The Student Room Group

Quotation marks around book titles?

I recently read Stephen Hawking's "Fifty Shades of Grey".

vs

I recently read Stephen Hawking's Fifty Shades of Grey.

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Talking about book titles in personal statement by the way, this isn't just a random question.
Italics plus quotes.
Reply 3
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Italics plus quotes.

Thanks I'll keep the quotation marks in then. I don't think you can do italics though in your PS.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Thanks I'll keep the quotation marks in then. I don't think you can do italics though in your PS.

I'm not sure either. Normally I would just use italics, but since I'm not sure if you can use italics in your personal statement that's why I say you should use quotes as well just in case.

vs

Thanks.

The former, and you definitely cannot use italics in a PS. Using both italics and quotation marks is a faux pas.

Wasn't Hawking's book called "A Brief History of Flagellation" though?
(edited 7 years ago)

vs

Thanks.

i read magenta

and

"MAGENTA"
Reply 7
Original post by Good bloke
The former, and you definitely cannot use italics in a PS. Using both italics and quotation marks is a faux pas.

Wasn't Hawking's book called "A Brief History of Flagellation" though?

Cheers! Pretty sure that was Isaac Einstein's book mate, easily confused though so I don't blame you.

By the way, if we go by character count (including spaces) my personal statement is ~83% academic as I've got a quite large amount of supra-curriculars but barely any extra-curriculars. Is that alright for a Physics application do you reckon?
Cheers! Pretty sure that was Isaac Einstein's book mate, easily confused though so I don't blame you.

By the way, if we go by character count (including spaces) my personal statement is ~83% academic as I've got a quite large amount of supra-curriculars but barely any extra-curriculars. Is that alright for a Physics application do you reckon?

Extracurriculars are of no account for most universities. You'll be fine.

Einstein's book was called "Ist die Trägheit eines Körpers hängt davon ab, wie viel es gepeitscht?"
Reply 9
Extracurriculars are of no account for most universities. You'll be fine.

Einstein's book was called "Ist die Trägheit eines Körpers hängt davon ab, wie viel es gepeitscht?"

Alright, thanks again.

Sorry I don't speak Swahili.

Sorry I don't speak Swahili.

Try Google translate.
Try Google translate.

Oh yes we had to read the English translation of that book for A-level Physics, our physics teacher got a bit too excited about it though.
Oh yes we had to read the English translation of that book for A-level Physics, our physics teacher got a bit too excited about it though.

Remember that subject names are common nouns and do not take initial capital letters (unless they are also the names of languages) and, crucially, never get involved in whipping with teachers.
Remember that subject names are common nouns and do not take initial capital letters (unless they are also the names of languages) and, crucially, never get involved in whipping with teachers.

Thank you, I'll keep both of those points in mind.
Thank you, I'll keep both of those points in mind.

If you don't you'll end up with more than just your homework marked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending