The Student Room Group

Is it possible for beautiful people to be poor?

beauty/attractiveness opens more doors right? Or is it a vicious circle?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No not really. I haven't met many beautiful people who are poor.
Original post by kristen2
Beauty/attractiveness opens more doors right?

Poor is an arbitrary concept but many of the girls who thought they were too nice in my school and whom were chased after by boys are now working in Asda etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Many people consider Russian's, Latino's and asian women to be more beautiful than western white women yet the countries they hail from are quite poor
Reply 4
Music was better when they let ugly people sing
Reply 5
Yes it is perfectly possible, just like it is possible for stereotypically 'unattractive' people to be rich.
Reply 6
I've seen quite a few handsome homeless guys, but far more that are unattractive. That's just the way life is; the more attractive you are the more successful you will be.
Well I'm not exactly rich :colondollar:

Seriously though, what has money got to do with genetically inherited "attractiveness"
Original post by Akamega
I've seen quite a few handsome homeless guys, but far more that are unattractive. That's just the way life is; the more attractive you are the more successful you will be.

That's more because they're likely to be unclean and unable to shave and eat properly etc.

Give them a shower, a shave and a consistent diet and I'm sure a lot would be.
Original post by Elastichedgehog

Seriously though, what has money got to do with genetically inherited "attractiveness"

You can pay for plastic surgery I suppose.
Yes it is possible.
Original post by JamesN88
You can pay for plastic surgery I suppose.

True, that may mean less poor people are attractive due to the inability to buy "fashionable" clothes, pay for cosmetic plastic surgery etc. on average but it's certainly not impossible?

Tbh it depends.
But clothing, hair styles, dyes does a lot
True, that may mean less poor people are attractive due to the inability to buy "fashionable" clothes, pay for cosmetic plastic surgery etc. on average but it's certainly not impossible?

Deep. They were pretty before though
image.png
Original post by loveleest
Tbh it depends.
But clothing, hair styles, dyes does a lot

I agree, hence my other comment :h:

Original post by saraxh
Deep. They were pretty before though
image.png

They were :cute:
Reply 15
I think you have the cause and effect the wrong way round. It's not that good looking people are well off, but being well off makes you good looking.

You can afford a gym membership, perhaps personal trainer, designer well fitted clothes, nice haircuts etc.

Without this to be good looking you just need to be genetically lucky and be a natural beauty.

Traits that are associated with beauty such as systematical facial features are correlated with intelligence and outgoing personalities and, therefore, income. Humans have evolved to find people attractive or unattractive for a reason.

Also, people with money can have there pick of partners and often go for attractive partners meaning rich people are more likely to produce attractive offspring.
Reply 17
uh yeah obviously!

there are plenty of naturally beautiful people living in third-world countries
Well I'm broke so yes it is........
Reply 19
Original post by Sternumator
Traits that are associated with beauty such as systematical facial features are correlated with intelligence and outgoing personalities and, therefore, income. Humans have evolved to find people attractive or unattractive for a reason.

Also, people with money can have there pick of partners and often go for attractive partners meaning rich people are more likely to produce attractive offspring.

If you look at some of the richest (and arguably some of the smartest) people in the world, none of this applies. I'm not saying these people are ugly, but for instance Bill and Melinda Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan, Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos, Larry Page and Lucinda Southworth; none of the people are exactly stunners, nor have they chosen stunners for their partners. In fact many would be best described as slightly peculiar looking (not necessarily in a bad way) but with wonky smiles, possibly slightly "unbalanced" looking faces etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending