The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Maths - FP2 vs FP3

Our further maths teacher wants some thoughts from us on whether we want do FP2 or FP3 this year. Our teacher last year said that they do FP3 with their classes because all the differential equation stuff is useful various things at uni, and because it has fewer units in more detail. Is this true, from anyone's experience?
All about FP4 ;P

I much preferred FP3 over FP2 though and did better in it as well. Also if you do maths or physics at uni everything in FP2 and FP3 will be likely to come up again tbh. But differential equations are everywhere in physics.
Reply 2
Original post by I_Hate_Usernames
All about FP4 ;P

I much preferred FP3 over FP2 though and did better in it as well. Also if you do maths or physics at uni everything in FP2 and FP3 will be likely to come up again tbh. But differential equations are everywhere in physics.

Aha okay, thanks. I'm applying for physics so that might be good to bear in mind. We've asked about FP4 out of curiosity but they said it's really horrible and they don't want to teach it XD
Original post by TIF141
Aha okay, thanks. I'm applying for physics so that might be good to bear in mind. We've asked about FP4 out of curiosity but they said it's really horrible and they don't want to teach it XD

Which other modules are you doing then? I did M2, S2, FP2, FP3 and FP4 (the school made us do an extra one). I'm going in to my third year of a maths and physics joint honours degree and can't really remember the a level content that well but the stuff that will come up in physics:
FP2: polar coordinates - you'll use 3D ones for integration especially for stuff like electricity and magnetism
Complex numbers for waves and stuff

FP3: differential equations in mechanics and then PDEs which are a generalisation of ODEs in just about everything (waves, fluid flow, quantum mechanics etc)

FP4: vectors for some of the integration a few modules will use matrices, this is probably used the least bit will still come up.

Definitely do mechanics modules over stats/decision I probably should have done another M modules instead of S2
(edited 7 years ago)
Which other modules are you doing then? I did M2, S2, FP2, FP3 and FP4 (the school made us do an extra one). I'm going in to my third year of a maths and physics joint honours degree and can't really remember the a level content that well but the stuff that will come up in physics:
FP2: polar coordinates - you'll use 3D ones for integration especially for stuff like electricity and magnetism

FP3: differential equations in mechanics and then PDEs which are a generalisation of ODEs in just about everything (waves, fluid flow, quantum mechanics etc)

FP4: vectors for some of the integration a few modules will use matrices, this is probably used the least bit will still come up.

Definitely do mechanics modules over stats/decision I probably should have done another M modules instead of S2

I'm in a very similar position to the poster, i'd also like to apply for physics at uni. So would FP2 and FP3 be the most useful? I heard FP2 is awful, what was your experience like?
Also, this is to anyone that can help me: is there a lot of cross over with M3 and A level physics?
Reply 6
This year we'll be doing M2, S2, D2, plus an FP and the cores, with the possible option of doing M3 after school but idk if anyone's actually organised that properly... Unfortunately don't think we have much choice in the way of mechanics vs other :/

Quick Reply

Latest