The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi Peterhouse!

I'm considering applying to study linguistics at Cambridge. I will be taking A-levels in French, Physics, Maths and FM. I'm in year 12 at the moment. However, it also says on the Cambridge website that English Language or Literature, Maths, an Arts/Science mix, and a Language are useful preparation. Do you think my A-level choices will put me at a disadvantage in any way? They are quite maths-heavy - I don't really want to study English. Should I consider taking it anyway? Would it be a cause for concern if an applicant had not studied English at A-level? My school doesn't offer English Language A-level. I got 200/200 UMS in my English Literature GCSE, if that helps.

I could also take another language (Spanish) if it'll improve my application for linguistics.
Original post by 210555
Not sure about the chemistry. Peterhouse will clarify but A*A*A > A* AAA - this is deemed preferable. The only thing I would say though is the individual modules you do this year are important. Think about the Cambridge assessment and interview. Next December. You may be at a disadvantage if you have not covered at least FP1 and a mechanics module in terms of attempting problems. Have a look at "I want to study engineering. Org" as an indicator. You can always self study them. Good luck 😀

Thanks. What was the interview like?
Reply 202
How important would you say a personal statement is for subjects like Maths, Natural Sciences etc? My school is saying it's less important for these subjects because it's mostly about your actual ability in the subject as opposed to an essay based subject. Whilst I agree with them that information like UMS, interviews and entrance exams are a better way to assess these applicants, it's better to hear it from the uni themselves so there's no confusion (heard mixed views really), also seems to be mostly the schools opinion just for Oxbridge, as other universities may not do interviews or entrance exams and hence only really have your grades&personal statement so it's much more important in that case.
Hi. I will he applying for engineering this year and was wondering how important the interview is/was as I have seen statistics showing how numerous previously acedemically flawless applications have been rejected presumeably due to interview. I am worried about the importance of this as im worried i might not perform on the day. Will the importance of the interview be lessened by the admissions assessment this year and so allow more room for underperforming?
Thanks
Hi!

Firstly, thanks for making this thread. I wanted to ask about the essay question for the Architecture admission test- is there a set topic/theme for this essay that applicants know about beforehand, or could anything be asked?
Hi, I think Im a bit late but here goes.

Am I at a severe disadvantage for Computer Science applications without Further Maths? I hope to take Further Maths AS this year, but at the very least the school may only be able to fit me into D1 lessons (not FP1 lessons) which is really annoying.

Do you still accept CompSci's with no FM A Level?

Thank you
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am an applicant on a gap year who wants to apply for engineering. I achieved 4A*'s at the A level. I am currently working in industry through this year.
I would like to know if being on a gap year significantly disadvantages me, and what does Cambridge specifically look for applicants on gap years?
Reply 207
Hello Peterhouse, I was wondering if I could submit a testimonial I received following my job shadowing experience when making my application for Medicine or is the testimonial just for me to read personally?
Also does not taking any subjects at H3 level significantly disadvantage my application?
Thank you for answering our questions!
Original post by lion7
Hi Peterhouse Admissions!
I have just received my AS results and I'm hoping to apply for Maths, which I'm aware has applicants with relatively high UMS. My scores are as follows:
C1: 98
C2:100
S1: 98
M1:96
FP1: 97
D1: 100
S2: 90
M2: 83
I am happy with the top 6 but my school let us opt in to sit 2 extra modules (S2 and M2). Unfortunately, my M2 score is a lot lower than I expected considering I was strong at M2 (I hope to get it remarked for the sake of my FM grade). Will this rogue module be a detriment to my application?
My average is still above 95 and I am predicted 4A* in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Would I have a chance of being selected for interview and being a competitive applicant?

Thanks in advance!

Excellent scores, well done. You will get an interview I would think. Make sure you practice for it though! Grades aren't everything for a Cambridge application and what happens on the day matters. Very best of luck to you.
Original post by metrize
Thanks. What was the interview like?

Hi there. If you're year 12 you don't need to worry about the interview just yet. Concentrate on your studies and developing your interests in engineering by wider reading/(activities) etc. Visit lots of colleges next year ( and other universities) too to see where you want to apply to first. You may like the content of the Cambridge degree, you may not. I liked the Meng and that it what I applied for at all my choices. I have mates who thought it was too general. So you see the degree choice really matters and it is a personal thing.

The interviews bring in human contact so there will naturally be a more "subjective" element to them, that's life. I trust Cambridge University as a whole institution when they say they are working hard in Outreach programmes etc to widen social access to the university. Best of luck 👍
Original post by JN17
How important would you say a personal statement is for subjects like Maths, Natural Sciences etc? My school is saying it's less important for these subjects because it's mostly about your actual ability in the subject as opposed to an essay based subject. Whilst I agree with them that information like UMS, interviews and entrance exams are a better way to assess these applicants, it's better to hear it from the uni themselves so there's no confusion (heard mixed views really), also seems to be mostly the schools opinion just for Oxbridge, as other universities may not do interviews or entrance exams and hence only really have your grades&personal statement so it's much more important in that case.

Hi there. You are applying for university, an Oxbridge one is just one of five you select. I really encourage ALL to apply but always remember it is, for various reasons, a hard university to get into, roughly 1 in 5 I think but that will vary course by course?

So, yes, the personal statement (PS)is incredibly important. The other four universities all gave me offers with no further testing, interviews etc and they are all "prestigious" ( I use that term tongue in cheek) so they just relied upon my academic background and PS. Spend some time on it ( it will take a few attempts). There is no magic formula. Make it about you and why you love your subject. It should be largely about your academic interests. The last 20% or so should be about your other interests as Oxbridge aside, other universities will be interested in you as a wider person. Best of luck. I was there this time last year with the whole UCAS thing so know what you and your mates will be going through. Trust me, it all works out nicely in the end.😀
Original post by 210555
Excellent scores, well done. You will get an interview I would think. Make sure you practice for it though! Grades aren't everything for a Cambridge application and what happens on the day matters. Very best of luck to you.

Original post by 210555
Hi there. If you're year 12 you don't need to worry about the interview just yet. Concentrate on your studies and developing your interests in engineering by wider reading/(activities) etc. Visit lots of colleges next year ( and other universities) too to see where you want to apply to first. You may like the content of the Cambridge degree, you may not. I liked the Meng and that it what I applied for at all my choices. I have mates who thought it was too general. So you see the degree choice really matters and it is a personal thing.

The interviews bring in human contact so there will naturally be a more "subjective" element to them, that's life. I trust Cambridge University as a whole institution when they say they are working hard in Outreach programmes etc to widen social access to the university. Best of luck 👍

Original post by 210555
Hi there. You are applying for university, an Oxbridge one is just one of five you select. I really encourage ALL to apply but always remember it is, for various reasons, a hard university to get into, roughly 1 in 5 I think but that will vary course by course?

So, yes, the personal statement (PS)is incredibly important. The other four universities all gave me offers with no further testing, interviews etc and they are all "prestigious" ( I use that term tongue in cheek) so they just relied upon my academic background and PS. Spend some time on it ( it will take a few attempts). There is no magic formula. Make it about you and why you love your subject. It should be largely about your academic interests. The last 20% or so should be about your other interests as Oxbridge aside, other universities will be interested in you as a wider person. Best of luck. I was there this time last year with the whole UCAS thing so know what you and your mates will be going through. Trust me, it all works out nicely in the end.😀

Have you read the title of this thread? :wink:
Original post by jtmass22
Hi. I will he applying for engineering this year and was wondering how important the interview is/was as I have seen statistics showing how numerous previously acedemically flawless applications have been rejected presumeably due to interview. I am worried about the importance of this as im worried i might not perform on the day. Will the importance of the interview be lessened by the admissions assessment this year and so allow more room for underperforming?
Thanks

I can't comment on the statistics but I was rejected and this year achieved 4 A* in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Not saying I was better than anyone else mind you, I don't know the academic background of the other candidates and only 1 in 6/7 ( I think) are successful ? So presumably many with good academic backgrounds are rejected.

I keep posting on here to support this years' candidates as the perspective of a recent rejected candidate may help? I try to be objective in my posts so in terms of your query!

Logically I think they wouldn't spend so much time on interviews if they didn't think them important. So do prepare prepare for it please. The admissions tests were brought in due to the reformed A levels (I think). So I'm not sure the weighting of the interview will have changed? The university will say it looks at all parts of an application " holistically" though so your academics are important.

Try not to be nervous and let's hope you find it a positive experience. The aim of the interview should be to test your thinking ability within a positive learning environment so it may help you to think of it that way. Practice talking out loud your thoughts as you work through problems you are studying. I know it feels "daft" especially if you are the quiet type like me. But it will help you. Don't worry too much, a good interviewer ( the majority I should think) will understand your nerves and encourage you. Best of luck.
Original post by vincrows
Have you read the title of this thread? :wink:

Yep ( what does the blue face mean by the way, I never did get it?) At the end of the day this is where applicants look for advice. I am sure Peterhouse will answer the queries Themselves, it's still early.

