The Student Room Group

Am I too ambitious?!?

I have decided upon my 5 universities to apply to for Physics, and I want to know if they are too ambitious, and as a result I will not get offers?

Imperial - A*A*A
Warwick - A*AA
Nottingham - A*AA/AAA
Bristol - AAA
UCL - AAA

I know Imperial is a huge long shot but I thought I might as well try. I'm willing to change it to a lower one if there's only a small chance of an offer.

My AS results: ABBB in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology respectively (4UMS away from AAAA all together :bawling:)
A2 Predictions: A*AA in Maths, Physics and Chemistry respectively.
GCSEs (if relevant?): 6A 3B

I can definitely achieve A*AA minimum, and A*A*A if I revise more this year.
Your AS grades are looking alright, but it would take an imbecile to apply to all 5 unis asking for the same thing. That's not to say you won't get offers, but in the likelihood of getting all 5- the chances are really slim. At best they'll be looking for candidates that have already achieved all A's. I'll rethink about this and pick the ones asking for AAB/ABB/BBB because they are much easier to get into.
Original post by BigMan Ting
Your AS grades are looking alright, but it would take an imbecile to apply to all 5 unis asking for the same thing. That's not to say you won't get offers, but in the likelihood of getting all 5- the chances are really slim. At best they'll be looking for candidates that have already achieved all A's. I'll rethink about this and pick the ones asking for AAB/ABB/BBB because they are much easier to get into.

Thank you for the reply.

The 5 universities aren't all asking for the same thing? The range is AAA-A*A*A.

Also, why on earth would I apply to universities asking for lower than AAA when I almost got AAAA in my AS? I'm not willing to sell myself short regardless of if I got bad AS grades, I'd just have to apply after a gap year if I get no offers.
Original post by W. A. Mozart
I have decided upon my 5 universities to apply to for Physics, and I want to know if they are too ambitious, and as a result I will not get offers?

Imperial - A*A*A
Warwick - A*AA
Nottingham - A*AA/AAA
Bristol - AAA
UCL - AAA

I know Imperial is a huge long shot but I thought I might as well try. I'm willing to change it to a lower one if there's only a small chance of an offer.

My AS results: ABBB in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology respectively (4UMS away from AAAA all together :bawling:)
A2 Predictions: A*AA in Maths, Physics and Chemistry respectively.
GCSEs (if relevant?): 6A 3B

I can definitely achieve A*AA minimum, and A*A*A if I revise more this year.

No I don't think so. You might not get offers from all 5 but you will definitely get offers from at least 2 if those. Maybe Imperial is a bit unlikely but definitely worth a shot. I think they interview as well so you will have a chance to shine there :wink:
Thank you for the reply.

The 5 universities aren't all asking for the same thing? The range is AAA-A*A*A.

Also, why on earth would I apply to universities asking for lower than AAA when I almost got AAAA in my AS? I'm not willing to sell myself short regardless of if I got bad AS grades, I'd just have to apply after a gap year if I get no offers.

The point is you didn't get AAAA and it doesn't even matter if you were 1 ums mark off, the universities are WAY more likely to pick someone who did actually achieve AAAA.

I think it would be a good idea to not apply this year and get your grades then take a gap year and apply for what you want depending on the grades you have. Because if you apply for those uni's this year and don't get it, you can't reapply again next year for the same course and same uni even if you do have the grades.
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
No I don't think so. You might not get offers from all 5 but you will definitely get offers from at least 2 if those. Maybe Imperial is a bit unlikely but definitely worth a shot. I think they interview as well so you will have a chance to shine there :wink:

Thank you for the reply.

I did think Imperial was pretty much out of reach, but I may regret not applying and then start wondering if I would have got an offer:tongue:.

Also it's great to hear that I should get an offer from at least 2, i'd be happy to go to any of the 5 so i'm elated to hear that.
Original post by bluemadhatter
The point is you didn't get AAAA and it doesn't even matter if you were 1 ums mark off, the universities are WAY more likely to pick someone who did actually achieve AAAA.

