The Student Room Group

Law Vs Law and Economics

I am currently in my final year of high school and achieved AAAAA in my highers. I have had my sights set on a law degree, however, i am recently realising I am also very interested in economics. I take part in a lot of extracurriculars, including volunteering and debate club. I have relevant work experience tailored for law and have a strong personal statement for this subject, so would applying for a joint degree lower my chances of getting a place at university? My first choice is Edinburgh, and they are really hard to get into, so I don't know if it's worth the risk. Would it be a good idea to apply to Edinburgh twice, one for straight law and the other for law and economics?
The other universities I am deciding between are Glasgow, Dundee, Strathclyde and Aberdeen.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by lucy713
I am currently in my final year of high school and achieved AAAAA in my highers. I have had my sights set on a law degree, however, i am recently realising I am also very interested in economics. I take part in a lot of extracurriculars, including volunteering and debate club. I have relevant work experience tailored for law and have a strong personal statement for this subject, so would applying for a joint degree lower my chances of getting a place at university? My first choice is Edinburgh, and they are really hard to get into, so I don't know if it's worth the risk. Would it be a good idea to apply to Edinburgh twice, one for straight law and the other for law and economics?
The other universities I am deciding between are Glasgow, Dundee, Strathclyde and Aberdeen.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hi ! I think I replied to your other post about which uni, but I will answer this one too
:smile:

A law degree is a lot of work and so for most people that is enough to focus on and a joint degree is too much. However, if you balance your time well then it is definitely achievable.

At Glasgow, you can study a straight law degree, but in 1st & 3rd year you have spare credits with which you can choose a non law subject from a list provided. Economics is one of those subjects as I was considering taking it this year.

I took forensic medicine in first year with my spare 20 credits and it has literally shaped the rest of my degree.
Maybe if a joint degree would be too much then this is a perfect alternative. Okay, you would still be graduating with a straight law degree, but it would allow you to take something to you are passionate about alongside it.

Also, bare in mind that at some Scottish unis, if you take a joint degree in law then you dont always come out with an LLB which you need if you want to practice. Just make sure the courses you are applying to if joint degrees say LLB rather than BA.

Hope this helps !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending