The Student Room Group

What careers are there with a degree in Physics ?

I might be going to university to study physics, I haven't totally made up my mind. I have limited my choices down to engineering or physics. I know what careers there are with engineering and the pay is good from what I've read online. I was just curious to what careers there are with a physics degree. I know some like research scientist, teacher/professor and medical physicist. I actually read up on medical physics and it seems like a good career for me only problem is I've read it's extremely competitive so I'm a little put off on studying physics cause that's the only career that sounded like I'd enjoy. So can anyone tell me any other physics based careers ? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
I might be going to university to study physics, I haven't totally made up my mind. I have limited my choices down to engineering or physics. I know what careers there are with engineering and the pay is good from what I've read online. I was just curious to what careers there are with a physics degree. I know some like research scientist, teacher/professor and medical physicist. I actually read up on medical physics and it seems like a good career for me only problem is I've read it's extremely competitive so I'm a little put off on studying physics cause that's the only career that sounded like I'd enjoy. So can anyone tell me any other physics based careers ? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've listed most of the 'physics based' careers. Everything else is general and could be done by people with all sorts of degrees: e.g. finance, marketing, software engineering, etc..

Physics (along with other quant degrees) would help make you more competitive for more quantitative finance jobs and data science/analytics work.

If you want to become a physicist however, the only way is through doing a PhD and heading into research.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
You've listed most of the 'physics based' careers. Everything else is general and could be done by people with all sorts of degrees: e.g. finance, marketing, software engineering, etc..

Physics (along with other quant degrees) would help make you more competitive for more quantitative finance jobs and data science/analytics work.

If you want to become a physicist however, the only way is through doing a PhD and heading into research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply, Although finance is probably a well paid career I don't think I'd be interested in that kinda stuff. I'm more interested in applying stuff I was taught at uni to my job like medical physics for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Creating an improbability drive using a hot cup of tea?
Original post by RossB1702
Thanks for the reply, Although finance is probably a well paid career I don't think I'd be interested in that kinda stuff. I'm more interested in applying stuff I was taught at uni to my job like medical physics for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, then I'd say work hard and try to get on a good PhD programme.

Otherwise, there are some graduate schemes (open to bachelors/masters grads) within research and development at various energy companies, pharmaceutical companies, engineering firms etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jobs open to physicists: truck driver, refuse collection, waiting staff, McDonalds, shelf stacker, cleaner, airport porter, taxi driver, bus driver, double glazing salesperson, window cleaner.
Original post by uberteknik
Jobs open to physicists: truck driver, refuse collection, waiting staff, McDonalds, shelf stacker, cleaner, airport porter, taxi driver, bus driver, double glazing salesperson, window cleaner.

Window cleaning sounds great man, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Cool, then I'd say work hard and try to get on a good PhD programme.

Otherwise, there are some graduate schemes (open to bachelors/masters grads) within research and development at various energy companies, pharmaceutical companies, engineering firms etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending