.

Aw, thanks for sharing this. This also gave me some insights too x :h:
I think too many people take the wrong a-levels and then don't do as well as they could of done. I'm in year 12 and just starting government and politics, sociology, and english literature and they are all subjects I am incredibly interested in so they shouldn't be too much of a chore to learn. (I want to study politics and uni)

Loads of people in my year are doing a-levels just because they were good at them during GCSE's and/or because they are 'respected' a-levels rather than ones they enjoy. Some even just do the a-levels their parents tell them to do.
Reply 15
Original post by HAnwar
Completely agree :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, nice hearing from you. Hope you're doing well <3 :h:
Original post by AspiringUnderdog

Original post by jessyjellytot14
For the same reason as before: STEM subjects at university are harder so they need to make sure the applicants will be able to cope with the course. How do they do this? They make the entry requirements higher.
If you have a look at a course list/prospectus for any university, the general pattern is that the STEM subject courses have the higher entry requirements.
Lets look at Cambridge for example.
Natural Sciences: A*A*A
Medicine: A*A*A
Mathematics: A*A*A + STEP
Engineering: A*A*A

Asian and Middle Eastern Studies: A*AA
Classics: A*AA
History of art: A*AA

You'll probably find a similar thing with any university. Of course, there are other factors affecting these requirements such as how competitive each of the courses are but I don't think its a coincidence that STEM subjects nearly always have higher requirements. Most STEM subjects also prefer you to study at least two STEM subjects at A-level as well.
I'm not saying they are better, but they are harder.

This is nonsense, it has nothing to do with a greater difficult of STEM subjects in comparison to non-STEM subjects. It's because exams in STEM subjects have objective answers so can be marked much more predictably and objectively, whereas non-STEM subjects don't. If you are very talented at Maths, unless you screw up in your exams, you will not have too much difficulty in getting an A* in A Level Maths. The same cannot be definitely said for a subject like Drama or Art or Literature, where analysis is subjective and marking could vary significantly between examiners. This is the reason behind the difference in entry requirements, not some nonsense about a non-existent difference in difficulty.
Reply 17
Hey, nice hearing from you. Hope you're doing well <3 :h:

Thanks, hope you are too x
And great message!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw, thanks for sharing this. This also gave me some insights too x :h:

No, Thank you. xx
I hope more young people can see your post and choose their A levels, with a a better understanding of the system.
Reply 19
Original post by epage
I think too many people take the wrong a-levels and then don't do as well as they could of done. I'm in year 12 and just starting government and politics, sociology, and english literature and they are all subjects I am incredibly interested in so they shouldn't be too much of a chore to learn. (I want to study politics and uni)

Loads of people in my year are doing a-levels just because they were good at them during GCSE's and/or because they are 'respected' a-levels rather than ones they enjoy. Some even just do the a-levels their parents tell them to do.

I wish you the very best with your A level courses and you will do well as you seem driven. Having this drive often enables you to strive through the hard times as A levels aren't easy. Especially with the reforms hence why I felt so moved to state this. It's not like before (not saying that before was easy either but before we had re-sits and it was modular unlike now there are no re-sits, it's fully linear and final exams are in year 13 when the pressure of completing uni applications sets in...hate reforms eh). These reforms have made things more stressful, putting more pressure on students so it's important we think deeply on the reasons that persuaded us to choose these subjects. The bit in bold is unfortunate. I know many in that position too. I only wish the best for everyone though. I pray that it all works out. Oh em gee, me too I want to study politics too ( with a tad of international relations :wink:) at university. It took me a while to come to a conclusion. Initially I didn't know such a course existed, that addressed war, human's rights, various governments and global warming even.. only if I knew earlier! When I had saw the syllabus for IR at King's I died. So beautiful :')

Quick Reply

Latest