I say it like 'sc-own'/rhyme with cone
Original post by Conceited
There's only one way to go...

Rhyming with 'gone'.

The other way is just wrong.

same
Original post by Glib
I rhyme it with 'cone'

Rhyming with cone is common - it is gone as in the scone is gone.
I rhyme it with 'gone'.

For me, people rhyming it with 'own' is like when people pronounce 'book' in the same way as 'tooth'. It seems wrong and it elongates the word too much for my liking.
You don't :colone:

Spoiler

You are obviously not interested in the Coronation Stone, Stone of Destiny, the Stone of Scone, in which it is pronounced skoon.
I pronounce it as 'scon' (i.e. rhymes with con)
Reply 9
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/scone

Usage

There are two possible pronunciations of the word scone: the first rhymes with gone and the second rhymes with tone. In US English the pronunciation rhyming with tone is more common. In British English the two pronunciations traditionally have different regional and class associations, with the first pronunciation associated with the north of England and the northern working class, while the second is associated with the south and the middle class.

etymology:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=scone
(edited 7 years ago)
With 'cone'. That's the right way. :wink:
Scone like tone.
scone like con...:erm:
I don't like them and don't buy them so never say the word. I reckon the last time I said it would have been 10 years ago and that was probably only to have this debate.

However, if I were to say it, it would be scon.
I say scone like cone
But I read somewhere that queen says it the other way.
I don't really think it matters; so I'll have mine with clotted cream Thanks!!
It's supposed to rhyme with gone. Anyone who says otherwise is a word that rhymes with hunt.
Reply 16
wtf is a scon... the e is there for a reason :colonhash:
Wow, TSR is posher than I thought
Usually when a vowel is followed by constant then again by a vowel the initial vowel is pronounced as the capital of it. Therefore I don't pronounce it as s-c-o-n but s-c-oh-n:smile: :smile:
like Skåne in Sweden.

Quick Reply

Latest