I think it would be a good idea to not apply this year and get your grades then take a gap year and apply for what you want depending on the grades you have. Because if you apply for those uni's this year and don't get it, you can't reapply again next year for the same course and same uni even if you do have the grades.

Thanks for the reply.

Would I really not be able to apply to the same universities next year?? I have never heard of this before, could you link me to a source stating that please?
Thanks for the reply.

Would I really not be able to apply to the same universities next year?? I have never heard of this before, could you link me to a source stating that please?

Oh crap, my bad. I just looked into and you can reapply. I think I was just told this because I was applying to medicine :lol:

But I still think taking a gap year is smart because you wont have to worry about applications and stuff and can focus more on studies until next year when you actually have your grades. Unless of course you don't REALLY want a gap year unless you have to have one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bluemadhatter
Oh crap, my bad. I just looked into and you can reapply. I think I was just told this because I was applying to medicine :lol:

But I still think taking a gap year is smart because you wont have to worry about applications and stuff and can focus more on studies until next year when you actually have your grades.

Thank you for the reply.

Phew, I almost had a heart attack then:afraid:.

I was considering this option not so long ago, but I think i'm just going to apply anyway and see what happens. All of my application is complete so I have the whole year free to study away.
Thank you for the reply.

I did think Imperial was pretty much out of reach, but I may regret not applying and then start wondering if I would have got an offer:tongue:.

Also it's great to hear that I should get an offer from at least 2, i'd be happy to go to any of the 5 so i'm elated to hear that.

Yea don't worry. I had ABBB like you but all of the Bs were 1-2 marks off an A and I got offers from Durham, LSE, UCL, King's and even an interview from Oxford. I applied for history though :smile: I guess that could be easier than physics.
Yea don't worry. I had ABBB like you but all of the Bs were 1-2 marks off an A and I got offers from Durham, LSE, UCL, King's and even an interview from Oxford. I applied for history though :smile: I guess that could be easier than physics.

Thanks for the reply.

That's very impressive, congratulations!:biggrin:

That's gave me much more confidence now as they're even better than the universities i'm thinking of, and an Oxford interview as well.
Thanks for the reply.

That's very impressive, congratulations!:biggrin:

That's gave me much more confidence now as they're even better than the universities i'm thinking of, and an Oxford interview as well.

Oxford is weird, some people didnt get an interview with 5As at AS and 12 A*s at GCSE but some did with nothing like me. Also, they had an entry exam for History called HAT and I think they interviewed anyone who passed that. Maybe if they dont have an entry exam for physics you shouldn't apply because there is no reason for them to give you an interview then. Oxford kind of doesn't really read your personal statement.
Oxford is weird, some people didnt get an interview with 5As at AS and 12 A*s at GCSE but some did with nothing like me. Also, they had an entry exam for History called HAT and I think they interviewed anyone who passed that. Maybe if they dont have an entry exam for physics you shouldn't apply because there is no reason for them to give you an interview then. Oxford kind of doesn't really read your personal statement.

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't consider applying to Oxbridge, way out of my league:giggle:.
Reply 13
I'd change one to a slightly lower offer, and keep the rest the same. That way, you'll still be motivated to get high grades but at least you have a backup in case something goes wrong ( which won't happen 😄) It will take some pressure off you.
Thank you for the reply.

This is exactly what I might end up doing (gap year). Good on you and don't let anyone sway you.

Personally, I think you SHOULD get offers, but like you said, even if you don't, taking a gap year would be great^_^.

There is point studying somewhere you don't like. I'd rather get 5/5 rejections from places I want to study at than 5/5 offers from places I dont want to study at.

Good luck to you and I really hope you get offers this year!!:biggrin:
I have settled on:

Warwick - A*AA
Nottingham - A*AA/AAA
Bristol - AAA
UCL - AAA
St Andrews - AAA

I just had a few questions,

1. Would they take my UMS into consideration? As I was soooo close to getting AAAA will they consider this when deciding on whether to give me an offer?
2. Do any of these universities place a strong emphasis on GCSEs? I'm aware that my GCSEs are low so i'm hoping that they will care more about predicted grades.

Also if anyone else has an input on how likely I am at getting offers, it will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest