The Student Room Group

Would you do it for £5000?

This medical institution are offering me 5000 pounds if I take part in a experiment but I might be putting my body at risk as they will be injecting a virus in to my system that will cause me to become seriously ill.

It's part of en experiment to see how long it can take for my body to recover from the virus. They say it has no serious side effects, but apparently it might stay in my system for up to 5 months.

So I don't know, my family is saying I might die.

But would you do it?

Scroll to see replies

I'm white so yes

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Yhyh do it
I've seen trials like this advertised. I wouldn't have been able to do it even if I wanted to because I couldn't have taken enough time off for all of the checkups but I don't even think I'd want to - it'd be great to have an extra £5000 but I don't urgently need it and even though the risk is small and rationally it seems worth it, I still don't think I'd actually go ahead and do it.
Original post by saraxh
I'm white so yes

Spoiler

Why not?
Original post by Man's Too Buff
This medical institution are offering me 5000 pounds if I take part in a experiment but I might be putting my body at risk as they will be injecting a virus in to my system that will cause me to become seriously ill.

It's part of en experiment to see how long it can take for my body to recover from the virus. They say it has no serious side effects, but apparently it might stay in my system for up to 5 months.

So I don't know, my family is saying I might die.

But would you do it?

You mean like a clinical trial? I'm considering doing one myself to pay for my extra year of university tbh. Which company is it with?
Why not?

Reply 7
Why not?

Because you're getting injected with an unknown virus that could kill you. That is not worth £5000
Just for 5k lol? Not worth it what so ever.
Everything has a risk element attached to it. Of course there's a risk of dying with nearly everything we do nowadays. Bear in mind, it's highly occasional that you will end up dying however the risk is still there. The stories that come up in the papers about a trial like this going wrong only happen once in a blue moon since they don't highlight every single successful trial. £5,000 is a lot of money. Personally, I would do it but since it's your body and your decision, you should have the final say.
Or you could take the injection and give me the £5000.
Original post by Plagioclase
I've seen trials like this advertised. I wouldn't have been able to do it even if I wanted to because I couldn't have taken enough time off for all of the checkups but I don't even think I'd want to - it'd be great to have an extra £5000 but I don't urgently need it and even though the risk is small and rationally it seems worth it, I still don't think I'd actually go ahead and do it.

why do you get a purple name, i like the colour purple too!!!! Can i Buy a purple name too for £5.

Really you still wouldn't do it for 5000? And you don't think there's a high chance of dying from this?
Original post by Light Venom
why do you get a purple name, i like the colour purple too!!!! Can i Buy a purple name too for £5.

@Plagioclase
:toofunny: I think I just died of laughter
Can i have a green name? Pretty please? :tongue: :rofl:
Really you still wouldn't do it for 5000? And you don't think there's a high chance of dying from this?

They wouldn't be able to give a clinical trial to people if they thought there was a high (or anywhere near high) risk of dying or serious injury. Of course there's a risk involved and things can go badly, but I don't think there's a very high risk of death. Okay well I guess if it didn't take up a lot of my time then maybe I would consider it but I don't know, it's the kind of thing that I can imagine I would think sounds like a good idea but I never end up actually doing.
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
@Plagioclase :toofunny: I think I just died of laughterCan i have a green name? Pretty please? :tongue: :rofl:

Please wire the £1000 charge to my bank account by tomorrow at 9am and I will see what I can do.
Yeah it's a hospital, I can give you the details if you want.

Just e-mail your interest, and they'll reply straight away.

It's St.Marys hospital.
They wouldn't be able to give a clinical trial to people if they thought there was a high (or anywhere near high) risk of dying or serious injury. Of course there's a risk involved and things can go badly, but I don't think there's a very high risk of death. Okay well I guess if it didn't take up a lot of my time then maybe I would consider it but I don't know, it's the kind of thing that I can imagine I would think sounds like a good idea but I never end up actually doing.

Please wire the £1000 charge to my bank account by tomorrow at 9am and I will see what I can do.

:colone:
Yeah it's a hospital, I can give you the details if you want.

Just e-mail your interest, and they'll reply straight away.

It's St.Marys hospital.

I don't think I would be eligible atm because I'm getting a heart murmur checked out but when I'm medically sound again I'll definatly consider it :smile:

Thanks
Original post by loveleest
Just for 5k lol? Not worth it what so ever.

You say that like 5k is nothing.
no, since they're offering to pay 5 grand (a lot of money) there is definitely a risk there

Quick Reply

Latest