The Student Room Group

Can I Do A GCSE In Further Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Squishy•
Aaaaaargh this is hard lol

How come you have this choice anyway? Schools normally only offer one, are you intending to self-study?
Original post by Plagioclase
I honestly haven't got a clue. I did the AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths and didn't think it was too demanding but I don't know about other qualifications.

I did it as well :five:

Spoiler

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
I did it as well :five:

Spoiler

When I got my Arkwright scholarship there was a big awards ceremony where (for some incredibly pretentious reason) they decided to put everyone's GCSE grades (lmao) up on the projector screen as they collected their scholarship and Arkwright, in their infinite wisdom, assumed that my A^ was actually an A so they had my grades as 11A*1A...
Reply 23
How come you have this choice anyway? Schools normally only offer one, are you intending to self-study?

Yah I'm self studying it at home. Well done for ur amazing 12A* wth
Yah I'm self studying it at home. Well done for ur amazing 12A* wth

If you're self-studying it then I'd question whether it's actually worth it. Not that I'm saying the qualification is useless but I personally think your time would be better spent looking through AS Maths material than doing an additional GCSE qualification.
Reply 25
If you're self-studying it then I'd question whether it's actually worth it. Not that I'm saying the qualification is useless but I personally think your time would be better spent looking through AS Maths material than doing an additional GCSE qualification.

I've done Alevel maths. Just doing it for fun as I'm also doing Additional further maths but still want an actual qualification out of it.
Are u doing AS?
I've done Alevel maths. Just doing it for fun as I'm also doing Additional further maths but still want an actual qualification out of it.
Are u doing AS?

What, you've already done A Level Maths? In that case I'd have thought that doing this qualification is completely pointless, you'll just find it really easy... and no I'm at University, I did A Level Maths and Further Maths.
When I got my Arkwright scholarship there was a big awards ceremony where (for some incredibly pretentious reason) they decided to put everyone's GCSE grades (lmao) up on the projector screen as they collected their scholarship and Arkwright, in their infinite wisdom, assumed that my A^ was actually an A so they had my grades as 11A*1A...

looooooooooooooooooooooooool :toofunny:did u be like "m8, u got that wrong"
tbh they had 1 job :rofl::toofunny:

Spoiler

Would u say Edexcel igcse is better then?

Edexcel don't do an IGCSE in Further Maths.
I've done Alevel maths.

Taking Level 2 Cert in Further Maths if you have already done A level Maths would be utterly pointless and just look weird. Don't waste your time.
Reply 30
Original post by Compost
Taking Level 2 Cert in Further Maths if you have already done A level Maths would be utterly pointless and just look weird. Don't waste your time.

well it's an extra qualification so it'd be alright to have that extra gcse why not.
Also it's not like it's gonna take my time up if i already know it, it's just a matter of sitting the exam.
Reply 31
What, you've already done A Level Maths? In that case I'd have thought that doing this qualification is completely pointless, you'll just find it really easy... and no I'm at University, I did A Level Maths and Further Maths.

True but it's an extra gcse so that's why i wanted it. It's just a matter of taking the exam really because i don't need to prepare much do i.
Which university do you go to?
True but it's an extra gcse so that's why i wanted it. It's just a matter of taking the exam really because i don't need to prepare much do i.

There is no point in a GCSE when you've already taken an A level in the same subject.
I graduated long ago.
Reply 33
Original post by Compost
There is no point in a GCSE when you've already taken an A level in the same subject.
I graduated long ago.

I was asking the other guy lol.
It would be no inconvenience what so ever. Just sit the exam and get a qualification. That's it.
I was asking the other guy lol.
It would be no inconvenience what so ever. Just sit the exam and get a qualification. That's it.

There may be no inconvenience but it's £50-£150 down the drain to no purpose. You might as well re-sit KS2 Maths as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
I did the AQA Level 2 Further Maths and on my gcse certificate it says 'GCSE;Further Maths' :biggrin:

Oxford but I echo what the others say - I genuinely do not think there is any point in getting the qualification because if you've got an A Level in Maths, nobody will care about a GCSE in Maths.
Reply 37
Original post by Compost
There may be no inconvenience but it's £50-£150 down the drain to no purpose. You might as well re-sit KS2 Maths as well.

Oxford but I echo what the others say - I genuinely do not think there is any point in getting the qualification because if you've got an A Level in Maths, nobody will care about a GCSE in Maths.

It could put me above other candidates as i'd have more better grades could it not? in university application.
It could put me above other candidates as i'd have more better grades could it not? in university application.

I doubt that it will make any significant difference, universities are not mindless machines that accept people on the basis of how many qualifications they have. The most important grades by far are your A Levels - your GCSEs are of much lesser importance. It's useful to have a generally good set of GCSE results but one extra A* isn't going to change anything. Also bear in mind that universities will see when you took specific exams and when they see that you've taken a GCSE Further Maths exam after your A Levels, it's going to be fairly obvious why.
Reply 39
I doubt that it will make any significant difference, universities are not mindless machines that accept people on the basis of how many qualifications they have. The most important grades by far are your A Levels - your GCSEs are of much lesser importance. It's useful to have a generally good set of GCSE results but one extra A* isn't going to change anything. Also bear in mind that universities will see when you took specific exams and when they see that you've taken a GCSE Further Maths exam after your A Levels, it's going to be fairly obvious why.

oh yeah lol. i mean the universities who require so many A* grades then i'll be able to meet that. I mean tbh it won't make much of a difference but i guess it's for gratification.
If it's cheap then i think i'll just do it but considering what you are saying i don't think i'll waste my money on gratification.

Quick Reply

Latest