The Student Room Group

The "Is this university/course good enough for banking/consultancy?" thread [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Although I realise these threads tend to be skewed towards IB rather than consulting, I was wondering whether anybody knows whether it's possible to get an internship at McKinseys or another high calibre consultancy if I go to Warwick? (Doing compsci)
Original post by daniel cripps
Although I realise these threads tend to be skewed towards IB rather than consulting, I was wondering whether anybody knows whether it's possible to get an internship at McKinseys or another high calibre consultancy if I go to Warwick? (Doing compsci)

It is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by daniel cripps

It is possible since other Warwick students have done it before. However, the big strategy consultants like McKinsey prefer Oxbridge candidates and, to a lesser extent, LSE and Imperial graduates. However, you will stand a chance as a Warwick student if you build up experience and get involved in extracurricular and maybe network with employees at places like McKinsey.

You may correct me if I am wrong Princepieman but Warwick is a top feeder for McKinsey and even have campus recruiting :http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/students/undergraduate-degree-candidates/university-of-warwick
Original post by acontium
You may correct me if I am wrong Princepieman but Warwick is a top feeder for McKinsey and even have campus recruiting :http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/students/undergraduate-degree-candidates/university-of-warwick

Not a 'top feeder', that would go to Oxbridge/imperial/LSE, but definitely gets attention from all three consulting firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Trapz99

If you ask one of these aforementioned questions, I will egg your house/apartment.

So is UCL good :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
Original post by soLit

Mate do you want your house egged?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Princepieman
Mate do you want your house egged?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plot twist, I am an egg.
Reply 28
Original post by soLit

I ran out of eggs you're lucky
I know you probably won't like this question, but is there a full list of semi-target and target universities as the OP says there are a few others. I also have a question, would going to the University of Surrey limit my chances? For AS I only got BBCD, could I still turn it around and get into IB in the future? If the questions are stupid, I'm sorry as I have very little knowledge on the matter. Thanks.
Original post by ImGoingToFail12
I know you probably won't like this question, but is there a full list of semi-target and target universities as the OP says there are a few others. I also have a question, would going to the University of Surrey limit my chances? For AS I only got BBCD, could I still turn it around and get into IB in the future? If the questions are stupid, I'm sorry as I have very little knowledge on the matter. Thanks.

There's an FAQ thread. And yes you can, just work your butt off to increase your grades whilst you still can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's an FAQ thread. And yes you can, just work your butt off to increase your grades whilst you still can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks mate, I didn't see that, but I'll head over and have a look now. I think putting in some work I'll be able to manage AAB.
KCL are starting a BSC Econ in 2017 in aware they're ranked low for econ atm but do you think this would increase and be useful to pursue a career in IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophie31289
KCL are starting a BSC Econ in 2017 in aware they're ranked low for econ atm but do you think this would increase and be useful to pursue a career in IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile

KCL is a semi-target, that's all the relevant info you really need. The course will neither make you more competitive nor prepare you more than any other course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Birmingham or nottingham for IB and why
Also with 5A*s at gcse 3as 1b and 4as at AS where shud i bellooking to apply where I have a decent choice for their economics or maths and economics degrees where i have a good chance of getting in and also a voo7good chance of IB
Original post by youreanutter
Birmingham or nottingham for IB and why

Nottingham, covered in the FAQ why.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by youreanutter
Also with 5A*s at gcse 3as 1b and 4as at AS where shud i bellooking to apply where I have a decent choice for their economics or maths and economics degrees where i have a good chance of getting in and also a voo7good chance of IB

Depends on your ps. Spread out your risk
Pick 2 or 3 'top tier unis' - oxbridge, ucl lse warwick
1 or 2 mid tier like notts bristol or bath
1 or 2 low tier/easier to get into like manchester or leeds

Depends on your predicted grades too and whether you do maths or FM at a level
Having said that you stand an excellent chance at some very good universities provided you have a good PS and extea curriculurs. Be wise. The world may or may not be your oyster
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
KCL is a semi-target, that's all the relevant info you really need. The course will neither make you more competitive nor prepare you more than any other course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see you saying this in every post. I don't understand how people haven't got it yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending