The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
Original post by vincrows
Come to think of it, it makes sense they have access to a publisher's digital archive as UL is a legal deposit library.
All the books she needed for her supervisions/lectures were available from one of the libraries (UL, department, college), mostly in digital as well, but it wasn't necessarily the case for books she wanted to read for her dissertation, even in printed form.
So a few trips to British Library was needed for dissertation.

Yeah if you need some really niche stuff I guess the UL may not even have a copy, especially if it's very old. The arts and humanities students can worry about that though :tongue:
Original post by alow
Yeah if you need some really niche stuff I guess the UL may not even have a copy, especially if it's very old. The arts and humanities students can worry about that though :tongue:

Yeah she WAS an art/humanity student.....:tongue:
They weren't that old, all published within last 10-15 yrs or so, but perhaps quite niche.

British Library's reading rooms are really nice though. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1322
Original post by kn_dragon
Per year it's like £4,413... so per term it's around £1,471

Does it include utility and the fixed kitchen charge?
Original post by 12284
Does it include utility and the fixed kitchen charge?

I think it includes utilities, not sure about KFC. I'll ask my college parents about it
I have a copy of my SAQ answers for some reason and some of them are so cringifyingly cheesy
Original post by paddy10663
That makes sense, I was sort of guessing that they might be Band A rooms, but even then I thought a balcony was a bit much! What's the cool looking cylindrical thing with windows which comes out of the roof?

I'll be studying CompSci. How much work have you been given in preparation? I feel like there's a lot already!

What have you been set this year?
Original post by Serine Soul
I have a copy of my SAQ answers for some reason and some of them are so cringifyingly cheesy

iirc mine was a mixture of saying "ooh maths is so beautiful" whilst sucking up to a couple of profs I saw at the open day
Reply 1327
Original post by Mathemagicien
Are you guys talking about the (optional) additional personal statement in your SAQs?

I remember someone posting ages ago that their (DoS?) read out everyones' personal statements for a laugh. :hide:

At least their DoS read them.
Original post by EnglishMuon
iirc mine was a mixture of saying "ooh maths is so beautiful" whilst sucking up to a couple of profs I saw at the open day

Mine was essentially 'look mate, your course is top, your uni is top, I want a decent career in science, let me in' :lol:
Are you guys talking about the (optional) additional personal statement in your SAQs?

I remember someone posting ages ago that their (DoS?) read out everyones' personal statements for a laugh. :hide:

Yeah...

That's so cruel :'(

It is a tradition at last dinner of DoS/fellows/final year students before graduation day at some colleges.
They read out the graduates' PS when they applied.
At my daughter's, they turned it into a game and DoS read PS without the author's name and everybody guess who wrote it, and the author pretend it's not them join in guessing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Serine Soul

Original post by EnglishMuon

It worked, tho. :biggrin:

Am I the only one who didn't bother with writing an additional PS for my SAQ? I literally only filled in what was compulsory...
It is a tradition at last dinner of DoS/fellows/final year students before graduation day at some colleges.
They read out the graduates' PS when they applied.
At my daughter's, they turned it into a game and DoS read PS without the author's name and everybody guess who wrote it, and the author pretend it's not them.

Do they read out the UCAS PS or the SAQ ones? Because I didn't do a SAQ PS, so I'm hoping very much that's the one which gets read out!
Original post by Platopus
Do they read out the UCAS PS or the SAQ ones? Because I didn't do a SAQ PS, so I'm hoping very much that's the one which gets read out!

It was PS at her college.
I'd think it'd be the same for most colleges because some applicants leave SAQ blank.
It was PS at her college.
I'd think it'd be the same for most colleges because some applicants leave SAQ blank.

Oh dear... Well, hopefully everyone's will be equally cringey :tongue:
It worked, tho. :biggrin:

lol luckily!
My PS was rubbish, but I'm not embarrassed by it.
Who is going to the Welcome to Cambridge event in London on Wednesday?
Original post by Platopus
Am I the only one who didn't bother with writing an additional PS for my SAQ? I literally only filled in what was compulsory...

I didn't fill it in either
Original post by D3LLI5
What have you been set this year?

There’s the NatSci maths booklet with some pretty wide ranging questions and a three part pre-arrival CompSci course which goes over the fundamentals of CompSci, a short bit about setting up ML, and a longer set of articles on Java. There’s also some bits of reading to do.

It probably seems worse given I’ve been trying to do it whilst away on holiday though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending