The Student Room Group

Find the roots of: 4-x^2=0, how do I rearrange that to make it easier to factorise?

I can find the root of something in the standard format like x^2 + 3x = 0 by factorising it to get (x+1)(x+2)=0, and then getting the roots that way, giving the answers of x= -1 and x= -2.

How can I rearrange: 4 - x^2 = 0 into that format so that I can factorise it in the same way as I did before in order to find the roots?
Can you walk me through the steps of rearranging and solving this one please?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by blobbybill
I can find the root of something in the standard format like x^2 + 3x = 0 by factorising it to get (x+1)(x+2)=0, and then getting the roots that way, giving the answers of x= -1 and x= -2.

How can I rearrange: 4 - x^2 = 0 into that format so that I can factorise it in the same way as I did before in order to find the roots?
Can you walk me through the steps of rearranging and solving this one please?

Thanks

You should know the difference of squares: (a+b)(ab)=a2b2(a+b)(a-b) = a^2 - b^2. In this case, you have 22x22^2 - x^2 , so what does that factorise as? hint: a=2,b=xa=2, b=x.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
You should know the difference of squares: (a+b)(ab)=a2b2(a+b)(a-b) = a^2 - b^2. In this case, you have 22x22^2 - x^2 , so what does that factorise as? hint: a=2,b=xa=2, b=x.

It factorises as (a+b)(a-b), so (2+x)(2-x)=0? But I don't have a value for x in this question, so i don't know how I would go about factorising it and then solving the roots.

I think, that it is like this: (2+x)(2-x)=0, so either (2+x)=0 or (2-x). If that is right, I don't know how you would proceed onwards from this point. Thanks
Reply 3
It factorises as (a+b)(a-b), so (2+x)(2-x)=0? But I don't have a value for x in this question, so i don't know how I would go about factorising it and then solving the roots.

I think, that it is like this: (2+x)(2-x)=0, so either (2+x)=0 or (2-x). If that is right, I don't know how you would proceed onwards from this point. Thanks

If x+2=0, what does x equal?
If x-2=0, what does x equal?
Reply 4
Original post by B_9710
If x+2=0, what does x equal?
If x-2=0, what does x equal?

x+2=0, so x=-2
x-2=0, so x=+2

So, the roots (and solutions) are either x=+2 or x=-2?

Thanks so much!
Reply 5
x+2=0, so x=-2
x-2=0, so x=+2

Thanks so much!

Yes that's correct.
Reply 6
x+2=0, so x=-2
x-2=0, so x=+2

Thanks so much!

Yep. This follows from the property of the reals that if ab=0ab= 0 then a=0a = 0 or b=0b=0.
Reply 7
x+2=0, so x=-2
x-2=0, so x=+2

Thanks so much!

If you are unfamiliar with the difference of two squares, you could just rearrange to find x.

4 - = 0
add to both sides to get
= 4
and then square root making sure you include both the positive and negative solution.

Quick Reply

Latest