The Student Room Group

WhatsApp only

Will I be fine at university using WhatsApp only? (and Snapchat)
Reply 1
I am going to be honest with you.

While having just whatsapp and snapchat is great and better than nothing... you will be at a disadvantage. It's normal for people our age to have facebook. It makes things so much easier... easy to find people you just met and therefore to stay in contact. People feel more of a connection with you. It especially much easier if you are planning on joining a society. It's easier to see events going on and for people to invite you to them and for people to have group chats with you. Yes all this is possible on whatsapp but people use facebook more. I just think getting facebook is such a non-issue why would you disadvantage yourself or make life a bit harder for yourself? It's easy to make and you don't have to do anything.

If you had facebook and deleted it and don't want people to see it then just make a new one. It's better to have a new one and just explain you never had it or deleted it and have no friends on it at first than not having FB at all.
Yeh, almost all our group chats that we have are done through Facebook, just as it's easy on mobile, as well as in browser... Even a lot of people I speak to 1-1 is through Facebook Messenger as well (some texts...).
So should I make one as soon as I join on my first day so that I can explain to people then?
Original post by mobbsy91
Yeh, almost all our group chats that we have are done through Facebook, just as it's easy on mobile, as well as in browser... Even a lot of people I speak to 1-1 is through Facebook Messenger as well (some texts...).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Moura
I am going to be honest with you.

While having just whatsapp and snapchat is great and better than nothing... you will be at a disadvantage. It's normal for people our age to have facebook. It makes things so much easier... easy to find people you just met and therefore to stay in contact. People feel more of a connection with you. It especially much easier if you are planning on joining a society. It's easier to see events going on and for people to invite you to them and for people to have group chats with you. Yes all this is possible on whatsapp but people use facebook more. I just think getting facebook is such a non-issue why would you disadvantage yourself or make life a bit harder for yourself? It's easy to make and you don't have to do anything.

If you had facebook and deleted it and don't want people to see it then just make a new one. It's better to have a new one and just explain you never had it or deleted it and have no friends on it at first than not having FB at all.

I've just never had it... It's best to make it on my first day right? Instead of already make it and have no friends. Almost all the talk i do is on Whatsapp and Facebook eventually became unneeded in secondary school
Original post by particlestudent
So should I make one as soon as I join on my first day so that I can explain to people then?

Or just make one now?? I don't think you really need to explain to everyone about not having facebook... If you just create an account and download the messenger app, you've then covered most the bases in terms of whatever app people suggest using for a group, you've got it...
Original post by mobbsy91
Or just make one now?? I don't think you really need to explain to everyone about not having facebook... If you just create an account and download the messenger app, you've then covered most the bases in terms of whatever app people suggest using for a group, you've got it...

But then if I make one now, my profile will just look empty? Or do you mean make one now and do the adding later?
But then if I make one now, my profile will just look empty? Or do you mean make one now and do the adding later?

Well, waiting until someone wants to add you to a group, is going to be a hassle especially if you're in a busy social environment - really not conducive to creating a FB profile... I'd just make one now, add friends from your old school etc, and if anyone asks, just tell you them you only just made it. Tbh, no one really gave a damn how many friends everyone had when I started uni... Most people grow up a bit from when that happened at school.
Nah most of the students were completely nonplussed about what's app! Strange right, one of my most used apps but then again i have a lot of family on it and am part of numerous groups. If you want to be "in the know" then I would advise getting Facebook for messenger and group chats that way
Original post by neal95
Nah most of the students were completely nonplussed about what's app! Strange right, one of my most used apps but then again i have a lot of family on it and am part of numerous groups. If you want to be "in the know" then I would advise getting Facebook for messenger and group chats that way

I guess I will just make one
2016 and people use Facebook :banghead:
I'm in a similar position, except I don't have WhatsApp, Snapchat or any other social networking stuff. I have an email address and a mobile number, is that not enough? I always respond to texts quickly and I can give people that. I looked up group chats for my uni and there's hardly any so I don't feel like I'm missing out on much, but I guess I could make one if it turns out to be necessary.
Will I be fine at university using WhatsApp only? (and Snapchat)

Hello :smile:,

The easiest way to say it is, no. As some people have already stated you will be at a disadvantage if you just used these - yes, a lot of people have these apps but they aren't a foundation where most group chats take place.

It's a unfortunate truth that our generation, the majority of students use Facebook and Twitter and as annoying as Facebook can be - it's also great. It's easy to create groups, add people, share documents, start chats and what not and even most university SU's use Facebook and so do a lot of courses. So you could try using those apps but again, as people have said, you will be at a disadvantage.

Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest