The Student Room Group

If God exists, then who created HIM? HE DOESN'T EXIST!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by z33
what if God controlled the path evolution took?
God cannot be created or destroyed, just like energy can't be created or destroyed
cause and effect is a thing of the material world, as is time, and God isn't within it, the same laws don't apply to Him

WOW I never thought I'd have an epiphany through TSR.
The paradox becomes meaningless upon use of the phrase "they can't lift".
Original post by Pinkberry_y
He's got the whole world, in his hands, he's got the whole world in his hands

what a tune
Original post by ouatislifex
what a tune

It's a great throwback.
Reply 24
Original post by Ladymusiclover
WOW I never thought I'd have an epiphany through TSR.

o... :lol:
No one. That can easily be proven logically from the fact that if there wasn't a First Cause there would be an INFINITE REGRESS and nothing at all would come to existence. Just imagine the example of a Sniper, he's waiting to shoot his target but first he must ask someone above him in rank for permission, and when he asks they say the same thing - they need to ask someone else, if this continuous forever the Sniper will never get to shoot. But as you can see, our world is here, it began to exist, the chain ended somewhere.

The reason why you think that this is a good question is because everything around you has been created by God, and so you assume that He must have also began to exist because everything else has.
(edited 7 years ago)
This question is inherently flawed, asking about who created the creator of time space and matter.

God created time,space and matter at the exact time forming a continuum, so to ask who created God is inherently flawed because God exists outside of time space and matter, God isn't affected by all earthly variables, his creations are.

Asking for God's creators would also create an infinite amount of questions like who created the creators of God, and who created the creators of the creators of God, and so on.

So God creating time (meaning he is the beginning) answers this question.

Thank you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
The preferred Christian response is probably something like:

'the paradox assumes a wrong definition of omnipotence. Omnipotence, they say, does not mean that God can do anything at all but, rather, that he can do anything that's possible according to his nature. The distinction is important. God cannot perform logical absurdities; he cannot, for instance, make 1+1=3. Likewise, God cannot make a being greater than himself because he is, by definition, the greatest possible being. God is limited in his actions to his nature. The Bible supports this, they assert, in passages such as Hebrews 6:18, which says it is "impossible for God to lie."'

Just check out wikipedia for more:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipotence_paradox#Proposed_answers
(edited 7 years ago)
A nice counter to your point... Everything in this world is contingent, i.e dependent on one thing or the other. So for example humans and plants are dependent on food to stay alive. This means that at one point nothing existed if everything is contingent. Thus, begs the question how can something (contingent beings) come from nothing? This is a logical impossibility. Therefore, we can conclude that something non-contingent (not dependent on anything) caused us to exist. Apparently, this is God.

Btw I'm a atheist but I enjoy reading such arguments to prove God :wink:
Original post by Vividly clear
This question is inherently flawed, asking about who created the creator of time space and matter.

God created time,space and matter at the exact time forming a continuum, so to ask who created God is inherently flawed because God exists outside of time space and matter, God isn't affected by all earthly variables, his creations are.

Asking for God's creators would also create an infinite amount of questions like who created the creators of God, and who created the creators of the creators of God, so God creating time meaning he is the beginning answers this question.

Thank you :smile:

Wow this is an amazing explanation. :eek4:
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Wow this is an amazing explanation. :eek4:

Thanks. :colondollar:
Wow I'm really impressed by the high level responses. I feel like I should take a class in philosophy or theology. Sorry OP I still believe in God.
Theologians solved this so-called paradox centuries ago. Do keep up.

What's next? Can God create a married bachelor? Can God create a 4-sided triangle? Can God *insert gibberish here*?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Carthaginian
There's evidence for evolution, but there's no evidence for God.

Are you assuming God's gender??
No one said He/She can. Literally, not a single sophisticated theologian believes in such a God. You're attacking a strawman.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sakuraton
Are you assuming God's gender??

Haha, I'm joking. I think God = Matter which means God is us and every matter around us just because we existed (If that make sense) So yeah, urm just a different perspective here. Matter that just happened to exist which I think, is a miracle itself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Theologians solved this so-called paradox centuries ago. Do keep up.

What's next? Can God create a married bachelor? Can God create a 4-sided triangle? Can God *insert gibberish here*?

The funniest one of these blasphemous flawed questions people ask to question God's power is if God can create an object so big that he can't lift it
Most followers of Abrahamic religions see God as a spiritual figure who doesn't exist in the physical world we know - this is of course explicit in Christianity where God sent his son to interact with humanity on his behalf. Therefore, they would never physically attempt to live something through sheer strength - their potency lies in the ability to create and change the world as they wish, not in animalistic qualities such as strength.
Original post by Vividly clear
The funniest one of these blasphemous flawed questions people ask to question God's power is if God can create an object so big that he can't lift it

Back when I was an atheist, I was so impressed by the paradox. "Wow!" I thought, God has been taken out effortlessly! I must have made some theists LOL back then :rofl:
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Back when I was an atheist, I was so impressed by the paradox. "Wow!" I thought, God has been taken out effortlessly! I must have made some theists LOL back then :rofl:

Certainly, as mediocre questions like" uh where did god come frum uh"

Are still being asked in the 21st century when religious philosophers, some of them even Gnostics answered that questions hundreds of years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending