The Student Room Group

Theology Applicants 2017

There doesn't seem to be a thread for us this year... So I'm starting this one.
To start off, say:
1. Where you're applying: (Cambridge, St Andrews, Durham, KCL, Nottingham for me)
2. What your GCSEs are: (5 A* 4 A 3 B - not great at all)
3. Your AS/internal exam results: (3 A's)
4. Your predicted grades (haven't got mine yet)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello! Applying to Cambridge and St. Andrews. Not sure about my other options - will probably go for the likes of Exeter, Edinburgh and possibly Durham/Nottingham. St. Andrews is my fav. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Hariex
Hello! Applying to Cambridge and St. Andrews. Not sure about my other options - will probably go for the likes of Exeter, Edinburgh and possibly Durham/Nottingham. St. Andrews is my fav. :smile:

Which Cam college? And my fave is St Andrews too...even more so than Cam. The flexibility of the course is great, and the town looks gorgeous. I'm going to the open day soon so hopefully it'll live up to what I expect it to be:colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by bigmandave
Which Cam college? And my fave is St Andrews too...even more so than Cam. The flexibility of the course is great, and the town looks gorgeous. I'm going to the open day soon so hopefully it'll live up to what I expect it to be:colondollar:

Yeah I completely see where you are coming from. The actual department building in St. Andrews is a lot nicer too - the Cam one is quite modern which isn't a bad thing just not my taste. Also something about the small town, the coast, Scotland... :u:

Anyway I'll try for St. John's What about you? How is your personal statement going?
Reply 4
Original post by Hariex
Yeah I completely see where you are coming from. The actual department building in St. Andrews is a lot nicer too - the Cam one is quite modern which isn't a bad thing just not my taste. Also something about the small town, the coast, Scotland... :u:

Anyway I'll try for St. John's What about you? How is your personal statement going?

My personal statement is very much a working progress at the moment - I have rewritten it many times, I'm only half-way through my current copy. I've left it a little too last minute, but it's doable I suppose. How about you?

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing at A Level and what're your predictions? :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm kinda torn between John's and Sidney Sussex actually. They appeal to me in very different ways, but I'm worried my grades won't be strong enough for John's as I'd imagine, being one of the larger colleges, that it's pretty oversubscribed. I've also heard sketchy things about it being a bit 'rah' - this doesn't bother me massively, but Sidney just seems a little quieter, more chilled out.

My personal statement is very much a working progress at the moment - I have rewritten it many times, I'm only half-way through my current copy. I've left it a little too last minute, but it's doable I suppose. How about you?

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing at A Level and what're your predictions? :tongue:

Ah that's better than me, I've only written the first sentence. That should give you some encouragement. :tongue:

So for AS I took Maths, Further Maths, Philosophy and Ethics and Sociology (AAAA) but low As in Maths and Philosophy and Ethics. I'm dropping Further Maths this year. Don't know predictions but they should be alright, providing I work the charm a bit.
Hi! I'm intending to apply to Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrews, Exeter and Bristol.:h:
Reply 7
Original post by gingerboyben
Hi! I'm intending to apply to Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrews, Exeter and Bristol.:h:

Really similar choices to me! Haven't looked at Exeter yet though. What subjects do ya take? Also which Cam college? :biggrin:
Really similar choices to me! Haven't looked at Exeter yet though. What subjects do ya take? Also which Cam college? :biggrin:

I do Philosophy & ethics, Classical Civilization and teach myself Politics.

What about you?

I'm going for Selwyn, because its close to the faculty and it won't be swamped by tourists hehe :tongue:
Reply 9
I do Philosophy & ethics, Classical Civilization and teach myself Politics.

What about you?

I'm going for Selwyn, because its close to the faculty and it won't be swamped by tourists hehe :tongue:

I do English Lit, History and RS. Any idea what ur predictions are yet? All of my friends outside school seem to know already but maybe my school is just behind..:s-smilie:
I do English Lit, History and RS. Any idea what ur predictions are yet? All of my friends outside school seem to know already but maybe my school is just behind..:s-smilie:

I know 2/3 of them at the moment -2A*, just waiting for the Classics department to let me know.

Do you know how your school does their predictions?
Reply 11
I know 2/3 of them at the moment -2A*, just waiting for the Classics department to let me know.

Do you know how your school does their predictions?

They do it based on your ALPS which is a bit silly and your internal exams, wbu
They do it based on your ALPS which is a bit silly and your internal exams, wbu

I'm lucky in that my school bases it primarily off AS performance (UMS)
Reply 13
I'm lucky in that my school bases it primarily off AS performance (UMS)

Ah thats so good! How did you do in terms of UMS?
Ah thats so good! How did you do in terms of UMS?

For RS and Politics I got 190/200 and 183/200 for Classics what about you? :hat2:
Reply 15
For RS and Politics I got 190/200 and 183/200 for Classics what about you? :hat2:

That's incredible! Well done! I haven't done so well... I got 3 A's but in Religious Studies one of my papers was a B and is currently being remarked
That's incredible! Well done! I haven't done so well... I got 3 A's but in Religious Studies one of my papers was a B and is currently being remarked

Thanks and best of luck with your remark :tongue:

How's your personal statement going etc?
Reply 17
Thanks and best of luck with your remark :tongue:

How's your personal statement going etc?

Thanks! I've got no personal statement at the moment... I'm back to square one now after all those drafts! :s-smilie:
How about you?
Reply 18
Where are all the TSR theologians????:frown: this year it's just the 3 of us...
Reply 19
Hi! Applying to Durham, KCL, Exeter, Edinburgh & Leeds. My AS grades were AAB (200/200 UMS in RS), predicted A*AA at A2. How competitive are theology courses in general? I'm currently under the impression it's a relatively 'rare' course, with few people applying. Is this the case? Literally over here stressing out about getting offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending