The Student Room Group

I'm an Israeli soldier. AMA

Scroll to see replies

Guys this was supposed to be an AMA on interesting life path - not a political debate!

Please take it to another thread
Original post by Anonymous
Are you familiar with the 2000 Camp David Summit? That largely went along with what you've written in your 2nd paragraph. The 1967 border formed the basic outline of the proposed Palestinian state with land from Israel being given in exchange for retaining the largest settlements past the Green Line.

That was 16 years ago, Netanyahu has made it pretty clear that he opposes any Palestinian state and has a complete disregard for international law.

What are your thoughts on the illegal settlements and Jerusalem? Do you accept that even the U.S. opposes further illegal demolitions of Palestinian villages and construction of Jewish settlements? Netanyahu seems to use settlements as a populist way of getting votes, which suggests many Israelis are in support of Israel continuing to annex Palestinian land; defy international law; and render a two state solution ever less probable.

And yet Israel has de facto control over what happens in the West Bank - so an independent Palestine (which I support) would be made up of land that Israel has given.

You can't give what isn't (legally) yours. As I said, if I take a pizza someone donates to you, then give you back half of the pizza, that is not a 'concession'. Yet this is exactly the framework through which resolutions to the Israel/Palestine conflict are seen.
(edited 7 years ago)
Guys this was supposed to be an AMA on interesting life path - not a political debate!

I sympathise with this, it must get annoying how just because you are from Israel every discussion turns into a discussion about Israel/Palestine.

Do you feel as though people hold you responsible for everything the State of Israel does? :lol:

What are your goals in life? :h:
(edited 7 years ago)

When did Israel offer to give Palestine it's land back as you keep saying?
(edited 7 years ago)
At many 'summits' etc Israel have made offers to recognise the Palestinian State, but they have never been able to reach an agreement because of disagreements over (mostly): the right of return of Palestinians and the boundaries of the Palestinian State.

Israel will argue they have made generous offers, whilst Palestine will argue the offers were ridiculous and unjust. I tend to side with the latter, but as time goes on the feasibility of any contiguous Palestinian State will only decline (due to Israeli settlements on Palestinian Territories which make a Palestinian State unfeasible).

^ read this for a slightly more detailed summary
Original post by malebo55
i think the point is that when (as in the last conflict in 2014) 6 civilians are killed on the Israeli side, and over 1500 civilians are killed on the Palestinian side, that puts into question whether Israel are really acting in 'self-defence' and fulfilling its legal requirements of necessity and proportionality

Are you a military expert? You "point" has zero value.
Is there anything you miss about the UK?
Original post by admonit
Are you a military expert? You "point" has zero value.

This relates to international law on the use of force; I don't need to be a member of the JIDF to understand Israel's systematic disregard of international law.
This relates to international law on the use of force; I don't need to be a member of the JIDF to understand Israel's systematic disregard of international law.

Now you already are an expert in international law. :biggrin:
Original post by the bear
where do they put their insignia ?*

We actually get little necklaces with barcodes in for most of the time, moving them into ballistic vest pouch when situation requires :smile:
Original post by L'absurde
No sexual tension then?

Lots of young sexually liberated people living very close together for long periods of time... What do you think :wink:

I sympathise with this, it must get annoying how just because you are from Israel every discussion turns into a discussion about Israel/Palestine.

Do you feel as though people hold you responsible for everything the State of Israel does? :lol:

What are your goals in life? :h:

Most people I know personally don't really care where I'm from or what my job is. When it comes to people I've just met, especially Muslims and leftists/liberals, they often have an extremely negative view of me because of my nationality and will tell me all the usual spiel about Jews and Zionist conspiracy etc. And I was doing A-levels only a few months ago - quite the change!

I was originally going to go to a UK university to read law and do law things. Now I think I am well poised to move into private military/security/intelligence in later life :smile:

Original post by Ladymusiclover
Is there anything you miss about the UK?

Video games, Sky movies, my old clothes + shoes, double bed and lots of rain

Most people I know personally don't really care where I'm from or what my job is. When it comes to people I've just met, especially Muslims and leftists/liberals, they often have an extremely negative view of me because of my nationality and will tell me all the usual spiel about Jews and Zionist conspiracy etc. And I was doing A-levels only a few months ago - quite the change!
What do you define as the "usual spiel about Jews", though? I don't imagine people you meet would actually say anything outright racist.

I was originally going to go to a UK university to read law and do law things. Now I think I am well poised to move into private military/security/intelligence in later life :smile:

What prompted the change away from law?
(edited 7 years ago)
We actually get little necklaces with barcodes in for most of the time, moving them into ballistic vest pouch when situation requires :smile:
Lots of young sexually liberated people living very close together for long periods of time... What do you think :wink:

Video games, Sky movies, my old clothes + shoes, double bed and lots of rain

Don't forget the d :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by admonit
Now you already are an expert in international law. :biggrin:

Do you support Israel's military occupation of the Palestinian Territories?
Hey,

Something's gone wrong with this thread. I'm just fixing it now, give me a mo!
Right — there was a strange bug in this thread, I've fixed it now. Sorry about that!
Do you support Israel's military occupation of the Palestinian Territories?

Yes, as a necessary measure which provides security of Israel.
Do you support Palestinian terrorism?
What do you define as the "usual spiel about Jews", though? I don't imagine people you meet would actually say anything outright racist.

What prompted the change away from law?

Typical Internet trash of Jewish banking conspiracy, Jews control Isis, Jews did 9/11, Jews control the world - I've heard it all! I do acknowledge its uncommon to hear much in public, but the young political types just love to vent their rage at someone real when Facebook posts aren't enough

My original university offer was A*AA for law, but I only got AAA in the end. My IDF deferment was based on the domestic educational deferment that only allows students to go straight to university if they go to their first choice which is why I couldn't use clearing or an insurance choice.

Original post by TSR Mustafa
Don't forget the d :smile:

You really ought to get snapchat, it's such fun!

Spoiler

Original post by admonit
Yes, as a necessary measure which provides security of Israel.
Do you support Palestinian terrorism?

I think Palestinian attacks on civilians are not only morally dubious, but extremely counter-intuitive toward their political aims.

It allows Israel to justify their military occupation of the Palestinian Territories, so it just plays into Israel's hands.

I'm split on the chicken/egg issue of Palestinian rocket attacks on Israel and Israel's occupation of Palestinian Territories - that is to say, I am not sure which is a reaction to the other.

Typical Internet trash of Jewish banking conspiracy, Jews control Isis, Jews did 9/11, Jews control the world - I've heard it all! I do acknowledge its uncommon to hear much in public, but the young political types just love to vent their rage at someone real when Facebook posts aren't enough

My original university offer was A*AA for law, but I only got AAA in the end. My IDF deferment was based on the domestic educational deferment that only allows students to go straight to university if they go to their first choice which is why I couldn't use clearing or an insurance choice.

I've never seen that in real life, although obviously it's scarily common on the internet (but so is racism/bigotry/stupidity in general).

That's unlucky, couldn't you reapply the next year or apply again after your conscription? And why not study law at a university in Israel?
(edited 7 years ago)

You really ought to get snapchat, it's such fun!

Spoiler

Haram under the sheets or so the say
All i see here is some kid telling at another guy over the Internet about some stuff he has no say it control over.

It's always Jews this Jews that with you lot. 🙄

Quick Reply

Latest