The Student Room Group

Mental Oxbridge complex?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Ironically, you remind me of an alpha particle, extremely slow and unable penetrate through the most simple things :/.

Just saying but @physicsmaths recently got into Cambridge to study Maths
Original post by DarkEnergy
Just saying but @physicsmaths recently got into Cambridge to study Maths

Really? After what he said above? 😂

That kind of reveals a conflict of interest with regards to his bias on the topic.

He should stick to maths, because debates aren't his thing, clearly.
Really? After what he said above? 😂

That kind of reveals a conflict of interest with regards to his bias on the topic.

Yeah, I'm one of his stalker fanboys. His insurance was Imperial.
Yeah, I'm one of his stalker fanboys. His insurance was Imperial.

Doesn't the fact that he put his insurance as Imperial agree with what I'm saying with regards to the same applicants applying to both unis and having A*A*A then?

I'm surprised my physics joke didn't get more laughs to be quite honest.
Doesn't the fact that he put his insurance as Imperial agree with what I'm saying with regards to the same applicants applying to both unis and having A*A*A then?

I'm not sure because his qualifications were different from the average applicant. Pretty sure he took a gap year after getting A-levels and did more A-levels (or resits IDK) in Physics and Additional Further Maths. From his profile he had an A*A* offer with S, 1 in STEP from Cambridge and AA offer from Imperial, but still got in with BB and 1,1 in STEP.
I'm not sure because his qualifications were different from the average applicant. Pretty sure he took a gap year after getting A-levels and did more A-levels (or resits IDK) in Physics and Additional Further Maths. From his profile he had an A*A* offer with S, 1 in STEP from Cambridge and AA offer from Imperial, but still got in with BB and 1,1 in STEP.

B grades at Cambridge?

Edit: How do you get 1s in STEP, then Bs?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 66
B grades at Cambridge?

He got A*A*BB.

Because A-Levels are a pile of ****?
B grades at Cambridge?

he has learning difficulties
Original post by JohnGreek
And... the thread devolves into an Oxbridge versus Imperial contest.

(Nice to see someone standing up for Imperial for once, lately that honour has been reserved for Warwick/King's :smile: )

What arguement does anyone have for Kings' versus Oxbridge? They're a poor man's UCL.
You stated that Oxford was better for Engineering in your previous post regarding firming lower offers from Oxford over higher offers from Imperial, because Oxford was "better".It's not the students, it's general everyday people at my sixth form. It seems to have a better domestic and global reputation for some reason.You could argue that many people who fail to get an offer from Imperial also get A*A*A, as they would of likely been predicted this before they applied in order to meet the requirements for the A*A*A courses.Again, I'm not sure the slacking off bit due to lower entry requirements is realistic. These guys/girls are evidentially very hard workers and just because they need AAA doesn't mean they're going to work to the bare-minimum. One could in fact argue they'd be encouraged to work harder. I'm predicted A*AA, though most of my medical schools need AAA. Does that mean I'm going to slack off? No.

No, I literally didn't. I said people firm Oxford over Imperial because "it's Oxford". It's the prestige, the name.

Meh, whatever.

Being predicted A*A*A doesn't mean you'll get it. And there's no need to argue, just find some numbers for how many Imperial rejects get A*A*A and then find some numbers for how many science Oxford/Cambridge rejects get A*A*A (if you can). I'm pretty sure Cambridge science rejects will get it more often, considering how many of them go to Imperial. :teehee:

He should stick to maths, because debates aren't his thing, clearly.

not sure what you mean, that was a winning roast

No, him putting his insurance as A*A*A (as well as me, for the record), shows that getting those grades is piss easy for most successful Cambridge applicants.

yeah it got no laughs because it was dead mate
Reply 70
You cannot conclusively state that more UCAS points = better A Level grades. It generally means more A Levels taken.

Imperial has standard offers of A*A*AA for all engineering courses, with A*AA-A*A*A for nearly everything else. This is easily higher than Oxford's, but marginally lower than Cambridge's - but since I was comparing it to the average Oxbridge student - Imperial comes out on top (as you need AAA to get into lots of courses at Oxford).

GG.

Most Cam students achieve higher than the standard offer, so the offer's just another hoop to jump through having got an offer. The average science student gets ~3A*, whereas the standard offer requires 2A*, and the average arts student gets ~2A*, whereas just one is required in the offer. The offers Cam gives out are usually exceeded by most offer holders. When Cam increased the standard offer in sciences a couple of years ago, it was just changing it closer to what most offer holders achieved anyway.

Imperial probably have high offers as a way of selecting applicants i.e. only the best make the offer.

It is in this sense that standard offers may not be representative of the calibre of the students selected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StrangeBanana
No, I literally didn't. I said people firm Oxford over Imperial because "it's Oxford". It's the prestige, the name.

Meh, whatever.

Being predicted A*A*A doesn't mean you'll get it. And there's no need to argue, just find some numbers for how many Imperial rejects get A*A*A and then find some numbers for how many science Oxford/Cambridge rejects get A*A*A (if you can). I'm pretty sure Cambridge science rejects will get it more often, considering how many of them go to Imperial. :teehee:

not sure what you mean, that was a winning roast

No, him putting his insurance as A*A*A (as well as me, for the record), shows that getting those grades is piss easy for most successful Cambridge applicants.

yeah it got no laughs because it was dead mate

There was actually no word on whether Imperial would've accepted him or not, as he did miss his offer.

What is your response even meant to entail? That getting A*A*A is piss easy? It doesn't actually contribute anything. He said that applicants applying to Cambridge have A*A*A, but not those of imperial, then he contradicted himself by saying he put Imperial as his insurance, when he had those predictions. : /

Also, if you'd remember, I never stated that Imperial was better than Cambridge, I said it was better than Oxford, specifically for engineering. The other guy went off-tangent to something separate and you went along with him.
Reply 72
Also, if you'd remember, I never stated that Imperial was better than Cambridge, I said it was better than Oxford, specifically for engineering. The other guy went off-tangent to something separate and you went along with him.

To remind you what you originally posted (and note it was a general statement, not specifically to do with engineering):

The average Imperial student probably has better A Level grades than the average Oxbridge student

You still haven't shown this to be true. Your entire proposition is a guess.
Original post by Claree
Most Cam students achieve higher than the standard offer, so the offer's just another hoop to jump through having got an offer. The average science student gets ~3A*, whereas the standard offer requires 2A*, and the average arts student gets ~2A*, whereas just one is required in the offer. The offers Cam gives out are usually exceeded by most offer holders. When Cam increased the standard offer in sciences a couple of years ago, it was just changing it closer to what most offer holders achieved anyway.

Imperial probably have high offers as a way of selecting applicants i.e. only the best make the offer.

It is in this sense that standard offers may not be representative of the calibre of the students selected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My original point centred around both Oxford and Cambridge, which likely means the statistics you've mentioned would probably be brought down to a level possibly lower than Imperial's. I mentioned earlier that Cambridge students would have better A Levels, though I don't think it's the case for the Oxford students. Imperial and Cambridge's requirements are comparable for quite a lot of science courses, though that's less the case for Oxford - and when you consider the plethora of AAA courses they have, it gives a good possibility that average imperial student may have better grades overall. https://www.ox.ac.uk/media/global/wwwoxacuk/localsites/gazette/documents/statisticalinformation/admissionsstatistics/Admissions_Statistics_2013.pdf

Page 26 shows that over 50% gain A*A*A or greater at Oxford for 2013.

I can't find any for Imperial
Original post by jneill
To remind you what you originally posted (and note it was a general statement, not specifically to do with engineering):

You still haven't shown this to be true. Your entire proposition is a guess.

You yourself offer an inflated statistic on the proportion of Oxford students gaining A*A*A or greater. As I said, this isn't something that can easily be concluded, due to a lack of data on Imperial's part.

Additonally, the conversation diverged from that statement to another, when someone mentioned that someone would firm Oxford over Imperial because it's better. I simply stated that it wasn't true in all cases, then highlighting engineering as being one of them.

Are you a Cambridge student too?
Reply 75
You yourself offer an inflated statistic on the proportion of Oxford students gaining A*A*A or greater. As I said, this isn't something that can easily be concluded, due to a lack of data on Imperial's part.

What do you mean inflated?

Source: https://www.ox.ac.uk/media/global/wwwoxacuk/localsites/gazette/documents/statisticalinformation/admissionsstatistics/Admissions_Statistics_2013.pdf

Acceptances for 2013 entry: A-levels
A*A*A*+ : 37.1%
A*A*A : 27.2%
A*AA : 24.0%
Add A*A*A*+ and A*A*A = 37.1% + 27.2% = 64.3% : where's the inflation?

And you admit your assertion can't be concluded due to your inability to provide any evidence at all. I gave you the numbers for Cambridge and Oxford. You failed to find anything for Imperial.

I'm glad you have withdrawn it.

Great talking with you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 76
ba dum tss
Original post by drowsybun
I want to know if anyone has this, or if anyone could help me out.

I've developed this complex recently that only Oxbridge is good enough, and all other unis are rubbish. I know it's unhealthy to think that way- I think it's probably due to me wanting to prove myself to my family? They're all ridiculously high achieving and all that, and I feel like I'd be a disappointment unless I got into Oxbridge, even if I got into one of the other Russel Group unis. Becuase I fell back in one of my As papers, thus severely weakening my grade (which would have been very good if it were just the coursework), unfortunately... Cambridge isn't in my sights anymore (though I'm still going to try applying)

Does anyone have any ideas that I could get over this complex? Or are any of you are suffering from the same thing?

Also bearing in mind that it was one of these 'Oxbridge' undergraduates, who called me a 'traitor to my race', because i married a black woman. Which just goes to show that they still seem to live in a backwards, cliquey, ivory tower, despite their *good* grades!!!!!
Original post by jneill
What do you mean inflated?

Source: https://www.ox.ac.uk/media/global/wwwoxacuk/localsites/gazette/documents/statisticalinformation/admissionsstatistics/Admissions_Statistics_2013.pdf

Acceptances for 2013 entry: A-levels
A*A*A*+ : 37.1%
A*A*A : 27.2%
A*AA : 24.0%
Add A*A*A*+ and A*A*A = 37.1% + 27.2% = 64.3% : where's the inflation?

And you admit your assertion can't be concluded due to your inability to provide any evidence at all. I gave you the numbers for Cambridge and Oxford. You failed to find anything for Imperial.

I'm glad you have withdrawn it.

Great talking with you.

You've given the numbers, because they're readily accessible on the Internet and naively assume they must be higher. There's also a fair portion getting AAA, how do you interpret that?

You still haven't commented on whether you're a Cambridge student or not. If you are, you have a clear bias with what you're saying.

Oxford's stats regard the best 3 A Levels. This is clearly in disadvantage of Imperial, where 4 A Levels in standard offers are common. You're artificially giving advantage to Oxford.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by john2054
Also bearing in mind that it was one of these 'Oxbridge' undergraduates, who called me a 'traitor to my race', because i married a black woman. Which just goes to show that they still seem to live in a backwards, cliquey, ivory tower, despite their *good* grades!!!!!

****ing hell

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending