The Student Room Group

application advice - Law in 2017

Hi guys, I am very thankful if you could offer some advice!
I got BBBB as my AS grade, hopefully I can get AAAA or AAAB as my predicted grade.
I know that my grade is not ideal at all as law is a competitive major. What law schools should I consider as realistic choices?
Reply 1
I would also like to apply for Law for 2017 entry. With AAA predictions, places like Kent, Liverpool, Sussex, Sheffield and East Anglia are an option. Leeds might also be an option.

I don't want to intrude, but are you sure that you want to do four A Levels? Unless one of them is General Studies/ Critical Thinking, you might want to consider doing three.

And BBBB is good at AS!

Good luck. :smile:
Original post by Hellomaomao
I got BBBB as my AS grade, hopefully I can get AAAA or AAAB as my predicted grade.
I know that my grade is not ideal at all as law is a competitive major. What law schools should I consider as realistic choices?

I got pretty much the same AS results as you. There's many universities you can apply to: Manchester, Exeter, Birmingham, Sheffield, Liverpool, York, Newcastle and many more. You just have to research the universities you want to go to and check their entry requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ett11
I would also like to apply for Law for 2017 entry. With AAA predictions, places like Kent, Liverpool, Sussex, Sheffield and East Anglia are an option. Leeds might also be an option.

I don't want to intrude, but are you sure that you want to do four A Levels? Unless one of them is General Studies/ Critical Thinking, you might want to consider doing three.

And BBBB is good at AS!

Good luck. :smile:

Thank you for your answer!
Yeah I will only do three subjects, and drop the one I got lowest grade.
Do you think it is possible to reach schools like Birmingham and Newcastle, which are in Russel Group with AAA predictions?
I checked their websites, and their typical offer is AAA.
Reply 4
Original post by Lostrider
I got pretty much the same AS results as you. There's many universities you can apply to: Manchester, Exeter, Birmingham, Sheffield, Liverpool, York, Newcastle and many more. You just have to research the universities you want to go to and check their entry requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile

h
Thank you very mcuh!!:smile:
I have checked the school website of Manchester, Brimingham, Sheffield, York, Newcastle and so on.... basically, schools in Russel Group require AAA as an typical offer.
However, more people tend to choose schools whose entry requirements are lower than their predicted grades. So I don't know if it's a good idea to go for an AAA school with AAA predicions, especially for law, this kind of competitive major.
Reply 5
Thank you for your answer!
Yeah I will only do three subjects, and drop the one I got lowest grade.
Do you think it is possible to reach schools like Birmingham and Newcastle, which are in Russel Group with AAA predictions?
I checked their websites, and their typical offer is AAA.

If you have a good personal statement and reference, you should be able to get offers from AAA places. We can only hope that they ask for what they want. Since you have five choices, I would recommend maybe 3-4 AAA places and 1-2 ABB for a backup, but it's your choice.
Reply 6
Original post by ett11
If you have a good personal statement and reference, you should be able to get offers from AAA places. We can only hope that they ask for what they want. Since you have five choices, I would recommend maybe 3-4 AAA places and 1-2 ABB for a backup, but it's your choice.

Thank you very much!
I am an international student and don't know too much about how things work here.Throughout my year 12, I have been getting As in law and maths, and this time i just need 1 or 2 marks to reach an A in those two subjects, I think I will argue with my teachers and hope they can at least give me one A*, so I can also be more confident and apply for law!

GOOD LUCK to you as well!
h
Thank you very mcuh!!:smile:
I have checked the school website of Manchester, Brimingham, Sheffield, York, Newcastle and so on.... basically, schools in Russel Group require AAA as an typical offer.
However, more people tend to choose schools whose entry requirements are lower than their predicted grades. So I don't know if it's a good idea to go for an AAA school with AAA predicions, especially for law, this kind of competitive major.

I had two low B's and a low A for my AS, got predicted AAA, and I applied to two AAA, one AAB and one ABB universities and got accepted into all. If your personal statement is good and you have reasonable GCSE's and references then you will also be accepted to AAA universities.

Plus to give you more hope, I applied to Manchester uni who ask for an A in gcse English language, I only had a B and they still accepted!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thank you very much!
I am an international student and don't know too much about how things work here.Throughout my year 12, I have been getting As in law and maths, and this time i just need 1 or 2 marks to reach an A in those two subjects, I think I will argue with my teachers and hope they can at least give me one A*, so I can also be more confident and apply for law!

GOOD LUCK to you as well!

Thanks!

If you are confident that you can get A*AA, it probably does help to have an A* predicted. :smile:

Hi! I hope this will reassure you...I got ABCD in my AS levels and was told by a few teachers I should apply to unis with offers around BBB and lower. I went against this and decided to apply to uni's that typically offer AAA-AAB as this is where I wanted to go. In my A2 year I retook some AS exams alongside my A2 exams, and came out with AAB - I am now going to study law at Exeter and couldn't be happier...nothing is impossible and if you work hard it will pay off! There is no harm in applying to 1 or 2 universities with high entry requirements (as long as you have back ups) as if you have a strong personal statement you can definitely get an offer! If you have any more questions or need any help/advice with anything i'm happy to help :smile:
Original post by Lostrider
I had two low B's and a low A for my AS, got predicted AAA, and I applied to two AAA, one AAB and one ABB universities and got accepted into all. If your personal statement is good and you have reasonable GCSE's and references then you will also be accepted to AAA universities.

Plus to give you more hope, I applied to Manchester uni who ask for an A in gcse English language, I only had a B and they still accepted!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do Universities only see your predicted grades!!???
Original post by c146
Hi! I hope this will reassure you...I got ABCD in my AS levels and was told by a few teachers I should apply to unis with offers around BBB and lower. I went against this and decided to apply to uni's that typically offer AAA-AAB as this is where I wanted to go. In my A2 year I retook some AS exams alongside my A2 exams, and came out with AAB - I am now going to study law at Exeter and couldn't be happier...nothing is impossible and if you work hard it will pay off! There is no harm in applying to 1 or 2 universities with high entry requirements (as long as you have back ups) as if you have a strong personal statement you can definitely get an offer! If you have any more questions or need any help/advice with anything i'm happy to help :smile:

Hey! I'm doing the exact same thing as you, having to retake some AS exams this year. I am predicted ABB and am hoping to study Law at an AAA-AAB uni, i was just wondering if Universities see your AS grades or whether they just look at the predicted grades?? Fingers crossed I can achieve the grades needed!
Original post by Beckyyshields
Hey! I'm doing the exact same thing as you, having to retake some AS exams this year. I am predicted ABB and am hoping to study Law at an AAA-AAB uni, i was just wondering if Universities see your AS grades or whether they just look at the predicted grades?? Fingers crossed I can achieve the grades needed!

Hey! Unis will see your AS grades but i was told they focus more on your predicted grades as these will give them an idea of what your teachers think you will be able to achieve so don't worry! There is an option when completing your ucas application to put down which exams you are retaking (though i didn't do this as was told it doesn't really matter, but up to you if you want to!) i'm sure you'll get the grades you need!
Original post by c146
Hey! Unis will see your AS grades but i was told they focus more on your predicted grades as these will give them an idea of what your teachers think you will be able to achieve so don't worry! There is an option when completing your ucas application to put down which exams you are retaking (though i didn't do this as was told it doesn't really matter, but up to you if you want to!) i'm sure you'll get the grades you need!

Thank you so much! I'm going to apply to Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, Northumbria and Liverpool. I really hope I get an offer from Sheffield or Newcastle. I'm slightly worried that I won't get any offers though, if you get no offers but achieve good grades on results day e.g AAB could you call up the Uni and request a place on their Law course after them not giving you an offer??
Reply 14
At AS, I got an A in English, C in Politics and Distinction* in BTEC Applied Law (which I'm dropping) My predicted grades are BBB (I am doing Pre-U History which you don't take an AS exam for) I'm going to work my ass off this year to try to get AAB. Is there any hope that i could get accepted into AAB unis with just my predicted grades?
Thank you so much! I'm going to apply to Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, Northumbria and Liverpool. I really hope I get an offer from Sheffield or Newcastle. I'm slightly worried that I won't get any offers though, if you get no offers but achieve good grades on results day e.g AAB could you call up the Uni and request a place on their Law course after them not giving you an offer??

I'm sure you will get offers, especially if you have a strong personal statement! If you don't get offers, or if you do better on results day than you expected and have higher grades than your chosen uni you can either go through clearing or adjustment. Clearing is where you don't have any offers in which case you may be able to contact uni's and get a place there (i think something changes on your UCAS track and you can sort it through that as well)! Adjustment is where you exceed the entry requirements of your firm choice so may be able to get into a uni with higher requirements...it's all up to you and depends how you do on results day. Don't worry about it too much you still have ages to sort everything and even longer until you even take your exams!
Original post by c146
I'm sure you will get offers, especially if you have a strong personal statement! If you don't get offers, or if you do better on results day than you expected and have higher grades than your chosen uni you can either go through clearing or adjustment. Clearing is where you don't have any offers in which case you may be able to contact uni's and get a place there (i think something changes on your UCAS track and you can sort it through that as well)! Adjustment is where you exceed the entry requirements of your firm choice so may be able to get into a uni with higher requirements...it's all up to you and depends how you do on results day. Don't worry about it too much you still have ages to sort everything and even longer until you even take your exams!

Thank you your advice has been so helpful and reassuring! I think i'll aim to get my UCAS application submitted for October time so it's not a stressful rush! Thanks again!
Thank you your advice has been so helpful and reassuring! I think i'll aim to get my UCAS application submitted for October time so it's not a stressful rush! Thanks again!

no worries at all i'm glad I could help! Sounds like a great idea, good luck with it all:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest