The Student Room Group

partial fractions

for 1/(1+x^3),

I've got to = A/(x+1) + B/(x^2 -x+1)

But the values of A and B are different depending on x. So they must include an x term? Where do I go from here?
You need to have a polynomial term on top of the fraction which is 1 order lower than the denominator
EDIT: this is good for most, repeated denominator terms are different though
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
It should be 11+x3=1(x+1)(x2x+1)=Ax+1+Bx+Cx2x+1\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+x^3} = \frac{1}{(x+1)(x^2 - x + 1)} = \frac{A}{x+1} + \frac{Bx + C}{x^2 - x + 1}

If your partal fraction term has polynomial of degree n in the denominator, then the numerator should be of degree n-1. Which is why linear term at the bottom => constant term on top. Quadratic in bottom (like x^2 - x +1) => linear term on top.
Reply 3
Aha thank you both! I'll give it another go :biggrin:
Reply 4
is this still the case if the denominator is (ax+b)^2 ?
Reply 5
No, if the denominator is (ax+b)2(ax+b)^2 then you do 1(ax+b)2=Aax+b+B(ax+b)2\frac{1}{(ax+b)^2} = \frac{A}{ax+b} + \frac{B}{(ax+b)^2}.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/PartialFractions.aspx - read this.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
No, if the denominator is (ax+b)2(ax+b)^2 then you do 1(ax+b)2=Aax+b+B(ax+b)2\frac{1}{(ax+b)^2} = \frac{A}{ax+b} + \frac{B}{(ax+b)^2}.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/PartialFractions.aspx - read this.

Thank you
It becomes more complicated. If I had 1/(ax+b)(cx+d)^2 this would be split into A/(ax+b) + B/(cx+d) + (Cx+D)/(cx+d)^2
Reply 8
Original post by EwanWest
It becomes more complicated. If I had 1/(ax+b)(cx+d)^2 this would be split into A/(ax+b) + B/(cx+d) + (Cx+D)/(cx+d)^2

But @Zacken just said this would be C/(cx+d)^2 ??
Yes he's correct, I haven't done these in a while. Having said that if you have the extra term in there like I do it will just come out as 0 when you compare coefficients so it won't give you the wrong answer
Reply 10
That's correct.

Quick Reply

Latest