I always try to be objective and supportive. The experience of a recent applicant who knows what students are going through may or may not help. Wish I'd had it. I know there will be lots of students out there ( as I was last year) who don't know anybody who has actually applied to university through UCAS let alone Cambridge. Their schools will also have limited resources to help.

The university will give advice from their perspective, a student from theirs! Overall a more balanced view hopefully. You don't have the monopoly on posting you know ( meant tongue in cheek). 😜
Original post by 210555
Yep ( what does the blue face mean by the way, I never did get it?) At the end of the day this is where applicants look for advice. I am sure Peterhouse will answer the queries Themselves, it's still early.

I always try to be objective and supportive. The experience of a recent applicant who knows what students are going through may or may not help. Wish I'd had it. I know there will be lots of students out there ( as I was last year) who don't know anybody who has actually applied to university through UCAS let alone Cambridge. Their schools will also have limited resources to help.

The university will give advice from their perspective, a student from theirs! Overall a more balanced view hopefully. You don't have the monopoly on posting you know ( meant tongue in cheek). 😜

Why don't you start your own thread to offer your service, then?
People post question on this thread because they want accurate info and reliable advice from someone who's actually in charge of admission at Cambridge, not opinion of someone who unfortunately didn't get an offer.

You say you try to be objective but I've hardly ever found your countless posts you've posted in forum very objective. That's why I feel very uncomfortable YOU are replying so persistently to those prospective applicants and pressing your personal opinion on them. That's not what they are asking for on this thread.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 210555

These "Ask an AT" threads are set up and managed by the official reps, and replies really should be primarily from them (I know I sometimes break that "rule" too :wink: )

There are plenty of other threads for prospective applicants to engage with current students and fellow applicants and have the benefit of their experiences and insights (and such insights really are appreciated). Notably:

* The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2086102

* The Official 2017 Cambridge Applicants Thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3164815

* The Official Cambridge Applicants 2018 Thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3528165
Original post by ABramble
Hello,

I would love to study Law at Cambridge! I completed year 12, achieving a high A in AS Philosophy & Ethics. My results (in end of year exams) for the new reformed A Levels were As in both English Literature and History. I understand the entry requirement is A*AA, however my teachers have predicted me AAA for A2 (non-negotiable). My GCSE results were not amazing and I don't know if it is worth applying anymore. Any advice?

Thank you,
A Bramble.

Hi thanks for asking. I'm afraid that without predictions in line with the typical offer you would be unlikely to be invited for interview I'm afraid. If the school have a policy of predicting low (some schools will never predict A* for example) then this should be mentioned in the UCAS teacher's reference so we can account for it.
Original post by quantumpancake
Hi! I've just started Year 12 and was considering doing Maths at university but I would like to keep the option of doing philosophy open. I was intending to do Maths, FM, Physics and French A-levels. I know that maths is deemed useful for philosophy. I would like to avoid having to do English Literature if possible. But how important is to be doing an essay-based subject like English Literature if I want to study philosophy at Cambridge? Will I be at a disadvantage if I stick with my current A-levels?

Hi,

Maths vs philosophy isn't an uncommon match for candidates. Your A levels are fine and we don't expect English Literature for Philosophy. 4 A levels plus STEP prep (if you go down the Maths route) will be a lot of work so make sure you're ok with that.
Original post by Stanspam
Hello again,

Thank you for your previous reply. For medicine, in one of your previous threads, you mentioned that "Some colleges feel the BMAT is a really good guide... Consequently there are other colleges (including Peterhouse) that view BMAT scores as a part of the jigsaw and only that". Would it be possible to find out which colleges feel that BMAT is a "good guide"?

Also, regarding resits, it was mentioned in a student room page for oxbridge that an AS resit score taken in year 13 is not taken into account for Cambridge and instead it is the original result achieved in year 12 that is used. Is this true?

For medicine interviews the colleges seem to approach candidates with different subjects e.g. some use biology, while other use chemistry. Is it possible to find out which colleges use which subjects?

Thank you in advance.

Hi, good to see you're doing your research and reading our old threads!

It is possible to find out the approaches of the Colleges but you'd have to do the work of emailing the various admissions offices I'm afraid. They all view BMAT scores alongside all other information but assessments are made by real humans who will have slightly different opinions and experiences of the predictive power of the BMAT.

For UMS we'd be most interested in the most recent score.
Original post by Friendly Forever
thank you for helping!
So, just to clarify... someone applying with English, history, french or something would have no advantage over someone applying with English, maths and chemistry?

Only hypothetical candidates have everything equal :smile: Once we've looked at the essential subjects, others form part of the holistic assessment of scores, school, backgrouns, PS, reference etc. and this is done on a case-by-case basis.

Latest