The Student Room Group

deferred entry

I have a few questions about deferring.
1) Do universities give the same consideration to students applying for 2017 entry and those who are deferring for 2018 entry?
2) I am choosing to defer because of medical reasons. Do I have to mention this to the universities or in my personal statement or anywhere else on the application.
Yes you should get the same consideration. You don't need to mention you medical issues. Some people apply for the current year and get an offer, accept then defer the year of entry which means the offer they accepted is still valid for the following year and they don't need to reapply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
random one but can universities put conditions on your gap year? I mean deferred entry is not a big deal unless they say conditional based on what you achieve in your deferred year. in which case it would make more sense to reapply the following year because you now have no back up other then clearing.

is that plausible do uni's give conditions based on your deferred uni?
Original post by Luke7456
random one but can universities put conditions on your gap year? I mean deferred entry is not a big deal unless they say conditional based on what you achieve in your deferred year. in which case it would make more sense to reapply the following year because you now have no back up other then clearing.

as deferred entry depends on you meeting the entry criteria for *this* application cycle in time even though you want a place in the *next* application cycle, i'm unsure what you are concerned about ...
Reply 4
Original post by Luke7456

No.

The conditions are on your current academic year, not the gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You wouldn't have to mention your medical issues but a lot of universities do like to know WHY you're taking a gap year so it could be helpful for you to let them know
1) Depends on the university and course, but broadly yes you will be considered equally. If you're worried a quick search about deferring on each uni page should advise you better.
2) No, I didn't mention any plans for my gap year on my application at all. You may want to mention the medical issues on your UCAS form if you feel that the university may need to support you when you do start your studies, but otherwise they don't need to know.
If I have applied on my UCAS application for deferred entry in 2018, will university offers take longer to come through? I only sent it yesterday but I don't want to get worried if they spend longer considering deferred entry places.
Reply 8
Original post by Rebecca.Davis33
If I have applied on my UCAS application for deferred entry in 2018, will university offers take longer to come through? I only sent it yesterday but I don't want to get worried if they spend longer considering deferred entry places.

Makes no difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

if you have sent you application before the standard cut off date your should get your replies in the normal time frame ...

how each HEI and even dept treats deferred applicants is an internal matter.
Reply 10

As others said, it shouldn't make a difference! I was also worried since I applied for deferred entry in 2018 too, but I got offers / interview offers from all of the universities I applied to within a week of sending my application. Good luck :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending