The Student Room Group

Would you do it for £5000?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pinkberry_y
If it has no serious effects, then yes, I need some extra money for my driving lessons

Do you live in London?

Then you can participate.

But you must not smoke or suffer from asthma?
Original post by Allie4
nah. there isn't enough money in the world thats going to tempt me into messing with my body and health

read about past experiments that went wrong. no idea what his name was because this happened like more than 10 years ago but i heard about a group of guys who signed up to be human guinea pigs and it went wrong, one of the guys wife said she couldn't recognise him in hospital because he looked like the elephant man

Really? He ended up looking like Elephant man?
Think about it - 5k is less than half a years wages. If the virus can stay in your system for nearly half a year and you can't work i.e. get your wages, what's the point? Unless of course you don't work and have no education to complete.
Is it a Phase I trial?

Personally I wouldn't do it. While death is very rare, it's the long-term side-effects that would concern me and which aren't recorded, e.g. cancer. I don't like the idea that a drug I take now - while not lethal in the short-term - may end up causing me harm. That worry is not worth a few thousand pounds.
Original post by macromicro
Is it a Phase I trial?

Personally I wouldn't do it. While death is very rare, it's the long-term side-effects that would concern me and which aren't recorded, e.g. cancer. I don't like the idea that a drug I take now - while not lethal in the short-term - may end up causing me harm. That worry is not worth a few thousand pounds.

That's very true.
I may have to reconsider taking up the experiment now after reading your post.

It could cause me more harm than good, for a bit of money.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Think about it - 5k is less than half a years wages. If the virus can stay in your system for nearly half a year and you can't work i.e. get your wages, what's the point? Unless of course you don't work and have no education to complete.

I am a part time student and I work part time

But I get the 5k after staying in hospital for 20 days with close watch by doctors.But the virus could still be in my system for at least 5-6 months.

So you are right, it isn't worth it, but 5k for 20 days work doesn't sound so bad.
Original post by Man's Too Buff
I am a part time student and I work part time

But I get the 5k after staying in hospital for 20 days with close watch by doctors.But the virus could still be in my system for at least 5-6 months.

So you are right, it isn't worth it, but 5k for 20 days work doesn't sound so bad.

As I said though, potentially not being well for up to 6 months - not quite 20 days, is it?
Reply 47
If you don't do it, I will:biggrin:
This medical institution are offering me 5000 pounds if I take part in a experiment but I might be putting my body at risk as they will be injecting a virus in to my system that will cause me to become seriously ill.

It's part of en experiment to see how long it can take for my body to recover from the virus. They say it has no serious side effects, but apparently it might stay in my system for up to 5 months.

So I don't know, my family is saying I might die.

But would you do it?

No, Don't do it
Because you could lose your limbs as some people had that horrible experience
It's not worth the risk
Search on google for medical experiments or trials that went wrong
It was on the news years ago about a man losing his legs from doing it
Although that won't happen to everybody it's not worth the risk
Your better off signing up with Seeking Arrangement and asking a wealthy person to give you 5000 for doing nothing except accompanying them to restaurants and parties
5k is not enough, you can barely get through a year of uni with 5k, the fact that they think that your life is only worth 5K is just a joke really.

Spoiler

Lmao people saying 5k isn't worth not having optimal healthy yet would pay to ruin their health through drink or drug.

The hypocrisy here is unreal. At least the consequences with the trials are unknown, you know for sure every time you take substance its going to have ill consequence.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 51
Really? He ended up looking like Elephant man?

yeah
Yes, yes I'd do it.
Why can't these things happen to me?! 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scienceisgood
Yes, yes I'd do it.
Why can't these things happen to me?! 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can partake if you want.

They are still looking for candidates.

It's in St Mary's Hospital, I can send you the info?

Quick Reply

Latest