The Student Room Group

I'm an Israeli soldier. AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samaad1
I believe in a single state solution Palestine and that's it all the jews should stay where they are but it won't be israel anymore

Prepare to be disappointed then. Many hardline jews believe that Palestine shouldn't exist and should all be Israel as 'jewish holy land'. Do you equally respect that view ?
Original post by mcneill98
Prepare to be disappointed then. Many hardline jews believe that Palestine shouldn't exist and should all be Israel as 'jewish holy land'. Do you equally respect that view ?
I respect it as much as I respect the view that Israel should cease to exist and the territory be returned to the Palestinians where the current inhabitants should go back to the ancestral land (those who are European) i.e. wishful thinking and very stupidboth sides need to compromise and learn to coexist peacefully, either this or continued bloodshed.
this was always going to turn into another israel/palestine thread...
Please explain why israel/palestine is such a huge issue ALL the time in the West.
Original post by Blimey1000
Please explain why israel/palestine is such a huge issue ALL the time in the West.

Because the west is supporting a nation accused of massive war crimes.
I think there needs to be more rage over supporting states like Saudi and Qatar too, countries where you get stoned for adultery and changing religion, and arrested for adultery when reporting rape. Why do these support these ***** ?
Original post by Anonymous
It's annoying because my main has all of my views on Israel/Palestine already posted, but;
I support the Palestinian's right to their own state, but only one that would not be committed to killing Jews and destroying Israel (as Hamas currently is). I think it's unfortunate that there is so much conflict between our groups and I understand the Palestinians have legitimate grievances against us - but their successive governments have only hindered their route to peace. The PA have actually been offered their own state by the Israeli government in previous years that would include all of Gaza and about 98% of the West Bank, but this was refused because it wouldn't allow for displaced Palestinians to claim compensation back against Israel. Very sad!

Can't you see why Palestinians and by extension Hamas are pissed off at Israel though?

You did kinda steal their land 60 years ago and continue to this day to steal their land via illegal settlements?
Original post by samaad1
you are disgusting come back to the UK and give Israel back to the Palestinians as you are living in an apartheid nation I don't understand how you can even justify living in such a place you are a vile human being

Corbyn, it's you? :cool:
Because the west is supporting a nation accused of massive war crimes.
I think there needs to be more rage over supporting states like Saudi and Qatar too, countries where you get stoned for adultery and changing religion, and arrested for adultery when reporting rape. Why do these support these ***** ?

So what. Everyone is accusing everyone else of war crimes. Why is the israel/palestine so special?
Israel or Palestine

Why? 96 marks + 5 for SPaG
Original post by samaad1
you are disgusting come back to the UK and give Israel back to the Palestinians as you are living in an apartheid nation I don't understand how you can even justify living in such a place you are a vile human being
That's not really an option...As an Israeli she has to serve for 2 years at least.
Original post by BasharAssad
how many children/khamas child soldiers have you killed?
Last time we spoke she said the number is in the 50s.
Original post by samaad1
I believe in a single state solution Palestine and that's it all the jews should stay where they are but it won't be israel anymore

That's so naive of you. (Please see below).

Original post by DanB1991
Can't you see why Palestinians and by extension Hamas are pissed off at Israel though?

You did kinda steal their land 60 years ago and continue to this day to steal their land via illegal settlements?

Who care about what Hamas thinks, they're a terrorist group that use children as shields and combatants.

Why is it the Arab's land? Jews have been living in the region before Islam was even a religion. Might wanna read up on the history of the region. (:

Can't you see why they would want their own (official) country after centuries of persecution?

Also, Palestinians live in a backwards culture that persecuted homosexuals and has things such as honour killings (whether or not it's justified by Islam, I'm not sure). Giving them a state in their current mindset would only legitimise the nation of Islamic theocracy.

Spoiler

Original post by champ_mc99
I remember Hitchens saying something along those lines (bu not exactly blaming Israel).

You know Hitchens? Interesting. :curious:
Can you link where he said this?
On a scale of 1-10 how much do you miss me?
Original post by Blimey1000
So what. Everyone is accusing everyone else of war crimes. Why is the israel/palestine so special?

Certain international conflicts become a cause célèbre - just like the Bosnian War. Israel/Palestine is one of these conflicts, notable also for its length.
Original post by L'absurde

Can't you see why they would want their own (official) country after centuries of persecution?
From this I can only assume that you would be fine with a persecuted group taking your home and making it their own.
Original post by malebo55
From this I can only assume that you would be fine with a persecuted group taking your home and making it their own.

You've basically ignored all my other points, as expected. You assume that Jews just popped up yesterday, as if they haven't been living in the region for over 3000 years.
You assume that Jews just popped up yesterday, as if they haven't been living in the region for over 3000 years.

So if that persecuted group had lived in your house at some point in the past 3000 years then you would be okay with them taking your home, expelling you from the land, and making it their own?
Original post by AlexanderHam
Hot :smile:

Are you a guy or girl? Are you in the army as a professional soldier or are you doing your national service?

Girl. I used to live in the UK (hence having a TSR account) but have returned to Israel upon turning 18 for national service.

Original post by AlexanderHam
Leaving aside the military necessaity, do you think, though, that military conscription is almost as important as a social and political binding force for Israeli society, as it is for military purposes? Almost like because of Israel's history with the kibbutz, and because many of its people come from elsewhere to live in Israel, that having that shared experience of being in the army binds the Israeli people together. It's a kind of collective institution by all Israelis, for all Israelis.

Also given Israel's security situation, it means almost all citizens have at least some understanding of the defence of the country and a means to empathise with those who are called to serve during various conflicts

It underlines that the IDF is a people's army, a bit like the Nahal brigade. Do you see what I'm getting at or am I babbling?

IDF service is undoubtedly one of the cornerstones of Israeli society and serves to unite a significant proportion of the population, including Muslim Arabs and Christians. Due to us using proportional representation to elect governments, there has never been a majority government - but the opposing policies of different parties are all steadfast in maintaining the country's security and work together when it comes to the IDF.

It's worth mentioning that many Jews who move to Israel don't actually do military service because they're too old to be conscripted and have skills that would suit them for civilian work better. Because of this, I think it would be fair to say that although national service certainly helps to unify the country, particularly in young people (as seen in very low crime rates amongst ex-IDF), it is the shared Jewish identity that is the primary factor.

Original post by JoshDawg
Would you ever consider bringing your country back into Palestine's borders, or would you fear that their Gov would just move in and kill you all.

Dissolving Israel and creating a single Palestinian state would never ever work. Would very quickly become Holocaust 2 if the Palestinians, in their current mindset, were able to control a new government.

If you received an order that you knew would harm civilians what would you do ?

Also what do you think of Netanyahu ? I think he's a complete plonker who will lead half the world to war, especially with his anti-diplomacy pro-war "Iran is evil America we demand more money ! " kind of attitude.

If people were going to get hurt/killed because of not moving on the order, I would do it. There is an enormous emphasis in our training to avoid harming civilians at all cost, so the idea that we'd somehow get an order to attack civilians for fun is fantasy.

I think Netanyahu is an excellent PM who has successfully led the country through years of whining from our neighbours and ultimately changed them from hating us to working with us. He's also been PM for 10 years collectively and Israel has only became more friendly with other countries, not exactly WW3. You should be much more worried about Hillary/Trump!

Original post by champ_mc99
Oh right. So is that part of the theology sort of phased out/ignored (for now/left to the far distant future)?

Judaism says that Jews should only be able to build upon Temple Mount upon the coming of the Messiah. This is comparable to Islam (17:100-104)) saying that Allah promised the Jews the land of Israel in the end of days. So in the religion, it is supposed to happen one day - but is highly unlikely to happen in the near future.

While I am no fan of Israeli policies, this is no longer an option.
Bilateral talks must be held, and ample pressure put on Israel by countries like the US and the UK to stop land settlements, occupation of Golan Heights, Shebaa farms etc.

Ironically, there will be massively more progress in a two state solution if Trump wins the election. He's certainly more open to it than Hillary ever has and will be!

------

Will do page 4 in a few hours
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
On a scale of 1-10 how much do you miss me?

She loves me more. :colonhash:
Original post by malebo55
So if that persecuted group had lived in your house at some point in the past 3000 years then you would be okay with them taking your home, expelling you from the land, and making it their own?

If I was a bumbling idiot who couldn't take care of my own home and imposed all sorts of ridiculous rules on people living in it, and there were some people living in my basement (for over 3000 years) who could run it better, then sure by all means kick me out and take over. :h:

Not surprisingly you haven't addressed the polls, I guess it goes against the narrative.
(edited 7 years ago)
If I was a bumbling idiot who couldn't take care of my own home and imposed all sorts ridiculous of rules on people living in it, and there were some people living in my basement (for over 3000 years) who could run it better, then sure by all means kick me out and take over.

Your analogy is flawed, but sufficient to show the lengths you have to go to justify Israel's creation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending