The Student Room Group

Oxford Economics and Management Course

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Yeah definitely, a course like E&M should ideally be accepting more students especially due to the great demand.

Wow that sounds really interesting, travelling all across Europe, what do you plan to do whilst you are doing it? There's quite a few programmes out there that allow you to do it to be fair. You're gonna have great fun doing it, meanwhile there's me, completing my A levels :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Europe thing will actually be separate to the type of gap year programme that some companies offer (going further afield I'll use one of these agencies though). So I'm going to be free to travel myself; my main aims are to visit the major cities of each country (Paris, Brussels, Munich, Vienna, Venice, Rome, Florence, Bern) and visit the major landmarks and art museums. I haven't planned anything out properly yet though.

Haha I know the feeling, I've literally gone through all that stress a matter of months ago! That's partly why I'm taking a gap year - not just to reapply to Oxford but to have a bit of a break from constant examination. If you don't make it in for whatever reason this year, but get the grades, it's definitely worth consideration :smile:
Original post by JRKinder
The Europe thing will actually be separate to the type of gap year programme that some companies offer (going further afield I'll use one of these agencies though). So I'm going to be free to travel myself; my main aims are to visit the major cities of each country (Paris, Brussels, Munich, Vienna, Venice, Rome, Florence, Bern) and visit the major landmarks and art museums. I haven't planned anything out properly yet though.

Haha I know the feeling, I've literally gone through all that stress a matter of months ago! That's partly why I'm taking a gap year - not just to reapply to Oxford but to have a bit of a break from constant examination. If you don't make it in for whatever reason this year, but get the grades, it's definitely worth consideration :smile:

You're gonna have one hell of a time, I'd love to travel across Europe but I'm stuck at sixth form :frown: I'm really nervous about this year tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're gonna have one hell of a time, I'd love to travel across Europe but I'm stuck at sixth form :frown: I'm really nervous about this year tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully, but the cost worries me (and is why I'm having to work now). But if all goes to plan it should be great! :smile:

If you want to do the same then take a gap year too lol, it's a good time for personal development and you may never get the chance again. I was nervous all the way until results day, but as long as you put in the time and effort you just have to trust yourself to succeed. The fact that you're even in a position to apply to Oxford shows you've got a really good chance of getting top grades!
Hopefully, but the cost worries me (and is why I'm having to work now). But if all goes to plan it should be great! :smile:

If you want to do the same then take a gap year too lol, it's a good time for personal development and you may never get the chance again. I was nervous all the way until results day, but as long as you put in the time and effort you just have to trust yourself to succeed. The fact that you're even in a position to apply to Oxford shows you've got a really good chance of getting top grades!

Yeah that's why I'm signing up for Deloitte scholars in case I don't get an offer but get good grades. I'm sure you'll find something which will fund the trip!

Yeah if I do get the offer I'll be delighted but if I don't it'll be a learning experience and I'll probably apply next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that's why I'm signing up for Deloitte scholars in case I don't get an offer but get good grades. I'm sure you'll find something which will fund the trip!

Yeah if I do get the offer I'll be delighted but if I don't it'll be a learning experience and I'll probably apply next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah yeah I saw the Deloitte scheme but I was a bit late to apply for this year unfortunately, however my Dad knows a recruitment officer for an agency that works closely with Rolls-Royce and it has a lot to do with data science and stats (good for economics degree skills), so through him I've sent my application in so fingers crossed should hear back shortly. It'll pay more and hopefully be more interesting than working in a shop or something, so that's my best bet for now I think.

Absolutely! If you get the offer than that's wonderful and you can go this year (or defer it), but if not then a gap year is a great alternative. I'm also going to start learning French and German once everyone's gone off to uni, which'll be a useful and hopefully enjoyable activity to occupy myself with :smile:
Reply 45
Oh I'm surprised about that since E&M is so popular. I really think they need to increase the spaces available for E&M, even Brasenose only had 3.
:redface:

I always (obvs mistakenly) thought "management" was a bit vocational rather than academic. But it is the most popular course at Oxford. So why not accountancy, or finance, or even banking?
Original post by Pars12
I always (obvs mistakenly) thought "management" was a bit vocational rather than academic. But it is the most popular course at Oxford. So why not accountancy, or finance, or even banking?
Oh no I agree, I have no idea why they don't do a pure Economics course. I'd have thought, at least from their perspective, that tagging "and Management" onto the end would make it sound less traditional (and that's also why they don't have courses for the others you mentioned).
Ah yeah I saw the Deloitte scheme but I was a bit late to apply for this year unfortunately, however my Dad knows a recruitment officer for an agency that works closely with Rolls-Royce and it has a lot to do with data science and stats (good for economics degree skills), so through him I've sent my application in so fingers crossed should hear back shortly. It'll pay more and hopefully be more interesting than working in a shop or something, so that's my best bet for now I think.

Absolutely! If you get the offer than that's wonderful and you can go this year (or defer it), but if not then a gap year is a great alternative. I'm also going to start learning French and German once everyone's gone off to uni, which'll be a useful and hopefully enjoyable activity to occupy myself with :smile:

Oh unlucky, if you get the Rolls Royce thing that'd be amazing.

If I do get the offer I'll probably be too excited to defer it :biggrin: but if I don't, I'll be equally as excited as I'll get to work for Deloitte and make some money for uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pars12

I'd probably say that firstly, they're two disciplines that go hand in hand, with economics on a larger scale whilst management comes down to an individual firm. Also, they needed a way to allow undergraduates to use the Saïd business school :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, sorry to "hijack" this thread but I'm in a similar situation where I am most likely going to apply to 4 straight Economics courses and then one Economics and Finance (at Bristol). Because the E+F is only a recent last minute choice, all my PS is about Economics. How much of my PS do I need to edit to accommodate the finance aspect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joddcfc
Hi, sorry to "hijack" this thread but I'm in a similar situation where I am most likely going to apply to 4 straight Economics courses and then one Economics and Finance (at Bristol). Because the E+F is only a recent last minute choice, all my PS is about Economics. How much of my PS do I need to edit to accommodate the finance aspect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there any particular reason why you're going for E&F at Bristol only?

Hmmm... this is a bit more difficult than Oxford since Bristol don't have admissions tests and interviews, if there's any way to work Finance into your existing PS whilst still making it relevant to Economics then you could try that, or if not then perhaps just one small paragraph about Finance somewhere?
Is there any particular reason why you're going for E&F at Bristol only?

Hmmm... this is a bit more difficult than Oxford since Bristol don't have admissions tests and interviews, if there's any way to work Finance into your existing PS whilst still making it relevant to Economics then you could try that, or if not then perhaps just one small paragraph about Finance somewhere?

The main reason is because I want to apply to Bristol, I am already applying to two other A*AA universities and Bristol need A*AA for Economics but just AAA for E+F. Will probably try to weed small bits of finance in - my UCAS mentor did Economics at uni many years ago anyway so I'n hoping his advice can be quite helpful. Thanks for the reply :smile:
Oh I'm surprised about that since E&M is so popular. I really think they need to increase the spaces available for E&M, even Brasenose only had 3.

We have six places for E&M :smile:

Brasenose Admissions
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
[QUOTEJRKinder;67522548]Oh I'm surprised about that since E&M is so popular. I really think they need to increase the spaces available for E&M, even Brasenose only had 3.

We have six places for E&M :smile:

Brasenose Admissions
Oops, my mistake! Thanks for the correction, must have been thinking about somewhere else :smile:
Reply 54
I'd probably say that firstly, they're two disciplines that go hand in hand, with economics on a larger scale whilst management comes down to an individual firm. Also, they needed a way to allow undergraduates to use the Saïd business school :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm expecting my lottery numbers to come up any day now (law of averages) and when they do I am going to open up the Pars12 Plumbing School. Classics and Plumbing will be the new E&M.
Original post by Pars12
I'm expecting my lottery numbers to come up any day now (law of averages) and when they do I am going to open up the Pars12 Plumbing School. Classics and Plumbing will be the new E&M.

I'd definitely apply to that

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE: 5A* 4A 1B
AS: AAAA
A2: A*AA + A* EPQ (achieved)
TSA: 63.3 (hoping to improve on it this year, I got 68 in one of my practise papers :colonhash:)

My GCSE's are a little weak as far as Oxbridge is concerned, but my school is in the bottom 40% lmao and they contextualise it so it doesn't really matter.

This probably sounds like a silly question but how do you calculate Tsa scores as they're put of 50? Times it by 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by icecreamcake
This probably sounds like a silly question but how do you calculate Tsa scores as they're put of 50? Times it by 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sadly thats not the case, its based on a specific scale so depends in part on other people's results i think. the first questions you get right are worth quite a lot, than it slows down and then it goes quickly at the end (big difference between 46/50 and 49/50).

Do you feel ready for the TSA? I find it quite hard...
Original post by icecreamcake

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's dependent on the scores of the other applicants, but there has been a trend in recent years of less raw marks required for a high converted score. Think of it like UMS for A Levels. Generally for PPE you want to aim for 60+ for an interview, whereas for E&M you'd ideally want at least 67 due to the competition. Getting a high score won't guarantee an offer, but there's probably slightly more room for error in the interview than if you have a low score. But if you do manage to get an interview, that means you're definitely in contention and a strong performance here can secure an offer :smile:
Original post by mattpastor
Sadly thats not the case, its based on a specific scale so depends in part on other people's results i think. the first questions you get right are worth quite a lot, than it slows down and then it goes quickly at the end (big difference between 46/50 and 49/50).

Do you feel ready for the TSA? I find it quite hard...

Sorry I'm still a bit confused :/ someone posted above that they got 68 in their practice paper so do you know how they calculated that?

Ugh I'm finding it dreadful!! I'm bad at both the multiple choice and the essays :frown: how are you practicing for either? Thing is for the essays, I don't really know how to improve - I just know that my essays are bad XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending