The Student Room Group

LGBTQ people- what discrimination have you experienced?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abc_123_
Sorry I probably sound really dumb but what is intersex? xx

Intersex people are born with sex characteristics (including genitals, gonads and chromosome patterns) that do not fit typical binary notions of male or female bodies.-WikiI believe people who identify as intersex identify as either a man or woman but with the opposite gender's genitaliaI think people who were born with ambiguous genitalia had surgery to "correct" it. However recently this has become incredibly controversial as the patient is non consensual.
Last April Malta was the first country to outlaw non consensual surgery to alter sexual anatomy.
Original post by KingBradly
Could you describe the ethnicities of the people you have found to be homophobic?

One guy was Somalian, the other was Pakistani. There's also more people who have been homophobic but I can't really remember them since in my school, there's people of varying ethnicity. The common factor here is the behavioural upbringing. All of the people who have been homophobic tend to be the "roadman" type or people who have to maintain a "hard" appearance. If you're looking for more correlations, they are under-performers with them not getting very high GCSE grades in comparison with the majority of people in our school. It doesn't concern me since they aren't guys I would want to be friends with, let alone go for in *that* way.

If ethnicity is still a factor for you, why is it that so many Pakistani people also happen to be one of the most open people towards my sexuality despite their majority religion preaching against homosexuality? Being educated in Britain plays a big part in whether someone is homophobic because of different societal norms and acceptances. I get that you aren't trying to be racist or anything - I understand your curiosity :tongue:
How was the surgery non consensual? did they get it done when they were younger?

So imagine at birth, you had ambiguous genitalia, I think that the doctor might offer to correct it. However obviously it would be the parents making the decision not the patient. That's what makes it non consensual.
So would the person who had the surgery know in the end and do you not think it is better for the child to have one set gender?

I think they would, at puberty sexual organs begin maturing, hormones are released and it is very possible that the intersex would feel that the thoughts in their brain wouldn't match the changes in the body.

Intersex just means that their body doesn't match their brain (I believe) so it's important for them to have the gender they identify as.
Do you think some intersex people have a sex change so they have the body that they believe they are to match the gender they identify as

I'm really not sure. I don't know if they are able to have surgery due to the harm that may have been done when they were born. Perhaps you are thinking about trans-gendered people?
Original post by KingBradly
Could you describe the ethnicities of the people you have found to be homophobic?

White British
There was no one out at my school. Anyone accused of being gay was taunted, spat at and often subject to group beatings. Teachers largely turned a blind eye to it (Section 28 perhaps?) and some had no qualms about expressing their own homophobic views.

Maybe 10% of kids at my school now identify as non-straight.
I've had to deal with some, recently my mum told me she didn't understand where she went wrong in terms of bringing me up, because she didn't understand why I am bisexual. The assumption being that being LGBTQ is a result of some kind of neglect or abuse.
Original post by Robby2312
True.However if its so accepted then why am I yet to see a gay couple in say disney for example? Also I live in birmingham.Thats a city of 1 milllon people.If 1% of people are gay then thats 10000 people.I should see gay people with at least the same regularity as say chinese people.Yet its very rare that you see gay people.Either they are a lot rarer than we think or they are not being open about it.

You see a lot of people that are gay or whatnot in the media. many games and Shows like to put gay people or something like that In as it is being "equal"

I would honestly be offended if the media felt it had to have someone who's main trait was gay.
what is the difference between transgender and intersex I'm quite confused?

Intersex people are born with ambigious genitalia, i.e. a very small penis or large clitoris. therefore they cannot really conform to one sex.

Transgendered people are those that believe they were assigned the wrong gender at birth. They may have a normal functioning penis but feel as if they are really a woman for example.
So would a person know if they were intersex?

probably. what's with all the intersex questions anyway :tongue:
Experienced quite a bit in high school at one point. I wasn't even out then - people just suspected I was 'bisexual'.

Since I came out as gay I have experienced no homophobia whatsoever.
Idk I've never heard of it before I guess I'm interested if that's not a bit weird

oh no problem. it's good to open your mind and learn about new things.
Original post by MildredMalone
It's LGBT, not LGBTQ.

And no discrimination, thank god :biggrin:

LGB*

I as a gay person have no more in common with a transgender person than a straight person does.
Reply 34
This whole
"It's LGB not LGBT - it's LGBT not LGBTQ - it's not LGBTQIA"
to me it's completely absurd. Especially when it comes from members of the community itself. I'm straight, and it could be LGBTQIABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ123 for all I care, and for all you should care too. What difference does it make to you if transgenders, asexuals, agenders, queers, intersexed people were part of the community? You are all part of minorities and you all deserve to have your rights spoken for and to feel not alone and to feel recognised and loved and not like monsters or outcasts or having something wrong with you.

So why would a minority turn to another minority and essentially be like "you can't sit with us" - like I just don't understand that mentality. Let people find their identity, be who they want to be, love who they want to love and be recognised and heard - who are you to stand in their way and say they don't belong in some place. Y'all should be supportive of the other gender identities/ sexualities, and raising awareness for many more and encouraging people from those minorities to speak up, not start dividing yourselves because of your differences smh.

LGB or LGBTQIA is not just about lesbians, gays or bisexuals. It's about the whole spectrum. Which is why in many cases it is represented by the rainbow - a spectrum.

PRSOM :cry2:
"I feel uncomfortable" just because I'm bisexual or even like girls, it does not mean I am interested in you :h: If I had not told you I was bisexual you would not have acted (Moving away from me) or said things like that - its also just plain stupid, arrogant and a tad homophobic :lol:

I think that's luckily the only time I've felt discriminated because of my sexuality.and its only been that one person who I have now cut off!
Reply 37
Original post by bluemadhatter
"I feel uncomfortable" just because I'm bisexual or even like girls, it does not mean I am interested in you :h: If I had not told you I was bisexual you would not have acted (Moving away from me) or said things like that - its also just plain stupid, arrogant and a tad homophobic :lol:

I think that's luckily the only time I've felt discriminated because of my sexuality.and its only been that one person who I have now cut off!

lmao when they do that you should be like "***** idk why you're moving away not even guys would wanna date you :hand:"
Living in Eastern Europe for 16 it was my discrimination experience everyday. I was scared everyday for my safety because people can react in a very bad way. Actually, one of the most memorable discrimation I have ever had was before to move in Uk with 3 days. One of my best friend asked me about a guy and I said to her "he is cute". My friend said to that guy what I spoke with her. Next day that guy was looking after me and he almost killed me. (beside he threatened me to never comeback here). I don't hate my country because it is a homophobic country, I am very proud where I am from and feeling lucky because some countries are worse than mine (feeling so sorry for those people). However coming back in the present after 2.5 years I am still scared to say about my sexual orientation even here in Uk nobody cares because of my past accidents with homophobic experience.
I get discrimination from both the LGBT community and Muslim community. Buuut that's life ey? Lolol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending