The Student Room Group

18 and 32 weeks pregnant. AMA..

Scroll to see replies

Do you regret anything?
Original post by SeanFM
Is it like carrying around a weight? What does it feel like? :K:

Ever wore a heavy backpack the wrong way round? Feels very similar to that
Original post by JRKinder
How do you feel knowing that, without a degree to get a high-paying job, you may struggle to fully support your child?

(I'm not trying to attack your choice, because it is your choice at the end of the day, but I just can't help but feel that the child is going to suffer because you had it so young. I mean, you're barely old enough to support yourself, and now a child? How are you going to buy them things? How are you going to bring in money for food and rent, and care for it at the same time? I just think your decision is a bit naive, that's all).

On a slightly lighter note, what do you plan to name him/her? :biggrin:

My family comes from a working class background. My mother was 21 when I was born, my father 19. On top of that my mother and father got divorced when I was about 7. My mother also suffers from clinical depression.

Both my parents remarried, with my father giving remarkably little to me, although my relationship with him is fine. I was given everything I wanted throughout my childhood and was never disadvantaged because my parents worked hard to make it so. I'm going to Sheffield to study BSc Psychology in a week.

This kind of thinking is backward and only exists because the media and common consensus tells you should think like this. The mother will be fine. Stop trying to scare her :h: The child will grow up just fine as long as it has parents who care about them.
Original post by sfaraj
How did ur parents react?

My mum was upset at first but she was supportive when I told her my plans. My dad was fuming and told me to get out his sight so I stayed away for 3 weeks
Original post by Anonymous
How old is the father?

He'll be 20 next month
Original post by ChrisD0
Congrats! Now are you going to assume responsibility for your actions and raise the child well; sacrificing much of your time and energy during the next 18 years into doing so? Is the father ready to do the same?

I will try my best & he'll be right by my side, so yes :smile:
Original post by L'absurde
:facepalm:

So what are you going to do after you give birth? Go to uni...work...?

I plan to go to university eventually yeah, and my boyfriend works full time
Original post by Elastichedgehog
Stupid comment. Not everyone has the same plans for their life as you do. Even if this was an accident it's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure the baby will have a loving family and grow up just fine, especially since she's expressed she has a good support system.

I didn't know she had a good support system, she told me so after I asked the question. Teen pregnancy isn't best thing (understatement of the year)...Having a child is a big commitment in general, and teens aren't the best equipped for those challenges.

Spoiler

Sorry I didn't word it more nicely. :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
what are you naming the child? Congrats btw.
I will try my best & he'll be right by my side, so yes :smile:

That's very commendable, many would have taken the easy way out. I wish you the way of luck. And please don't smoke or drink during the pregnancy (in general as well!).
Title

Congrats for keeping the baby :smile:

Not really a question I know but still
Original post by L'absurde
I didn't know she had a good support system, she told me so after I asked the question. Teen pregnancy isn't best thing (understatement of the year)...Having a child is a big commitment in general, and teens aren't the best equipped for those challenges.

Spoiler

Sorry I didn't word it more nicely. :h:

I understand :h: I'm just quite opinionated about this I suppose.

I certainly agree that it's not an ideal situation to be in, I'm 18 and the last thing I want is to be responsible for a child, although that's because I have bigger plans for myself and my future, and I'm certainly not ready to even consider thinking about a child.

I just think people in this situation should be supported, not scorned :smile:
How do you feel knowing that, without a degree to get a high-paying job, you may struggle to fully support your child?

(I'm not trying to attack your choice, because it is your choice at the end of the day, but I just can't help but feel that the child is going to suffer because you had it so young. I mean, you're barely old enough to support yourself, and now a child? How are you going to buy them things? How are you going to bring in money for food and rent, and care for it at the same time? I just think your decision is a bit naive, that's all).

My mum and Dad have said that as long as I continue with education, they'll help to support me until I'm able to do it by myself, which I'm very appreciative of. My boyfriend opened a savings account when we found out about the baby and half of his pay has been going in there each month.
I know that it's not much and I may struggle, but I'm more than willing. I initially had a termination booked, but I couldn't go through with it
Title

If this is genuine, don't do this to yourself. There's going to be ***** on here....
Original post by homeland.lsw
Do you regret anything?

I don't regret falling pregnant, but I do regret the timing.
so we thought that him pulling out was working.

You got pregnant from precum?
Original post by Elastichedgehog
I understand :h: I'm just quite opinionated about this I suppose.

I certainly agree that it's not an ideal situation to be in, I'm 18 and the last thing I want is to be responsible for a child, although that's because I have bigger plans for myself and my future, and I'm certainly not ready to even consider thinking about a child.

I just think people in this situation should be supported, not scorned :smile:

Agreed.

What's done is done.
I don't regret falling pregnant, but I do regret the timing.

That's fair. I hope everything works out for you and the baby x

Sorry, didn't see the last part. I dont know the sex because we wanted to keep it a surprise but for a boy we've picked Jonah and for a girl, Isabella
Are you proud of yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest