The Student Room Group

Would you do it for £5000?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Man's Too Buff
This medical institution are offering me 5000 pounds if I take part in a experiment but I might be putting my body at risk as they will be injecting a virus in to my system that will cause me to become seriously ill.

It's part of en experiment to see how long it can take for my body to recover from the virus. They say it has no serious side effects, but apparently it might stay in my system for up to 5 months.

So I don't know, my family is saying I might die.

But would you do it?

Do you need the £5000? Is there anything you need to buy urgently? If not, then don't take the offer. :no:

You're more likely to regret if something terrible happens to you than missing out on the 5000.
You say that like 5k is nothing.

So you think risking your life for 5k is enough? Oh.
Oh I am really sorry to hear that. I wish you all the best of luck and hope everything goes well for you.

And okay, let me know when you feel you might be able to consider it.
Original post by Terrobility
Everything has a risk element attached to it. Of course there's a risk of dying with nearly everything we do nowadays. Bear in mind, it's highly occasional that you will end up dying however the risk is still there. The stories that come up in the papers about a trial like this going wrong only happen once in a blue moon since they don't highlight every single successful trial. £5,000 is a lot of money. Personally, I would do it but since it's your body and your decision, you should have the final say.

Oh right, so there have been stories of people dying from these trials?

I didn't think it was true initially.

I was going to do it, but I think I might have to consider it.
Oh right, so there have been stories of people dying from these trials?

I didn't think it was true initially.

I was going to do it, but I think I might have to consider it.

Bear in mind that a clinical trial has multiple phases to it. This includes screening it for safety. Out of all the tens of thousands of people performing a trial, it's extremely rare to see people dying from them. The worst likely thing is that you end up becoming a bit ill. Even if you do, you'll be in a safe environment and you'll be taken care of. Maybe you could end up being given a placebo and making an easy 5 grand.
wait 5k for a experiment which a hospital will partake in? a government owned hospital will not put you at that sort of risk
It's not worth 5k from a purely logical reason to it.

Under the assumption that you become seriously ill for 5 months, in those 5 months you cannot make additional income or perform 100%. You could easily earn more than 5k pulling 40hrs in 5 months and maybe overtime if you want to. The cost opportunity is therefore greater than 5k and so it is not worth it.
Original post by honour
Do you need the £5000? Is there anything you need to buy urgently? If not, then don't take the offer. :no:

You're more likely to regret if something terrible happens to you than missing out on the 5000.

Well I don't need the money urgently but it could come in handy for Uni in the future.

And yeah I have thought of what could happen, but it's in a hospital so I should be okay I guess.
This medical institution are offering me 5000 pounds if I take part in a experiment but I might be putting my body at risk as they will be injecting a virus in to my system that will cause me to become seriously ill.

It's part of en experiment to see how long it can take for my body to recover from the virus. They say it has no serious side effects, but apparently it might stay in my system for up to 5 months.

So I don't know, my family is saying I might die.

But would you do it?

Would you mind me asking where you got this offer from? Personally I'd go for it but then again I'm known to be very optimistic :P
Nup. Ain't worth the risk, and what are you gonna use that money for, that it might equate to the risk of dying? I'm sure there are much better ways of earning £5000, anyway!
where do I sign up?
Original post by EvilEarth567
Would you mind me asking where you got this offer from? Personally I'd go for it but then again I'm known to be very optimistic :P

Yeah sure, I can PM all the details if you want?

Just make sure you e-mail them that you would like to participate and be healthy not suffering for asthma and a non-smoker , and they should reply swiftly.
Yeah sure, I can PM all the details if you want?

Just make sure you e-mail them that you would like to participate and be healthy not suffering for asthma and a non-smoker , and they should reply swiftly.

Oh okay thanks that would be great :biggrin:!
Oh okay thanks that would be great :biggrin:!

Where do you live?
Where do you live?

I'm from Bristol. Would I be able to participate in the scheme?

Not sure, depends if you would be willing to travel to a Hospital in Central London called St Marys?
Not sure, depends if you would be willing to travel to a Hospital in Central London called St Marys?

Oh right not for me then :P. Thanks anyway :smile:

If not, I am sure they have hospital in Bristol that will take you on.
Reply 38
nah. there isn't enough money in the world thats going to tempt me into messing with my body and health

read about past experiments that went wrong. no idea what his name was because this happened like more than 10 years ago but i heard about a group of guys who signed up to be human guinea pigs and it went wrong, one of the guys wife said she couldn't recognise him in hospital because he looked like the elephant man
If it has no serious effects, then yes, I need some extra money for my driving lessons

Quick Reply