The Student Room Group

LGBTQ people- what discrimination have you experienced?

I'm interested in whether LGBT teenagers have experienced discrimination or abuse because of their sexuality or identity in the UK.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are there any LGBT people here in tsr??
It's LGBT, not LGBTQ.

And no discrimination, thank god :biggrin:
During our student talks, one of the parents asked "what the hell is LGBT?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've only come out to my best friend and my parents (I'm bi), so pretty much no discrimination. However, I'm not sure my mum has completely accepted it yet; I think she thinks I just have "bisexual tendencies".

But other than that, no actual discrimination.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is not much discrimination against LGBT people in this country. It's not like Saudi Arabia were people get beaten or even killed for being gay
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not out as lesbian to most people, but students and some teachers at my school would often make homophobic remarks about homosexuality being a disease etc without knowing that I'm gay
Original post by MildredMalone
It's LGBT, not LGBTQ.

And no discrimination, thank god :biggrin:

It is LGBTQ. The Q stands for queer/questioning
Original post by That Bearded Man
During our student talks, one of the parents asked "what the hell is LGBT?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg that's horrible, bless your soul.
Just to introduce myself, I'm the first and only guy who's out in my year. There are at least six girls who are out in my school but no guys. People don't intentionally try to discriminate but some people, guys specifically, still think that being gay is wrong.

I had one guy say to me "I respect that you're gay and all but don't go around telling everyone since it's wrong". I've also had another guy going around making homophobic gestures. The amount of people who are homophobic is very small and I find that it's usually the ones who try to act hard or get poor grades, usually both. I'd also like to add that religion has nothing to do with people who are homophobic and that people who follow religions preaching against homosexuality have actually been more accepting of me. Literally only 2% of all people in my school have been homophobic and I don't talk to those people anyway.
As a straight person I also recieve discrimination
Original post by Terrobility
Just to introduce myself, I'm the first and only guy who's out in my year. There are at least six girls who are out in my school but no guys. People don't intentionally try to discriminate but some people, guys specifically, still think that being gay is wrong.

I had one guy say to me "I respect that you're gay and all but don't go around telling everyone since it's wrong". I've also had another guy going around making homophobic gestures. The amount of people who are homophobic is very small and I find that it's usually the ones who try to act hard or get poor grades, usually both. I'd also like to add that religion has nothing to do with people who are homophobic and that people who follow religions preaching against homosexuality have actually been more accepting of me. Literally only 2% of all people in my school have been homophobic and I don't talk to those people anyway.

Original post by simbasdragon
I'm not out as lesbian to most people, but students and some teachers at my school would often make homophobic remarks about homosexuality being a disease etc without knowing that I'm gay

Could you describe the ethnicities of the people you have found to be homophobic?
Original post by squish562
There is not much discrimination against LGBT people in this country. It's not like Saudi Arabia were people get beaten or even killed for being gay

True.However if its so accepted then why am I yet to see a gay couple in say disney for example? Also I live in birmingham.Thats a city of 1 milllon people.If 1% of people are gay then thats 10000 people.I should see gay people with at least the same regularity as say chinese people.Yet its very rare that you see gay people.Either they are a lot rarer than we think or they are not being open about it.
Original post by abc_123_
What is the Q? x
I'm completely straight btw x :smile:

As a user said above Q stands for Queer/Questioning.

I believe in full it is LGBTQAI+ although don't quote me on that
No real discrimination or anything, just a decent amount of nasty comments. There's always the classic 'it's cool that you're bi, but don't come too close to me because I'm not into women' thing though. That's always real fun. Oh, and 'bisexuality doesn't exist'. Even more fun.
Original post by abc_123_
What is the AI+ tho?

A is Asexual and I believe I is intersex.

LGBT is just a short form of it, more of an umbrella of different sexualities etc.
Original post by KingBradly
Could you describe the ethnicities of the people you have found to be homophobic?

Why do you care?
Reply 17
Transgender boy and living out as a boy - no discrimination, just ignorant/clueless questions or comments. Ain't a biggie.
Original post by Trapz99
Why do you care?

Why do you care that I care? I care because I want more information. Surely it's useful to know what cultures have the biggest problems with homophobia in the UK.
Oh boy, have I had some pretty mean comments thrown at me for being trans :s-smilie: I won't go into specifics but very few people have been supportive, to put it lightly :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending